Quantcast

Soooo...my truck caught on fire..

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
on the way home from the NORBA Nat'l at Sugar Mtn yesterday. i guess it was finally her time :(

130k miles for an 88 S-10 isn't too bad, besides, it was free :thumb:

noah did well when i popped the hood and discovered the source of the smoke. he grabbed all of his stuff out of the truck and set it on the sidewalk while i ran to get the fire extinguisher.

so...anyway, i'm in the market for a cheap form of transportation and i found this in my searching.

1993 Volkswagon Eurovan
1993 VOLKSWAGEN EUROVAN, 134K mi, alot of new parts, new timing belt/water pump/tensior/tires/cv joint/brakes/cd player/over 4k in repairs. Cold a/c, etc. $2,000 FIRM! FIRM!,

anybody have any feedback on these? i'll be using it for riding and getting around town but the big plus of it is that we'll have a 2nd vehicle that can hold my army of kids.

his original asking price was $2,700 but he just wants it out of his yard.

good idea or should i look elsewhere? the other cars in my price range are a subaru legacy wagon or an old beat-up nissan pick-up. i'm not looking for some cool new car or anything, just a point A - point B vehicle that i can put a lot of stickers on :D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
eurovans are cool, but those from that era are supposed to be dog slow. on the other hand, i don't recall hearing horror stories about the 5 cylinder (i think) powerplant breaking down either. i'd go for it :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
jonKranked said:
idk 134k is a lot of miles. more than your vehicle that just died :confused:

but it's a VW and my truck was a POS chevy. besides, for my budget of $2k i'm not going to find anything with less miles. $2k in cash for a vehicle that runs and fits my needs is better than making payments on a more expensive car that runs and meets my needs.

i also found a 91 volvo wagon with 134k miles for $1,695.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Toshi said:
eurovans are cool, but those from that era are supposed to be dog slow. on the other hand, i don't recall hearing horror stories about the 5 cylinder (i think) powerplant breaking down either. i'd go for it :thumb:
heck, i don't care about speed in my personal vehicle...i get to drive fast at work :D

i figured that it's big enough to keep the middle seats in and still fit the bikes in the back. the guy selling it said he used it as a work van and it held a lot more stuff than his full sized pickup.

he guesstimated it at 20-23mpg, which isn't unbearable for my budget and the ability to cary the kids around.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Manimal,

Get a jeep cherokee. The 4.0 v6's last forever, and you should EASILY be able to find a 89-95 model in your price range. They nearly always go over 200K, and they are easy to fix and have cheap parts and a very useful 4x4 (which you may not be looking for, but its a bonus). They are cheap and everywhere in the south, and the bodies hold up well.
I got my 93 for a thousand bucks. Its a 180k now and still runs great.
Seriously. Consider it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
manimal said:
on the way home from the NORBA Nat'l at Sugar Mtn yesterday. i guess it was finally her time :(

130k miles for an 88 S-10 isn't too bad, besides, it was free :thumb:

noah did well when i popped the hood and discovered the source of the smoke. he grabbed all of his stuff out of the truck and set it on the sidewalk while i ran to get the fire extinguisher.

so...anyway, i'm in the market for a cheap form of transportation and i found this in my searching.

1993 Volkswagon Eurovan
1993 VOLKSWAGEN EUROVAN, 134K mi, alot of new parts, new timing belt/water pump/tensior/tires/cv joint/brakes/cd player/over 4k in repairs. Cold a/c, etc. $2,000 FIRM! FIRM!,

anybody have any feedback on these? i'll be using it for riding and getting around town but the big plus of it is that we'll have a 2nd vehicle that can hold my army of kids.

his original asking price was $2,700 but he just wants it out of his yard.

good idea or should i look elsewhere? the other cars in my price range are a subaru legacy wagon or an old beat-up nissan pick-up. i'm not looking for some cool new car or anything, just a point A - point B vehicle that i can put a lot of stickers on :D
If it is an auto, forget it.

VW auto trannies define the phrase "the suck".

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
BurlyShirley said:
Manimal,

Get a jeep cherokee. The 4.0 v6's last forever, and you should EASILY be able to find a 89-95 model in your price range. They nearly always go over 200K, and they are easy to fix and have cheap parts and a very useful 4x4 (which you may not be looking for, but its a bonus). They are cheap and everywhere in the south, and the bodies hold up well.
Seriously. Consider it.
while this is sane advice, the cherokee isn't all that big inside (both in absolute terms but especially when compared to the eurovan), and my family had problems with ours, for what that's worth.

RideSiK

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
australia
what a co incedence...

around the otherside of the world, my suby caught fire on the weekend...

92 Lseries, with 230 k km on the clock

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
BurlyShirley said:
Manimal,

Seriously. Consider it.

but what kind of gas milage do cherokees get?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
VWs can have serious issues. If you only need basic transport and lots of room, I would look elsewhere.

The VW auto is notorious. Electrical gremlins are common. Parts are pricey. At 134k, your going to be replacing lots of parts on whatever you get.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My ex has a 93 Passat that has had more work in the last 10 years than the sticker price when it was new. The trans has gone out twice and the elcertical issues awful.

You would have much better luck with the Volvo if it fits everyone. The Volvo 240's are everywhere around here and everyone loves them, I think the 240's are a little oleder.

RideSiK

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
australia
it sounds like you have seriously low km expectations of your cars...

id be pissed if an engine didnt last 500k (had an old suby that was going strong after 570km but my brother wrote it off into a tree)

what i mentioned above how it caught fire, it was a minor electircal fire shoudl cost me about 200$ to fix...

ive had an old holden v8 that was still going strong after 450k hard km

anyway jjust wanted to find out how long youd expect a car engine to last ??

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
I had a Eurovan with the inline five (Audi block) that was a manual.

It was very pratical/reliable but underpowered for such a large vehicle. I onlyput 50k miles on it before I sold it (replaced with a company car).

My Bro-in-law recently bought a used VR6 powered Eurovan that has 80k+ miles and it's really solid.

FWIW.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
RideSiK said:
anyway jjust wanted to find out how long youd expect a car engine to last ??
these days, its reasonable to expect a car to last at least 200k miles. For an 80s pickup, 150k miles is doing good. Just my opinion, of course.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
IF your talkin vans, get a Chevy astrovan! I had one before my current pickup and the thing ruled. I drove it everywhere and sold it with 190,000 miles on it. I did regular maintenance and it ran awesome the day I sold it. It had probably the best motor out of little vans you'd find too (4.3L v6) I basically smoked the tires everywhere for fun

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
manimal and ridesik are both about to be sucked into the core of the earth... opposite sides of the world and both cars catching on fire @!~#$~!@#% demons !!!!

not wanting to offend anyone here but in oz (my part anyway), vws have a nickname... it escapes me at the moment..... but it s something to do with ol 88 AH and revenge... :)

holdens rock... one of my fave cars i had was a holden hq wagon... cherry nick, got it for 1200 from one of the old mans mates... sold it later for 2K... shoulda never sold it... had over 250K km on it as well...

on topic - i dunno manimal... not much in decent (read reliable) vehicles for 2g these days... good luck

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
seth505 said:
IF your talkin vans, get a Chevy astrovan! I had one before my current pickup and the thing ruled. I drove it everywhere and sold it with 190,000 miles on it. I did regular maintenance and it ran awesome the day I sold it. It had probably the best motor out of little vans you'd find too (4.3L v6) I basically smoked the tires everywhere for fun
I wrecked one of those once. Good times. Sure as hell hauled a lot of stuff, but got craptastic mileage, and it wasn't easy to change the seating arrangement to stuff bikes and crap in. Not to mention it was one of the absolute worst handling vehicles I'd ever driven.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
after reading some reviews in the VW i think i'll stay away from it. too pricey to fix if something goes wrong. i almost forgot that dickiesbike1 said he'd sell me his subaru wagon for $2k. rebuilt motor with +/- 40k miles, all wheel drive, good gas mileage and can fit the kids if need be. i'm not necessarily looking for a kid hauler but just about anything with 4 doors is an improvement over my 2 seater s-10. i just need something to drive that pay for in cash now as i don't have enough saved up to buy a newer one in cash.

BS - i'll stay away from the jeeps, my brother had 2 of them and neither made it to 100k miles w/o serious problems. i really just don't trust american cars made before 99 or so.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
So, your vehicle caught fire, did it?

SUV owners who are faced with rising gas prices have found a new way to get out from under their high car payments — arson.

This trend was spotted by a Southern California arson task force in the summer of 2005 when gas prices spiked. At one point, firefighters responding to a report of a vehicle fire arrived at the Los Angeles River Bed to find two SUVs burning at the same time.

Investigators found the arson-for-hire ring involved a new-car dealership in Cerritos, California. Debt-weary SUV owners contacted the finance manager, hoping to trade in their gas-guzzler for something cheaper. They were then put in touch with an arsonist who told them to leave the keys in the ignition and $300 cash in the glovebox. An arsonist would then take the car to a remote location and set it afire. After the car was torched, the owners would then contact their insurance company and report their vehicle stolen, expecting their debt to be cancelled. Instead, they were investigated for insurance fraud.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i'd look for a used pickup..or if u want get a van, by me they got a nice one, 3/4 ton axles and 70k approx...timing belts aren't exspensive, a/c just got recharged i bet, when they say new brakes they usually just mean pads, i doubt he redid the fluid, the lines, and everything..water pumps are cheap too,like 50 bucks..tires are like 200, and so on, i don't think that could add up to 4k in repairs unless you are counting labor and body/physical work done..if he did 4k in repairs he could have a 454 and maybe a blower in tehre!:rofl: i work on my truck all the time, and i got dicked over enough with it (and i just had a fire from the cab into the engine so i know whatcha going through) if you really wanted the thing(which you probably don't) i would put a new cheap straight 6 in there or something..but i would suggest looking elsewhere, since you replace one thing, the weaker part will break and it goes all downhill from there, trust me on that one..anyways, definately look into an old suburban, you can fit like 600 bikes in there if you get a 1980 something..but w.e. u do, don't spend 2g on a thing with that many miles, you'll spend the costof the truck replacing the engine/transmission and everything else on it within a year..look around on truck forums(local ones are best) like if you are in ca. go to pacifickrawlers, say habitatxskate send you, go into the wanted and say what you need..same if you go to NJfourwheelers.com hense nj..those would be the best places since the guys know what they are giving youl, and you weant to make sure eveyrhing is fine..if they took something apart 100 times(over a super long periodof time, or with other people's trucks) they know when it is working or if it isn't..i like trucks :)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i second the chevy/gmc van

i drove my forever. you can roll dh bikes in

w/o hitting the headliner. most minivans are

not tall enough for that

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
ya, the van does not handle great and not the greatest mileage, but its still the best your gonna get that can haul bikes and not be a v8 (lot better mileage than my current ram).
I see what your saying about the configuration but I actually got the contractor type astro with no rear seats/windows. Then you can have all the room or build whatever you want back there for stuff. At that point its pretty much a dedicated race vehicle though, sucks for driving around friends or even worse girls aha. Though it was fun goin to dirtjumps and having friends bounce around in the back until their ribs were almost broke

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Around here, we will do shuttles with just like 4 guys or so.
The best vehicle ever for that was an Astro. We could just roll our DH bikes right in, and have AC on the ride up.
Plus, little girls walk up to the van and ask if you have any candy.:)

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
That Van looks good to me. Maybe ask the people on the VW board?

It would be prime if you could drop one of the TDI engines in that breadbox.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
ahahaha..i got a pickup, but i can't drive it yet, i'm 15..its got a lift, and all that fun stuff, new engine..but a 6 1/2 foot bed is good enough to hold 10 bikes if you put them perpendicular like a T the - being the bike sideways and the l being the bed lengthwize..got that? lol