Quantcast

Sorry, another DHers Trail bike thread.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I am about to go and spend £1450 on a full build Cannondale Prophet. One like this.
I currently own an 08 Trek Fuel EX 9.0 which hasn't seen much use, so I will transfer most of the parts from my trek to the cannondale and then sell the remainder. The only things I will be keeping are the frame and forks (I also have a new wheel set being built so both wheen sets will be sold.)
If my estimations are correct then I will probably not end up that much down on money at the end of everything, probably £200 max but I will have a trail bike with a 13" BB and a 67.5 degree HT.

What I want to know is, am I missing anything? Is there another bike out there that I should be getting instead? I don't really want to go to a 6" frame or a set of 36s or Lyrics, 5.5" and a set of Pikes is ideal.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've got one now. It's a fun bike to ride. I guarantee you that you will notice some serious flex from the swing arm though. For a little lighter fork, throw a 140mm revelation with the 20mm thru axle on it.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
****, I ment to write that I rode one at the Mega this year and it did flex a load, still it was not a huge problem and I liked it. I was just wondering if there are any other bikes out there that can be compaired favorably to this one, on both price and geometry.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
im riding a sinister gruitr, very similar geo to the cannondale you are looking at but a bit stiffer (still only 7lbs w/ air shock) and adjustable travel, i run mine with a pike and it rips on aggressive, technical trails. mine is set up with the shorter shock option so i can get 4.5-5.5" travel. the numbers on their website are with a 120mm fork so it will be slacker with the 140 pike and the bb height is actually lower than stated mines less than 13.5 with 2.5" tires, and about 13 in the lower travel setting
http://www.sinisterbikes.com/gruitr.php

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
****, I ment to write that I rode one at the Mega this year and it did flex a load, still it was not a huge problem and I liked it. I was just wondering if there are any other bikes out there that can be compaired favorably to this one, on both price and geometry.
Ah, gotcha. I currently have my eye on an intense tracer.

67.5* HA and 13.5" bb with a 140mm fork.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Sinister makes some seriously badass bikes. I don't know much about the Gruitr personally, other than the fact that people that ride 'em seem to like 'em. Personally, I would love to track down a Sinister Splinter ER as a trail bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Banshee will realese a dh'ers trailbike for the 2010 look around the blog for spitfire - not too much travel and nice angles in the slacker setting.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
In the end though, that prophet will probably be just as good as any of the other bikes mentioned if you don't mind the noodly-ness.