Quantcast

Sore hands

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Stupid question:

Anyone else get sore in the meaty part of your hand (ring and pinkie half of the palm) after a lot of riding? I imagine so, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience remedying this problem. Do larger diameter grips help?

My hands still kill from riding last Sunday...

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
kinda similar...
I get these large painless swells that come out of the back of my hand after a lot of riding.
some times they tingle

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Stupid question:

Anyone else get sore in the meaty part of your hand (ring and pinkie half of the palm) after a lot of riding? I imagine so, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience remedying this problem. Do larger diameter grips help?

My hands still kill from riding last Sunday...

Maybe I'm just getting old.
Ride moar.

I just hop myself up on tylenol and ibuprofen before, during, and after. Seems to work alright.

Trying to hold onto my coffee cup this morning after riding Whistler all Tuesday was a challenge though...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
For me, when I switched to a larger diameter and/or squishier grip, my hands just got more tired ( & not as sore...but I'll take sore over tired and not being able to hang on...) more quickly.

So I just went back to normal shizz and medicated myself.

*shrug*

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Large grip/soft grip/carbon bars/longer bars/ride more/set up your susp softer. Choose one.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
Ride moar.

I just hop myself up on tylenol and ibuprofen before, during, and after. Seems to work alright.

Trying to hold onto my coffee cup this morning after riding Whistler all Tuesday was a challenge though...
if you are taking large/frequent doses of ibuprofen make sure you are drinking a lot of water too. that stuff is really corrosive to your stomach.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Try some Oury grips and push your elbows out more, especially in the rough stuff. It will keep your arm/wrist/hand in better alignment and spread the shock across your whole hand, not just to the outside.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
if you are taking large/frequent doses of ibuprofen make sure you are drinking a lot of water too. that stuff is really corrosive to your stomach.
Not only that but it is killing your esophagus, your kidneys and you can become dependent on it, making the normal dosage too weak and making you take more and more.

Trust me on that, I have a family member that would take way too much everyday to counteract pain and it is nothing but bad things now.

Not saying that you are but definitely be careful.

To answer your question, drink plenty of water before, during and after. Also try going to the Sunline half waffle. They are very comfortable where they need to be and they are also only 90g for the set.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Try some Oury grips and push your elbows out more, especially in the rough stuff. It will keep your arm/wrist/hand in better alignment and spread the shock across your whole hand, not just to the outside.
The oury grips do feel pretty huge. I'd likely feel a difference. As for pushing my elbows out, seems like that would torque my hands even more onto the karate chop edge.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Yeah. When I ride Whistler I usually go through about 2 gallons of water a day. And I never hit the pills more than 2 days in a row. My trips are spaced out enough that dependence (...on pills...riding is another story...) is a non-issue for me

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
Hands like canned hams.

Actually, no. I don't have big hands. Delicate girly hands it seems.
I have slimmer hands as well. I wear a large (10) glove from most brands, but can squeeze into mediums (8). My experience has been that the larger, softer grips, like the ODI Rogue, fatigued my hands more quickly and were more difficult to hold onto after time. The slimmer grips I've used have worked better for me, like the ODI Ruffian or Lizard Skins Charger.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
As for pushing my elbows out, seems like that would torque my hands even more onto the karate chop edge.
Nope. It's counter intuitive for sure but it really helps, in more than one way.

Put your arms straight out and grab the grips. With the sweep on most bars (not all) your wrist will be bent inward. This puts the weight of your upper body on the outside meat of your hand and your ulnar nerve.

Now bend outward at the elbow, lowering your upper body and slightly forward. Your wrist will be in a straight neutral position in relation to your lower arm. Shock and pressure is more evenly distributed across your hand and the neutral position of the wrist is the strongest possible. (less arm pump too).

Caveat - your triceps will burn for the first several rides but once the balance of strength is there you will feel less beaten up and your hand and wrist pain may be reduced.

Worked for me anyway.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Nope. It's counter intuitive for sure but it really helps, in more than one way.

Put your arms straight out and grab the grips. With the sweep on most bars (not all) your wrist will be bent inward. This puts the weight of your upper body on the outside meat of your hand and your ulnar nerve.

Now bend outward at the elbow, lowering your upper body and slightly forward. Your wrist will be in a straight neutral position in relation to your lower arm. Shock and pressure is more evenly distributed across your hand and the neutral position of the wrist is the strongest possible. (less arm pump too).

Caveat - your triceps will burn for the first several rides but once the balance of strength is there you will feel less beaten up and your hand and wrist pain may be reduced.

Worked for me anyway.
My elbows are definitely bent while riding, but are you suggesting I exaggerate the bend?

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
I have these and I've noticed them to actually make my fingers quite sore, and give me nice blisters (Compared to my old ones) because they like move around a bit because of the design. Try a buddy's pair of grips for a day and see if there's any difference imo.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have these and I've noticed them to actually make my fingers quite sore, and give me nice blisters (Compared to my old ones) because they like move around a bit because of the design. Try a buddy's pair of grips for a day and see if there's any difference imo.
I wear gloves. For feel, I like the grips.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have slimmer hands as well. I wear a large (10) glove from most brands, but can squeeze into mediums (8). My experience has been that the larger, softer grips, like the ODI Rogue, fatigued my hands more quickly and were more difficult to hold onto after time. The slimmer grips I've used have worked better for me, like the ODI Ruffian or Lizard Skins Charger.
I wear a size 12 glove, I might be able to squeeze into an 11 but I wear them out stupid fast, that was the whole reason I went with the rogue in the first place.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
i have to same problem. got bigger grips and that seemed to help a bit. how hard are you squeezing your bars when you ride?
Probably too hard. I seem to have upped my game a bit lately, and going way faster than usual. I'm likely death gripping.

OB1

Monkey
Good luck dealing with your sore hands. I hear some good advice. But if I could step back, and step up to the soap box, let me say this. Clinching is the bane of every downhiller. If you try "too hard" you will clinch every muscle in your body. That causes us to ride too rigidly, wear out faster, and be more prone to crashing. On a positive note, it makes for some great facial expression race pics.:fie: Who was it that coined the phrase "slow down to go faster"? Whoever that was, I agree. If we would learn to ride within ourselves, more of us would make it to the finish line. I need to remember this sometimes myself.