Quantcast

sort of hooked

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
(and a new post while we're at it)

I've been doing more and more street riding of late. WAY more than trail riding as it's just more convenient and the days grow shorter every week. Besides that, I find myself hooked on the feeling of progression that I'm experiencing.

I've decided that I really want to throw myself into street and focus on developing my core trials skills.

I can side hop fairly high and accurately, I can manual fairly well, pedal kick forward and rear wheel hop backward just ok, etc. I spend hours playing on the huge boulders down by the lake, so I'm getting the hang of it all by trial and error. I've spent endless hours working myself up to pedal kick off of larger obstacles. Not wheelie drop, but proper pedal kicks. I've fallen more times than not, but it's coming along.

A week ago I got a chance to ride a proper trials HT, a Planet X Zebdi. What an amazing difference the setup makes. It had the Hope Trial disc brakes f/r and those worked very well. Also had a very short 70mm Bomber, providing a 74d (?) HA. It felt way awkward at first but I quickly appreciated it. It makes me want to rebuild my hardtail into a more street/trials capable bike, but I'm not sure what frame would be a better pick, if not just a smaller Chameleon (which I currently ride). For now I'm leaving everything alone and will just keep practicing and riding.

To the mountain bike trials people ... how is your bike set up? Post up a pic, spell it out. Let's breathe some life into this forum!

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Oh alright,.. if you insist Nick.

Well, I've got a bike that is caught in the middle of the old school setups and the new skool setups.

There is a lot of geometry involved in a tight handleling trials rig. Most of it is personal preferance, but a lot of us look to what is proven. By proven I mean who is currently top dog at UCI world cup Trials. It isn't all about the bike, granted, those guys are world class because they train like it. But the bike certainly helps.

Some figures to look at:

- Wheelbase measurement.
- Chainstay measurement.
- Bottom Bracket Height from axle height (e.g. +/- 0mm at the axle)
- Front center measurement. (e.g. where your handlebars are in relation to the Bottom Bracket)
- Fork height axle to crown.
- Headtube Angle.

Every one of these contributes to a properly handleling rig.

What you consider proper is up to you.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Nick,
There is a Planet X-Zebdi on Ebay right now for sale. Its a pretty good beginner bike to learn on. Also fun with Skate parks and such.

To dab into trials is cool. You can do some basic trials moves with just about any bike. If you find that you like more core trials type of riding, then look into a trials specific bike. Otherwise, look at more of an urban-bike that can keep the trials moves to a general cause, but allow you to mix it up more.

I started with a Planet X, and then went to Koxx (Level Boss 1062). The Koxx fit me much better and allowed me to take my riding to the next level.

Everyone will say that a Chris King Hub will be the best thing you buy for your bike... they are right. The engagement is the key, and really helps you develop the pedal kicking skills you need.

Find some local trials riders. hang out with them. They're quick to show you and teach you to do things. I live in an area that has some fantastic riders, all have taught me.

I first started getting up on my rear tire with my Specialized FSR. I think I tore up the frame, but I got the idea.

Good luck.