Quantcast

Soon......

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MG6 said:
why not get the SLR one?
Down the road i may, photography to me is more of a hobby, so i'm getting the hobbyists choice. i've only had a camera for a few years, no need goin pro now, if ever....
i mean i spend enough money on bikes, don't need to be spending it on glass as well. :p

splat

Nam I am
Skookum said:
Down the road i may, photography to me is more of a hobby, so i'm getting the hobbyists choice. i've only had a camera for a few years, no need goin pro now, if ever....
i mean i spend enough money on bikes, don't need to be spending it on glass as well. :p
It is only a Hobby for me too. But I went with the SLR the Digital Rebel. I love it ! the only thing though is it is a little Bulky to carry on the trails ( not that the wife will let me ) . any way that looks really sweet

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
suhweeet!
we have had a G2 for over 2 years now & it kicks ass.

I cant wait to see some lush PNW trails!

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Ill vouch for the slr's I have a eos10d (same thing as rebel just a little more heavy duty in the construction department.) The ability to change lense's to suit your shooting needs is unbeatable. Not that the canon you've chosen isn't sick, just food for thought

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SLRs are great. I will be upgrading to one. But for value, those all-in-one cameras are tough to beat. He's getting a lens that shoots f/2 @ 35mm and f/3 @ 140mm, plus a live LCD display, live histogram, swivel/tilt LCD, in a unit that can be tucked into a large jacket pocket.

A digital SLR will give better picture quality, for sure, and the flexibility can't be beat. But all of that is worthless if you've left it at home since it's bulky, or you only brought one lightweight lens. A lens for an SLR that shoots 35-140 @ f/2-f/3 is going to be huge and heavy...

The vast majority of the population, even amature photographers, will do far better with this kind of setup than with an SLR...

edit: hey, this was my 7000th post.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
splat said:
It is only a Hobby for me too. But I went with the SLR the Digital Rebel. I love it ! the only thing though is it is a little Bulky to carry on the trails ( not that the wife will let me ) . any way that looks really sweet
i was looking at those and thinking about goin SLR, but i remember seeing Toshi having to pack his around, and weighing MikeD's comments on when you bring an SLR to a ride, photography takes a front seat. That's really something i want to avoid.
When i take my camera on a ride, it's because i'm inspired to share, and to record some moments. Some of my rides are so frikkin cool i don't want to be burdened with a camera. i would like it to remain fun so i'm trying to find the middle ground in all aspects of mt. biking photography, if that makes any sense....
But i know the time may arise when i may get sick of sharing all of the sick panorama views all to myself, and i'll wish i had bought an SLR, to tote a 5 millyun dollar camera and lens to the top of the mountain. But not today...

TN said:
I cant wait to see some lush PNW trails!
Better yet you two should come up here and ride, i'd set you guys up with the Skookie ride package plan. You guys might love it too much and never return. :) Don't tell pnj i told you that though.....

binary visions said:
SLRs are great. I will be upgrading to one. But for value, those all-in-one cameras are tough to beat. He's getting a lens that shoots f/2 @ 35mm and f/3 @ 140mm, plus a live LCD display, live histogram, swivel/tilt LCD, in a unit that can be tucked into a large jacket pocket.

A digital SLR will give better picture quality, for sure, and the flexibility can't be beat. But all of that is worthless if you've left it at home since it's bulky, or you only brought one lightweight lens. A lens for an SLR that shoots 35-140 @ f/2-f/3 is going to be huge and heavy...

The vast majority of the population, even amature photographers, will do far better with this kind of setup than with an SLR...
You truly are the voice of reason.... and to add anything is better than the aging ailing junker of a finepix 2800Zoom. it's gotten to the point where i actually dreaded taking the camera out since 4 out of 5 shots simply were completely out of focus while the few that would turn out still were blurry and distorted, if you've seen any of my ride picture threads you may have noticed. Now all that will change and i am happy.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
My 2cents.

I have a G3. Great little camara for it's day. It has all the custom controls of the big guys and it's a great way to learn if your a Derek in the Ruff, or if you would rather point and ride. Other than that, they are too much "middle of the road" and both sides suffer. It's just nice/cumbersom enough that it will inhibit your natural behavior. [Must protect it because it was bank. Must play with fancy controls. Yada yada.] Conversly, it's just inferior enough that you will never get the shot you really really want. [The DOF is still nothing like an SLR] Find a quick shooting trail camara that's tiny and cheap. The processors are getting faster, I think Fuji has a lightning fast one for under $300. When you click the button, that's the picture you get - in focus. No more of this click, and you get a blurry pic from 30 seconds later. It sounds like this is what you after. But ...

The Digital Rebel is cheap and not that much larger. If your going to go this high end ... you might as well get there. The G-Series is NOT a pocket camara. This is just one monkey's opinion.

splat

Nam I am
Skookum said:
i was looking at those and thinking about goin SLR, but i remember seeing Toshi having to pack his around, and weighing MikeD's comments on when you bring an SLR to a ride, photography takes a front seat. That's really something i want to avoid.
When i take my camera on a ride, it's because i'm inspired to share, and to record some moments. Some of my rides are so frikkin cool i don't want to be burdened with a camera. i would like it to remain fun so i'm trying to find the middle ground in all aspects of mt. biking photography, if that makes any sense....

it makes perfect sense .that is why I have the SLR but on my trail rides I still take my Beat up HP 315 ( 2.1 MP ) with me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BuddhaRoadkill said:
The Digital Rebel is cheap and not that much larger. If your going to go this high end ... you might as well get there. The G-Series is NOT a pocket camara. This is just one monkey's opinion.
I have to disagree with your statement about the digital rebel.

The Digital Rebel, with the kit lens, is not that much larger. But when you get down to it, the kit lens is a piece of junk, and quality glass is what makes a digital SLR so bulky. Not the body. Quality glass is pounds and pounds of weight and exponentially increases what you're carrying.

I think if you really reside on one side or the other of your equation - that is, if you're just a snapshot, family pictures type guy, or if you're on the other side and demand pro level pictures, then you may be right. But these middle of the road cameras - like 5" travel trail bikes - reside in a niche that make them extremely valuable to people who aren't quite in one place or the other.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BuddhaRoadkill said:
My 2cents.

I have a G3. Great little camara for it's day. It has all the custom controls of the big guys and it's a great way to learn if your a Derek in the Ruff, or if you would rather point and ride. Other than that, they are too much "middle of the road" and both sides suffer. It's just nice/cumbersom enough that it will inhibit your natural behavior. [Must protect it because it was bank. Must play with fancy controls. Yada yada.] Conversly, it's just inferior enough that you will never get the shot you really really want. [The DOF is still nothing like an SLR] Find a quick shooting trail camara that's tiny and cheap. The processors are getting faster, I think Fuji has a lightning fast one for under $300. When you click the button, that's the picture you get - in focus. No more of this click, and you get a blurry pic from 30 seconds later. It sounds like this is what you after. But ...

Waaaaylp i already bought the G6. So it's a little late now, thanks alot pal... :mad: hehe
actually i started out with this camera for nearly the same cost a few years back.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1000195214.html
i bought the G6, a Dane-elec 1 gig flash, and an extra battery for $695 shipped. So i don't think i did too bad for cost, or upgrade. Also when i really don't have too much money still i'm coming off a record low year after breaking my leg last year during my busy work season. So i understand all the points, but it's not my time for an SLR and i may not ever really feel as if i "need" an SLR. Things may change, it's all good, i'm sure i'll revisit how i feel after a few years and possibly during more prosperous times as well.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've got a G2 which still doesn't come out on the trails (need to get a DSLR before that moves down the pecknig order)....skooks, what are you planning on to do to keep the PacNW moisture off it?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
merrrrjig said:
I would get an SLR I have the 20D and its the greatest thing on earth!
:stupid:

Well, I don't actually OWN a 20D. I just bought one for work, but I did borrow it this weekend to take pics of the party I threw for my wife. Man, it rocks. And FAST. If I did get one, I would never take it riding with me, unless I specifically went out to shoot. I have an S500 that I take riding. Its a great little camera, but after playing with the 20D for a few weeks now, I'm jones'n for a digital SLR.

Skookum, I think you will love the G6. I still have my "old" G1 and still use it out every now and then. For indoor low light shots, its faster and more accurate than my S500.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
splat said:
It is only a Hobby for me too. But I went with the SLR the Digital Rebel. I love it ! the only thing though is it is a little Bulky to carry on the trails ( not that the wife will let me ) .
Hey - that's the boat I'm in. I skied on Friday and had to take the 5 year old Olympus with me 'cause the wife didn't want me smashing the D70. :mad:

-S.S.-

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have an slr (film not digi) & would never consider taking it on a ride & to tell you the truth since we got the g2 i dont think I have even shot a roll of film on it since then. but I did shoot with a friends digi rebel & was very impressed. it felt just like my film slr.

a couple of shots with the digi rebel.

a shot with the g2.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Skookum said:
Waaaaylp i already bought the G6. So it's a little late now, thanks alot pal... :mad: hehe
Anytime :p

You'll love it, and we'll love the shots you share. The G-Series has one feature that sinks even superior quality camara's ... the rotating LCD.
BESTEST FEATURE EVER ! :thumb: Spoils you rotten. Other camara's become unusable and prehistoric feeling. .... damn, now I want to go take pictures.

Here kitty kitty kitty ...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
holy carp! a new camera that's gunna take super duper nice pics.
:thumb:
with the rain we've had there should be plenty of moss out on the trails. go shoot some!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
oly said:
I bet you still take crappy pics with it... peoples heads all cut off and stuff......
Has the thought ever occured to you that i cut off the heads of some riders within the picture for a reason?

MMike said:
...pics of his thumb...
Only slightly more interesting and artistic than shooting your back hair.

narlus said:
....skooks, what are you planning on to do to keep the PacNW moisture off it?
it really don't rain all that much here, i did buy an otter box that the Fuji never could fit into.. DOH! maybe the G6 will fit and/or a ziploc could work in a pinch, but i suppose i'll be more selective in when and where i take this camera.
Cross that bridge....

pixelninja said:
Skookum, I think you will love the G6. I still have my "old" G1 and still use it out every now and then. For indoor low light shots, its faster and more accurate than my S500.
awesome, i take alot of pics under forest canopy so i'm pretty stoked.
Plus i'm gonna buy Photo Shop too, so i'll be good on the editing end of things as well.

pnj said:
holy carp!

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Very cool

I just picked up a used Canon EOS-5 35mm film camera. Vertical grip with motor drive... Braaapph 5fps, eye focus.... All sortsa stuff. All my other cameras are full manual. This is the first Canon, and auto focus camera I have shot with. But I like it so far. A little bday present to my self.