Quantcast

Sora Triple to 105 upgrade

bmac

Chimp
Sep 19, 2009
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2000&Brand=Trek&Model=1000+Triple&Type=bike

The above link is the bike that I currently own. All the specs are pretty much the same except for a saddle/pedal/wheel set upgrade that I have done. I don't currently have the funds for a new bike but am interested in any other upgrades that I may do. For this frame I am not interested in upgrading further than 105 and would like to know what the easiest upgrade to start with would be. I have a feeling that because it is a Sora Triple, things may be a bit more tricky. I have read other posts saying that on a Sora, the rear derailleur is one thing that can be upgraded without having to pay for a ton of other stuff. I appreciate any recommendations on the steps I can take to go about this process.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A Shimano 105 drive train would be a significant improvement over SORA but... I don't think its going to give you anymore satisfaction a piece at time. If it where me I'd hold off on the upgrades something actually breaks.

The most important component of any bike is the frame, many mass manufactures draw attention away from poorly constructed frames by putting something bright and shiny where you're most likely to look... carefully inspect your frame and reflect on how it rides and then ask yourself if the frame is worth upgrading.

EDIT: Welcome to the Monkey. :)

Last edited:

bmac

Chimp
Sep 19, 2009
Thanks serial midget for the advice. When I purchased my bike several years ago I really wasn't into biking yet and unfortunately didn't go to a great bike shop. They put me on a bike frame that is much bigger than it should be. It would probably be best to just wait til I can go for a complete new bike.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
You *might* be able to upgrade your RD, but I wouldn't recommend it. You won't notice much improvement, and the number one thing you should be focused on should be fit. I'd rather ride a Sora road bike that fit instead of a Dura Ace that didn't. I'd say ride this for a little while longer while saving money, and plan on selling it and getting an entirely new bike. You'll be able to get the frame that'll fit, and a drivetrain that will feel better than Sora. Don't discount SRAM or even Campagnolo drivetrains either, as I personally prefer the way that they feel over Shimano.

Also, make sure that you look at the drivetrain as a complete package. Upgrading the RD does virtually nothing to how the shifting is going to feel and perform. Sora shifters (and 2200 below it) in particular use a particularly inferior thumb-lever that I can't stand, so to me the Shifter/Brake Levers are more important than the derailleurs or cassette. Also beware when you're purchasing a bike whether the components are all of one level, or whether the manufacturer put a Dura Ace RD on a 105-level bike.

Oh, and lastly, whatever you do, DO NOT road test a high-end carbon framed road bike. It's as addictive as crack, and probably more expensive...

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Check out bikes speced with the Sram Rival groupo, incredible bang for the buck.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Oh, and lastly, whatever you do, DO NOT road test a high-end carbon framed road bike. It's as addictive as crack, and probably more expensive...
:stupid:

After it hits your hands it's all down hill from there :D If you are thinking about a used bike I would buy used. If you know the dimensions you would like you can buy used over the Internet and if not I would look on Craigslist so you can actually ride the bike around and check it out.