Quantcast

Sorta NBD! Yeti SB5+

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
So, the tl;dr first: It's a Yeti SB5+ size large, Turq edition with SRAM Eagle x01. Sorry for the crappy pics, it's 12:30AM and I should probably be asleep! :D

The long(er) story. In a previous life, I wrenched for a living. All through the 90's, I wrenched and raced bicycles (I still have my GT Avalanche hardtail full of Paul's components and Ringle' stuff!) and rode a lot of BMX (mostly vert, street and skatepark) . I built many a Yeti for doctors and lawyers who could afford them and always wanted one myself, specifically I wanted an ACR (this was 1995 after all).

FFWD a bit and life and careers happen, I move away from all my racing buddies, move to where the riding sucks, pick up other hobbies and just plain don't have time any more, Tragic, I know, but shit happens.

After almost 15 years of not riding, I finally get out of Texas (hurrah!) and end up in Omaha, NE (hurrah?) where there's a lot of trails and a lot of nice rolling hills that suit my old ass just fine!

So I tell the little lady "I'ma buy me a Yeti!". I have a buddy who works at the Singletrack Factory in Denver (Harley, look him up, he's a good dude) and I start talking about Yeti's. I almost buy an SB5 but I really like the idea of a plus bike for me; I am a big man after all. I'm not racing, I just want fun and capable, so I sit and wait.

Then bam! Right after SRAM announces the new group, Yeti announces the SB5+. Harley literally texts me that morning "Soooo.. did you see it?". Needless to say, I ordered it that day.

Well many months have passed since then. I got the scoot two weeks ago and have only been able to put about 40 trails miles on it thanks to Old Man Winter showing up and the trails being slop. I've ridden it quite a bit around the house and on some of the jogging trails that didn't get drenched just because I want to ride! With the weather coming I may not get much more riding this fall, though I will try.

Either way, I'm super stoked. I never thought I'd see one of these in my house all the time. Every time I see it I get giddy and look for a reason to ride it (get the mail, go to the store, get some food, whatever).

Yeah my bike is slow, but so am I. So I'm okay with that. :D
s3FVhR4.jpg
luy2JDj.jpg

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Pretty! I got the SB5 this past year and it is hands down the best bike I've ridden. If the plus version is in anyway similar you'll be a happy man.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ha, another Twin-Wanker clansman! These frames look good (if a bit too complicated), shame about the BB (and the boost only from 2016 on).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Broken-bike? Why all the hate. :(
Hate? It's not hate. But you're gonna break that bike, Big Guy.

Nebraska: cuz they doubled my salary tbh. It's not bad, I like Omaha a lot so far, a lot more than Texas at least.
At least you're remaining optimistic - you're the first person I've EVER run into that has uttered the words "It's not bad, I like Omaha a lot" - and I know a bunch of people FROM Omaha. :D

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be

At least you're remaining optimistic - you're the first person I've EVER run into that has uttered the words "It's not bad, I like Omaha a lot" - and I know a bunch of people FROM Omaha. :D
I talked to Yeti a bunch ahead of time, warranty is good to 300lbs! I'm not 300lbs. :)

I think it depends where you live in Omaha. I'm out with all the fancy people in fancy houses. Then again, coming up here from south Texas, improvement was a pretty low bar.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

To be fair, someone his size riding aggressively will probably break damn near anything, it's just a question of how long and under what circumstances.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I talked to Yeti a bunch ahead of time, warranty is good to 300lbs! I'm not 300lbs. :)
I don't doubt that Yeti will take care of you WHEN you break it. ;) They are a stand-up bunch of guys/gals there.

I think it depends where you live in Omaha. I'm out with all the fancy people in fancy houses. Then again, coming up here from south Texas, improvement was a pretty low bar.
Just out of curiosity - have you ever lived anywhere that didn't suck? :D

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
I don't doubt that Yeti will take care of you WHEN you break it. ;) They are a stand-up bunch of guys/gals there.
Seems like it, I just hope I make a whole season before I break something. :)

Just out of curiosity - have you ever lived anywhere that didn't suck? :D
Well, I'm from New Orleans, ended up in the Austin area for work for 17yrs and moved to Omaha in May. Soo.. no? I guess? :panic:

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
Austin doesn't suck. And I have to think either is a world better than NOLA.

(cue "new orleans is a dying whore" video ....)
Actually hated Texas in general more than any place else I've ever lived. NOLA isn't in a great place either right now, but I'd probably rather be there than anywhere in Texas again. I don't know, that's like choosing between diarrhea and constipation.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
Yeah - I'd recommend trying it out. Esp if you like mt biking.
I'm stuck here for a while, I actually like the city and there's probably ~10 trailheads within 20 minutes of my house. Yeah it's not Colorado, but it's also not Colorado expensive. The trails are pretty good, I've had a good time on them so far. :)

Having a 10 mile loop 5 minutes from my house has been nice.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
Living in a 800 sq foot townhome in CO >> giant fucking house in Omaha.

Just remember when you're 60 that I told you to GTFO. :D
I've had numerous job offers in CO, actually I could have taken this job in CO (we have an office in Denver and family in Golden).

Just not that crazy about living there. *shrug* :)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I got an SB6c on a whim this summer, I like it. I call it the Giggle Pig. Its green. Of my current bikes it ranks in the top 3 depending on how much pedaling is required. I keep it in my 5 car garage next to my BMWs.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Don't listen to SS, he's like that one cloud on an otherwise bluebird day. Your bike is sweet and you should beat it like it owes you money.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
Don't listen to SS, he's like that one cloud on an otherwise bluebird day. Your bike is sweet and you should beat it like it owes you money.
Haha, thanks. I'm trying, weather needs to cooperate. Single digits today (negative with wind chill). It's gonna be in the 30's for a few hours Saturday, if the rain holds out I'll be on the trails!