Quantcast

Sore knuckles

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
I don't often post outside the Diablo Park forum, but this is more a general topic.

Last few times I have ridden DH, I have had to call it a day because my knuckles and index/middle (braking) fingers are in burning pain going through rough terrain. I have read a couple things here and there saying to avoid a death clench on the bars, but going through some of this terrain it seems like a loose grip is just asking for the bars to get tweaked from my hands.

What are some good techniques or things I should be doing to keep my fingers from getting so sore?

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
I have found that your lever reach and lever position make a BIG difference on how quickly your hands/fingers fatigue. Maybe try some different lever setups and see what happens. If you havnt already.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Also running the engagement point too far out will kill your hands quick. I kinda like it so the brake lever is parallel with the bar as it engages. I also run them inboard and one finger them so I can keep my middle finger on the bar while still maintaining leverage.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
What are some good techniques or things I should be doing to keep my fingers from getting so sore?
I start out with 600mg of Aleve when I wake up. Then I go to breakfast. I come back, get suited up and grab 400mg of Advil. 'Round lunchtime I pop 600mg of Aleve and eat. Then I go ride. When the day is done, I take a shower, ice my hands, eat dinner, swallow 400mg of Tylenol for the night. Then I drink until I don't remember which way is up.

9 days of that in a row can catch up with you though, so I don't recommend it.

*Disclaimer: I don't acutally endorse doing what I posted. In actuality, I prolly only take about 400mg of an anti-inflammatory right before I go to bed to minimize my discomfort whilst I sleep. Otherwise, I gut it out like a real man.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i kinda have the same problem with my left hand. my ring finger hurts reall bad after a few rides. i come to find out my bars were sitting up alittle to forward. so i slacked them back abit and it seems to be better. but like other people said, just try and do some adjustments weather its with the bars or both bars and brakes.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Bleed your brakes.

Put new pads in.

Run your levers very close to the bar.

Make sure your brakes are decent in the first place, if not, get Juicy 7s or Codes.

If you do all that and still get sore, get Goodridge lines.

If you still get sore ride moto.

If you still get sore see a sports doctor who deals with moto.

DHOatmeal

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
What angle do you guys suggest? Pass 45 degree? Today I had really bad finger cramps. I have moved my lever contact point closest to the bar and poved my levers closer to the stem.

I also suspect front fork suspension settings but I am not sure how to solve this. Anyone offer their opinion?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
pressurize your hydraulic system for less throw and move your levers for one or two finger operation. if you ride alot of steeps then less of an angle more flat so you can get low and back. if you ride alot of flat then make the angle steeper so you can get forward more and keep your elbows out.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've been doing strengthening exercises with my fingers/forearms and that's helped a lot. Squeeze a tennis ball with one hand, do it about 100 times with each hand a couple times a week. Just do it while watching TV or something mundane.

DHOatmeal asked me essentially the same question via email, so I'll post my reply to him, thereby getting some extra milage out of all that typing!

Most people could stand to loosen their grip, but sore hands are a fact of life with downhill. Mine got so bad at Silver Star in late July that my left thumb is still sore. You could probably hold your bar so loose that you're barely touching it 80% of the time, but then you'd be bleeding after those 20% moments.

I usually have good luck with fat grips (ex. Oury) and keeping my brake levers as close to the bar as possible. It's essential to set up your brakes for one finger braking: move them WAY inboard, so that the hook of the blade is slightly inboard of your index finger. Set the reach as close as possible, such that they engage very close to the bar. This leaves your hand in the strongest and most stable position while braking.

Just think of how much more comfort and control you'd have if you didn't have to brake and you could just grip the bar with all your fingers; the goal is to replicate that position.

DHOatmeal

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
Ahh.. RMR!

I have changed my lever engage point to as close to teh bar possible. I also moved my levers in (toward the center). I have changed my angle to 45 degree and on my next run I will try the settings.

Last time after 3-4 days my finger were still sore. I didn't realized all these things could be a factor. thx again.

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
Check your settings on your fork, make sure that you are running the right spring rate as well as have a good "personal" setting for compression and rebound, allow the fork to do the work as much as possible.