Quantcast

Song of the Day

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
first british band to have SotD honors, but it won't the be last. that said, swervedriver were never a real typical UK band, really owing more to the huge distorted guitar sound which j mascis and others regularlly pummeled american audiences with.

this song, however, also nicely showcases their gradually transition to a more pop approach, w/ some 6Ts influence (think Kinks, not Herman's Hermits). from their 1995 release _Ejection Seat Reservaton_:

The Birds

why these guys were never huge is something which almost keeps me up at night. stevew, too.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
narlus said:
first british band to have SotD honors, but it won't the be last. that said, swervedriver were never a real typical UK band, really owing more to the huge distorted guitar sound which j mascis and others regularlly pummeled american audiences with.

this song, however, also nicely showcases their gradually transition to a more pop approach, w/ some 6Ts influence (think Kinks, not Herman's Hermits). from their 1995 release _Ejection Seat Reservaton_:

The Birds

why these guys were never huge is something which almost keeps me up at night. stevew, too.
LOVE LOVE LOVE SWERVEDRIVER!!!! Raise was a great album... I had that on Vinyl... a bunch of years back!!! I was listening to a lot of Neds Atomic back then too... I concur about them not becoming known... but at the same time I like the fact that they are a little known band!!!:thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Damn.

I haven't heard that song in about two years.

Good stuff you have posted.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
good stuff. :thumb: how about some dr. octagon next? i havent been able to find much stuff from him.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
i believe so, but why rip to .cda?
He's not ripping to CDA - the files on a CD actually are CDA files.

JBP, .cda files are strange. They're actually not music. They're just some kind of header information for the CD players to read. If you notice, when you copy them over they're only several dozen bytes apiece.

You have to use some kind of copying program to get music files from the data off a CD. If you want raw data, most copying programs will copy to WAV. If you want lossless audio, investigate ripping to FLAC - it's lossless (like WAV) but you get roughly 40% compression. Otherwise, decent quality MP3s still sound great.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
johnbryanpeters said:
Thanks. Can you point me to a dummies guide to ripping?
It's going to depend on the program you use.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Exact Audio Copy is a ripping program that works fairly slowly, but will actually recover many scratched CDs and will rip without making errors in your music files.

PM me if you go to use it and have questions.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
LAME is the internal compression engine. do a search for LAME3_92.zip or similar...

EAC and LAME work together (and well, i might add). i think i typed up a short tutorial for bluebug on this, if i can find it i'll send it along (and send you my config profile too, so you don't have to muck w/ the seemingly endless possibilities of parameter values).

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i already commented on this one in another thread, but since i'm bumping many threads today i might as well chime in again and see how consistent i am:

after the weird opening this song settles quickly in to C major. C major is a stereotypical "up" key, as evidenced by strauss' also sprach zarathustra (think 2001: a space odyssey) and, more recently, the Superman Returns theme song. i already mapped out the chords in that other post so won't do that again :) , but i can report that the song still has quite some appeal some 4.5 months after it was originally posted here. iTunes reports that i've played it 19 times, for instance...

verdict: upbeat + a more creative progression than most pop songs = replayability

:thumb: