Quantcast

Sorry guys..... Gotta do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Going to plug some sponsors. Got some newer goodies, gonna brag and talk about them

First off, Got my EVS WB01 Wrist braces in, rode with them yesterday.... Great feel, they didnt induce any arm pump, gave me a damn near full range of motion stopped my wrists where needed, let them move where needed. Extremly comfy product to wear, with an adjustable amount of support. I already left a reveiw of the chest protector, Ballistic Jersey ultra X<See broken wrist thread>

Only problem I had with the braces was My big ass wrists, Had to add a little velcro on the big strap so it will fit around my wrist.

http://www.evs-sports.com/store/?category_id=8&item_id=51

Gotta show some love on the bike for the guys at EVS

Next up, Kind of an oddball Sponsor. Christopher bean coffee company.

Good stuff, Lots of variety in flavors, smooth and bold, total organic line up as well. Good stuff.

If your a coffee lover, check them out, they are out of Florida, and sell a great Product.

http://www.christopherbean.com/

And of coarse some CBC love on the bike as well

And the newest one I have, SteelMX Optics. Now I am not a fan of wearing goggles, but as my speed has increased, I am finding more of a need for goggles to keep crap out of my eyes. Just got my new Tempered Wet black goggles in the mail today, so no ride with them yet, but I can say there is a noticable difference in comfort from other goggles I have worn< Oakley Oframe, Spy Targa's couple others>Feels good in the helmet, fits well, good foam feel around the eyes. Did I Mention they look great too? Somehting about them I really like.... The strap is longer than any other goggles I have worn, not by alot, but it is def longer, So it would seem, at least to me, that it will fit a wider range of Helmets.

So, here is the love for Steel MX Optics

http://www.steelmx.com/moto/tempered.html

Of coarse there is the love for E13..... Cant think of anyreason one would not want to use ther products.

http://www.e13components.com/

Division26 and Nema International.......What can I say, both great companies, cant think of any other people that go out of there way for riders as they do at teh races.

http://www.division26clothing.com/

http://www.nemabrand.com/

<sorry guys, I dont have any pics at hand for ya, but rest assure, the love is there.>

Ok, I think I am done Plugging for now, I will drop a full reveiw on the Goggles after a couple rides. I will Talk about fit, feel, function, and fogging....ALong with anything else I feel might be nice to drop in about. I will also try to be as Unbiased as possible

Last edited:

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Going to plug some sponsors. Got some newer goodies, gonna brag and talk abotu them

First off, Got my EVS WB01 Wrist braces in, rode with them yesterday.... Great feel, they didnt induce any arm pump, gave me a damn near full range of motion stopped my wrists were needed, let them move were needed. Extremly comfy product to wear, With an adjustable amount of support. I already left a reveiw of the chest protector, Ballistic Jersey ultra X<See broken wrist thread>
i bet your sponswhores would like it a lot better if you knew how to spell. :disgust1:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
IMHO, I didn't dig the Steel MX goggles. Had them last year and I felt that they didn't put up as well as my SPY goggles in the mud and humidity that is the east in the summer and fall.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
We all appreciate the support as well! Shameless plug...new LG1+ started shipping out friday...it would be a super easy way to shed some extra weight (both sizes of the new LG1+ are sub-200g).

MoAr pics! :busted:

The white version (shown above) should be in stock at distributors by the end of the week or so...currently in transit.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Not to be a dick, but other than stickers and a few bucks off on a chainguide what's the point? I could understand if you had been given equipment and race funds it terms of support but other than that you're just cheap advertising.

Fire away...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
We all appreciate the support as well! Shameless plug...new LG1+ started shipping out friday...it would be a super easy way to shed some extra weight (both sizes of the new LG1+ are sub-200g).

MoAr pics! :busted:

The white version (shown above) should be in stock at distributors by the end of the week or so...currently in transit.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen
Nice guide, waiting on a wide version for a jedi! :D
Keep us posted Id like to get one.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
DirtyMike = bullcrew in training?

talk about a pointless thread...

and correct me if I'm wrong, but what is even the point of calling a coffee product company a 'sponsor'? do you have any sort of relationship with them besides putting their sticker on your bike and buying their product? (this could apply to any of the 3 companies you've mentioned)
all seems a little too pinkbike-ish to me.

nothing wrong with liking a product and supporting the company, but this might be a step too far IMO...

where is the brown-nose smiley?!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Not to be a dick, but other than stickers and a few bucks off on a chainguide what's the point? I could understand if you had been given equipment and race funds it terms of support but other than that you're just cheap advertising.

Fire away...
OK, I will. What's wrong with getting "a few bucks off" something? For most of us amateur/privateers, that is what most sponsorships are: a 'grassroots' / 'bro' / 'pro-price' deal on the goods we want and need. "A few bucks off" my frame, many of the components, my protective gear is how I'm even able to afford to be competitive in this very expensive sport. I'm always grateful for any form that support takes; it all helps.

Every now and then, if a sponsor has had us on for a few seasons and we return exceptional value to them in the form of unbridled boosterism, solid feedback, particularly good results, above-and-beyond ambassadorship or a combination of any of those traits, maybe they reward us with some actual gratis product.

So what's wrong with DM displaying some logos and propping some sponsors? What really IS "cheap advertising" is the groms and wannabees who plaster stickers all over their bikes/cars/etc. who aren't getting anything. They are advertising a brand for nothing and devaluing the branding that the rest of us put some work into cultivating those relationships to display.

Last edited:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I see nothing "wrong" with your preference to spend your time scrounging for industry crumbs in hopes of something, you know, for the trouble. I guess I have a hard time discerning between the type of sponsorship you are defending and the "wannabe" type of sponsorship as you put it. I feel that if a rider/racer were to spend more of time focusing on results and less time on hype then with dedication you might be able to get in a position to have real sponsorship.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I dunno....my grassroots sponsorships in 2007 helped lower the cost of my DH bike build by almost half. Would have paid closer to 5k for my build if I paid retail. On top of that, I trust the companies who helped me out. I call that not only a good deal but a good relationship to build off of.

Here's an example: our team (Elevate Cycles) was sponsored by SRAM in 2007. I just got my Boxxer warrantied due in part to that past relationship even though it's 2 years after the purchase. That grassroots sponsorship payed off in dividends.

Last edited:

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
isnt the whole sponsorhouse thing just a big marketing technique.. they "say" they give you 15 p/c off and of course you want to buy it then becuase your "sponsored".. i think it ensures them sales and they get free advertising from people going around saying how great the products are

thats just my understanding

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
isnt the whole sponsorhouse thing just a big marketing technique.. they "say" they give you 15 p/c off and of course you want to buy it then becuase your "sponsored".. i think it ensures them sales and they get free advertising from people going around saying how great the products are

thats just my understanding
That hasn't been my experience, personally; but I'm sure that it is that way for some people. Sponsorhouse is a good way to begin relationships with companies, but it shouldn't become the "be all, end all" way to go about it.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
its just somebody i know got "sponsored" by steel mx and nema and sent them the money and ditched his crowbars and jeans to wear his "sponsors" stuff

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I see nothing "wrong" with your preference to spend your time scrounging for industry crumbs in hopes of something, you know, for the trouble. I guess I have a hard time discerning between the type of sponsorship you are defending and the "wannabe" type of sponsorship as you put it. I feel that if a rider/racer were to spend more of time focusing on results and less time on hype then with dedication you might be able to get in a position to have real sponsorship.
Haha - - "scrounging for industry crumbs." Well, since there are only a small handful of us who have the potential to be atop a World Cup podium, then I guess you could tar a whole bunch of us with that brush.

And that you choose to characterize it that way discounts the care that often goes into pursuing sponsorships by us rank hack amateurs. As if we all go out grubbing around for any scrap anybody will throw our way.

I'm sure there are many of us who take a much more targeted approach in how we seek out support. We identify a particular product that we want or need; we look at the companies who supply that. Do we like the company? Their version of the product? Is it a brand we've bought before and loved? Is it a brand we've only admired from afar but said to ourselves "I could never afford that"? Do they have a sponsorship program? Then we go out in active pursuit of that sponsorship to fulfill that need.

Hey, I've had my share of modest successes but am realistic enough to know that there are hundreds of other racers out there as and more talented than I am; so being "dedicated to results" alone are not going to do it for me. BUT, I am a pretty fair communicator and can string together a few sentences coherently. And most product marketers will tell you that while they value results too, they just as much would like to have articulate, enthusiastic ambassadors for their product who will represent them at the races or out on the trail with a degree of professionalism.

I don't feel that the time and care I've put into cultivating my sponsor relationships have been wasted at all. They've allowed me to compete at a level (well, for my age) that I might never have gotten the opportunity to without them.

Last edited:

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Nice guide, waiting on a wide version for a jedi! :D
Keep us posted Id like to get one.
there is no 'wide' version of the guide anyway, it's adjustable on the standard guide

atleast this is what i've read/heard, if you look at the markings on the picture N (narrow?) R(regular) W(wide)?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Haha, Jim that was some beautifal random comedy.

Im sure that in the US, the discounts available on SH might make the slightest difference, but if your from the UK, and actually buy anything, well, your paying more than RRP after shipping.... oh dear.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
BUT, I am a pretty fair communicator and can string together a few sentences coherently.
that is all I was asking for. If you are going to call yourself sponsored by somebody at least be able to represent them well with some proper grammar and well thought out sentences. Pressing the spell check button seems like something that would be easy enough to do for your sponsors. :shocked:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
there is no 'wide' version of the guide anyway, it's adjustable on the standard guide

atleast this is what i've read/heard, if you look at the markings on the picture N (narrow?) R(regular) W(wide)?

Talked to Phil last week and they were trying to get a wide guide not a adjustable ring guide done. The boomerang needs to be more open to accomodate the chainline from the upper pulley wheel. I have last years and they said they try and get a new one done for these kinds of bikes!
Id love to have one already!!!! :D

I see what you mean Ill call em right now for some reason I dont think thats for the set ups like mine, maybe it is and that would be great! Thanks for the heads up, Ill call.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

Fire away...

No worries bro, opinions are welcome.

Check it, I support E13 for two reasons, I get more than a few bucks off, and the customer service is friggin awesome. Last year they were having some"Billing" issues, I needed parts for a race, Phil overnighted the parts to me and took care of teh billing at a much later date without question, sent me parts to my old DRS no cahrge..... Great CS on the tech side. More than cheap advertising, its a good company that goes out of there way to take care of ther customers.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
and correct me if I'm wrong, but what is even the point of calling a coffee product company a 'sponsor'? do you have any sort of relationship with them besides putting their sticker on your bike and buying their product? (this could apply to any of the 3 companies you've mentioned)
?!
Free coffee!!!! Alot of it

And damn its good stuff

Oh yeah, your math sucks, I listed six companies, not three. The support i have gottenand the support I see them give other riders is why people start threads like this.

For who that said something about industry crumbs......I work at a shop, I get ten% over cost already, If I wasnt getting a great deal from sponsors, why would I order from them instead of ordering through my own shop to begin with.

Just food for thought. If you want to get good sponsorships, get in good with companies, and get the hook up of freebies, and Major support, you have to show the companies your worth it with the entry line support levels they offer, and work your way up. Its just the way it works. Sorry if having a sponsor or two offends those who are independantly wealthy, and never need any kind of a break whatsoever. SOme people like advancing in the industry as there skills improve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.