Quantcast

Sony Action Cam

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Has anyone seen any real reviews on this new camera from Sony?

I have wanted a helmet camera for a very long time, the GoPro seems a little odd and the Contour seems expensive for what it is (compared to the GoPro).

The Sony doesn't look half bad and isn't priced up there with the Contour 2.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&storeId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666484197

What I wonder, is in this WiFi version, will you be able to sync it with your phone like the Contour to be able to able it nicely before shooting.

:edit: While I'm at at, is there a prefered brand or speed of SD cards that people use for video cameras? I'm assuming the cheap ones will give you errors?

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Has anyone seen any real reviews on this new camera from Sony?

I have wanted a helmet camera for a very long time, the GoPro seems a little odd and the Contour seems expensive for what it is (compared to the GoPro).

The Sony doesn't look half bad and isn't priced up there with the Contour 2.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=100803&storeId=20153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666484197

What I wonder, is in this WiFi version, will you be able to sync it with your phone like the Contour to be able to able it nicely before shooting.

:edit: While I'm at at, is there a prefered brand or speed of SD cards that people use for video cameras? I'm assuming the cheap ones will give you errors?
??? The Gopro is the best helmet cam on the market right now with amazing accessories.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The GoPro to me just looks a little goofy on a helmet. I like how the Contour and Sony are a bit smaller and streamlined. Mind you I'm also not looking to use a chest mount, I don't think.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
The contour 2 is expensive but the contour roam isn't. It's also very easy to build an adapter to gopro parts and use all there accessories. Roam is a great camera for the money.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The GoPro to me just looks a little goofy on a helmet. I like how the Contour and Sony are a bit smaller and streamlined. Mind you I'm also not looking to use a chest mount, I don't think.
So you won't use the best product because it looks goofy to you? A camera at that?

Also the new countour+2 is cheaper, countour roam is also decently priced.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I really think that Contour should get back a bit of market share, being able to check what you're recording on your phone or iPod is pretty cool and should make setup a breeze.

Also do Sony make the sensors for the GoPro or the Contour?

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I really think that Contour should get back a bit of market share, being able to check what you're recording on your phone or iPod is pretty cool and should make setup a breeze.
Has anyone used this feature? how well does it work? i cant find a video demo of it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So you won't use the best product because it looks goofy to you? A camera at that?

Also the new countour+2 is cheaper, countour roam is also decently priced.
I've seen some really ****ty footage from both, which is why I have delayed purchasing one. For their price, I'd think they could do better. But perhaps part of that is the way people compress the video?

For $369 up here, the Hero 2 comes with a few more mounts but it doesn't have the wifi feature.

I'm not saying the GoPro isn't good, its probably at the top of my list based on quality right now, until I read about this Sony one.

Help me swing one way or the other! haha

What is the battery life like on these?

Perhaps I should have just labeled this as general pov camera discussion..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
that 120fps at 720p feature looks good on paper. really would like to see some rl footage. bummer is the reduced angle when using the steadicam option
Sony has had some of those higher frame rates in some previously more expensive cameras before. I guarantee the resolution will be ****e. They're probably doing the same thing. Even their 8K FS700 they just came out with is noticeably worse at anything over 60p.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've seen some really ****ty footage from both, which is why I have delayed purchasing one. For their price, I'd think they could do better. But perhaps part of that is the way people compress the video?
It's actually quite difficult to maintain quality when publishing videos from any of these cameras on the internet.

I've built some custom premiere profiles to hold reasonable quality on output, however even then, if you use youtube for example, the quality will get shot down pretty hard upon recompression. Vimeo is a better bet, especially if you have a pro account that will allow download of the originally uploaded file (for longer than a week, which is free).

If you're talking about the raw footage, sure it could be better but I think it's more than sufficiently good, and of greater importance is trying to maintain its quality when editing, publishing and sharing.

For SD cards it's recommended you get an SDHC-10 card on the newer Go Pro's if you are using the higher end features, I'm sure slower SDHC cards will be fine too in most scenarios however you can get a Class 10 16gb for pretty cheap anyway.

Personally I think the Go Pro is the best of the bunch purely due to mounting options and quality of mounts, I personally think the chest cam is one of the best views on a DH bike though and the camera's design lends itself to that much better than the Contour and Sony. If that's not important to you then I'm sure you'd be happy with one of the others.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys that bicker over cheap consumer cameras have to remember..... ALL video cameras look like crap in low light, and they ALL can look really good when lit sufficiently. Look at all the gorgeous footage on gopro's site. 99% of that is because they choose very well lit scenarios.

The sample clips on that sony cam: not so much

Even the ability to render out edited clips depends far more on that than some encoding preset out of your editing program.