Quantcast

Sony pays to have crap played...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
robdamanii said:
Out the artist's end? As in, the artist has to pay?

The artist wasn't at fault, the label was. They pay it out of the label's pockets.
As in their music sucks bad enough the label has to entertain the thought of paying a station to play it.

So yes it would be funny if it eventually the money that Sony paid to get the songs played was taken out of the artists end.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
yeah how do you think they pick the crap that goes on the radio? Not driven by sales, more like the other way around these days...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
My local independant radio station just got caught accepting payola. It would be hard to be a station manager and turn down free trips and other perks in exchange for tweaking the playlist

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stiksandstones said:
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
SIRIUS
Honestly. It gives me great pain to listen to Sirius or XM. They just talk up the same bands that everyone bitches about.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the solution is: ipod + aux in on your stereo

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
what makes you think the ipod is the weakest link? some ghetto cnet review with no figures that said rio was better? anyway, my ipod photo has been struggling to put out enough sound when driving my senn hd600s :D so having an external preamp will certainly help.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Nah, I'm no c-net whore. I have listened to said devices with the same phones (my lovely Grados, a friends Sennhausers (??) and for kicks some Bose Quietcomfort 2s.). Cmon, you know it's true. :D Nah seriously, they all sound pretty great, I actually thought the iRiver H320 sounded best. (All the tracks we used for comparison were recorded at 192 or better). I've never heard any of em through a preamp though.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
get some shures in-ear buds and volume won't be a problem. you won't need an amp to drive 'em.
that's the thing, i tried (and returned) the etymotics er-6 hoping they'd be the magic bullet and they're no match for the open senns. yes, i shoved them in my ears really well so the seal was fine. i even tried them with the super flimsy adapter to connect to my custom molded musicians earplugs (they attach in place of the little -15, -25 dB tabs that do the actual noise reduction).

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
no, they were plenty loud, much louder than the senns at any given volume setting on the ipod. they just didn't have the soundstage or clarity (and were kind of weak in low frequencies -- i had to bump up the lows in the eq) that i was hoping for given the somewhat rave reviews.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
"didn't have the soundstange or clarity" that my sennheiser hd600 cans _do_ have when hooked up to the ipod. what conclusion, now? :D

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Your brand loyalty affects your aural sensitivity? J/K :D

Seriously, don't Senns bring out Bass and treble more than some phones? I seem to remember reading that on c-net... :p

Edit: Actually I suspose it's entirely possible that within a subtle range, external factors can affect your perception of sound. After all when you see a hot chick your pupils dilate to let in more light, a 'nice smell' is entirely personal preference, so why could the look or perceived quality of an object not affect the way you find it sounds?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
maybe closed ones do. not mine, which are open -- they're very flat throughout the whole frequency spectrum, which is what i wanted given that i listen to mostly classical.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah, The Grados I use are open and flat too. I had a stage when I was younger when all I wnated was MORE BASS but I've sort of grown out of that now. Most of the time anyway.

Edit: Holy **** I cleared 3000 posts!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have the 60s. I wouldn't have said they favour any part of the spectrum, though. Punchy, hmm, well, clear I'd say. You can certainly hear individual sounds more clearly than you can through other phones I tried. The only annoying thing about them is the cord is too damn long.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Good idea. I think the cord on the Grados is probably too thick though for that one. I usually just use a velcro cable tidy or just stuff it all in my pocket in dirty messy loops if I'm out walking. Normally I use tham at my desk at work though.