Sorry, NO CHEESE w/this whine :mumble:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
(gets up on soap box)

Okay, I love SRAM but I gotta vent a little frustrations here for one of their more STUPID policies.

I bought those cartridge type vBrakes from Avid/Sram call Rim Wrangers® figuring it was a great idea. After using Shimano brakes for years and them getting metal shine all over them after half life use, someone at Kool Stop offered me a FREE pair of the salmon and black dual compounds to put on my front rim. He said, "Try them out, I guarantee you'll like them. If not, you got a free set of pads. If you DO, tell all your friends. So I put them on and I was like WOW what a difference! I like them so much I have bought them for about 6 years. And I turned my buddys onto them too. For two free pads, they got my business for years. So last season, I called Sram and I let a rep at Sram on the phone talk me into switching to the Rim Wrangler cartridge system for the ease of switching out cartridges. And he was like, "the same salmon pads are available for our cartridge system!" So I bought them. Price paid, $24 at Price point. So the other day I'm out riding. A pin falls out. ON MY FRONT BRAKE! Thank god it was not going downhill. It fell out while pedaling uphill during slipping on a steep wet muddy part. I pull the front brake to stop going backward and nothing happens.

I diagnose the pin fell out. Fortunately I had a pair of three week old Kool Stops in my bag that the Rim Wranglers replaced last season so I fixed the problem on the trail and got home. I carry a small shop with me in my pack, stuff like inner tubes, tire tools, chain links etc in case I run into someone broke down on the trail and they need parts to help them get out of the woods. A guy helped me one time five miles in with a chain break tool so I know the importance. Now I have tools etc to help anyone I see broke down. It's only being nice to other bikers and helpful.

So I go to the LBS and they don't have pins. So I called Sram. The Sram rep on the phone tells me, "We don't carry any." I'm like, "You are AVID and you DON'T have any pins? HUH?" He said, "They only come with the new pads. Unfortunately the only remedy to that is you'll have to buy another set of pads as we don't have any to fix the problem. They come from Taiwan." A better response would have been, "Sure I'll send you one in an envelope," or "I'll send you out one set of pads to fix the problem," like Kool Stop did once to talk me out of the black shimanos that wouldn't stop me from hitting a tree twice or running off into the woods a couple times around a turn. That one set of pads made me switch from Shimano six years ago. But with hardly any wear I gotta go buy a brand new set of pads just for a pin? Is that a good policy? Well, if you're Sram thinking from a profit point of view. But buy new pads? As in NINE BUCKS for the pads, plus five bucks ship just to get one pin that's probably worth 1 cent!? Talk about letting me down after switching to their system. Sram has no pins!? He'll I'd pay a buck for the shipping and envelope. But almost fifteen bucks!? To get a new pin!? Is that a STUPID policy milking the customer? It just don't seem fair to me after switching from the Kool Stops which REALLY had nothing wrong with them. The Salmon Black dual compounds were GREAT.

As to Sram though, I really loved the idea of just switching out a pad every time without having a bunch of brake aligning stuff every time. Great idea right!? I mean Sram has a LOT of great products!! But no pins? Not very smart.

Sram isn't standing by the customer in my opinion to not offer replacement pins online. I'd gladly send them a .39 cent self addressed stamped envelope with fifty cent's for a new pin, but $14? NO WAY. I'm going to the local hardware to see if I can fix it temporarily so I can get the use out of the pads that have 3/4 still left on them. Once their gone I'm going back to the Kool stops that had more surface area on the rim.

I've got my Kool Stops back on again now and love the braking power. It's stuff like this that ticks me off a little as it's only common sense. I guess Avid/Sram isn't interested in repeat buying. After hearing their resolution for the missing pin, I'm going back to the Kool Stop Salmon and Black dual compounds. They're great in wet or dry. And they're the exact same price as the Rim Wrangler cartridges so what's the point.., ease? Not over safety. I got Wrangled alright. :mumble:

Thats like buying a convertible and having the top leak and the dealer say, "Sorry, we don't have replacement tops. But you can buy a new car and it comes with another top with it!"

Fortunately this was UPhill so that third tree is out there, waiting...

Anyone know where I can get the pin to fix the problem so I don't have to throw away the ring wranglers that ran me $24 or to avoid paying $15 for a new set of pads just to get the pin? :help:

Sorry there's no cheese to go along with that whine.
(gets down off soap box.)

J

JRB

Never had a pin fall out, but the force of the wheel would keep it on if installed correctly. I likely can find a pin. For $5 I'll mail you one. That's cheaper right???

OK - I am kidding about $5. PM me your address and I'll get one out to you. If I can't find one, I'll let you know tonight. I agree that Sram sucks, but installed correctly, the pin can't fall out. Anyway - I'll mail you one if you quit whining. :D

*edit - you must give me approval. I don't mind whoring myself or parts out for that. :thumb:

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
stoney98 said:
on an unrelated note, it sounds like you were using ceramic pads on a non-ceramic rim. That will make stopping hard.
Also, if the pin falls out, it's mechanics error.
Sorry, but I would not have sent oyu on either, especially if you were huffing and getting whiney (which I've got a 20-spot on you were)
-ms
No actually non ceramic all around. I had their salmon pads the real soft ones good when wet.

And LET ME HOLD THAT TWENNY DOLLA BEEL!

Being real serious here I wasn't huffy or whiney with the guy at all. I've called Sram before. They're very nice and make great products. I just called and asked him to send me a pin. When he told me they didn't have any. I didn't whine, I just asked him, "What do people do if they lose a pin? He said, "I'm sorry to say but you have to buy a new set." I told him I wasn't spending the money on a full set to just get a pin. That's just a throw away of money. That's just asinine. Not as in, I'd rate her face a ten and her asinine.

No huffyness here, just I was just pretty let down when I heard they had absolutely no cheap alternative to simply buying a whole new set of pads for one pin. Suppose it gets lost or falls out? Just keep blowing $14 bucks each time? That doesn't sound reasonable. I'm going to try rigging it up with a paper clip or something. That may work.

J

JRB

Send me your address, dummy. I told you I likely have one. :p

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
loco said:
I agree that Sram sucks, but installed correctly, the pin can't fall out. :thumb:
NO NO I didn't say Sram sucks. Not at all. I have their cassette, chain, avid brakes, avid pads, avid cartridge holders, they make good products, it's the lack of a fix for the pin problem I was pointing out as a stupid policy for an otherwise great company! Sram is superior stuff in my opinion for a lot of things. I personally like Sram over Shimano.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
The Toninator said:
i've been running the rim wranger II's for years never had a pin fall out. that would scare me.
The pads are designed to be pulled out easy by removing the pin. Obviously you burn your front faster than the rear. So like rotating ones tires, I rotated my pads to get good wear. I also used some sand paper to remove crud and sheen after a few months. The pin went back in all the way. I used a needle nose plyers to put it in. Trust me, it went in all the way. I think it fell out due to excessive rocky up down motion just prior to where it fell out. Too much vibration on the pin in the hole. Probably from me pulling it out and putting it back once before. So it's probably my fault it came out. Just Avid/Srams fault for not having a replacement part for the consumer. THAT's what I was addressing. Not Sram Quality or as a company. A lot of companys have stupid policies. TACO BELL offers a new idea like the gordita crunch for like six weeks and then when you like it and start going more to get it they pull it from the menu till next year. What's wit DAT?

Anyone had the new Ultimate Chalupa? AWESOME! But they'll pull it rather than make it a part of their main menu before summer is out.

J

JRB

I don't think Sram is better than Shimano. That's not my point though. My point is, I likely have a pin. It may be for XTR pads, but it will work.

J

JRB

I hate when they run something on the menu and then stop it. If it's a good idea, keep it. If you don't plan to keep it, don't introduce it. :mad:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Chunky Munkey said:
The pads are designed to be pulled out easy by removing the pin. Obviously you burn your front faster than the rear. So like rotating ones tires, I rotated my pads to get good wear. I also used some sand paper to remove crud and sheen after a few months. The pin went back in all the way. I used a needle nose plyers to put it in. Trust me, it went in all the way. I think it fell out due to excessive rocky up down motion just prior to where it fell out. Too much vibration on the pin in the hole. Probably from me pulling it out and putting it back once before. So it's probably my fault it came out. Just Avid/Srams fault for not having a replacement part for the consumer. THAT's what I was addressing. Not Sram Quality or as a company. A lot of companys have stupid policies. TACO BELL offers a new idea like the gordita crunch for like six weeks and then when you like it and start going more to get it they pull it from the menu till next year. What's wit DAT?

Anyone had the new Ultimate Chalupa? AWESOME! But they'll pull it rather than make it a part of their main menu before summer is out.
AHHHH now i understand the whole story and it makes sense. I also agree that the little pins should be available. Because for whatever reasons I’ve been looking for a spare and could never find it.

Now I have had the WHOLE BRAKE pad thingy come off during a race. That was scary. I did 15 miles with only a front brake. that was my fault also.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've got a pair of Avid cart pads that I wore out and replaced with non cartridges...You can have a pin if Loco's is no bueno. PM me the addy.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Go to the hardware store. It is just a cotter pin, it will cost you $.03.

You have to realize that those pads most likely come from the orient completely packaged. They do not have a huge bucket of pads and another bucket of pins at sram tht are put together and packaged here in the usa. Unless the item is very custom, it is almost always easier and cheaper to get replacement parts (usually better quality)somewhere other than the end vendor. (any bolt on your bike from a bolt suplier, bearings from a bearing suplier etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.