Quantcast

Sorta NBD! Yeti SB5+

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
I'm not really worried about it. Threaded on carbon is really just... I dunno, a threaded BB in a press-fit sleeve? Sorta, lol. Okay not really.

On a metal BB, threaded all day. On carbon, I'm okay with press fit. Don't yell at me.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Errr... well... I've been tempted to go BACK to tubes because modern tires run tubeless apparently SUCK. But these Michelins I'm currently on... I may stick with tubeless awhile longer.

And fuck clipless pedals. :D
I feel less bad for your children now. :)

For the record I have gone back to tubes on 2 bikes because I'm lazy and for some reason will not buy a compressor.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hate? It's not hate. But you're gonna break that bike, Big Guy.
Yes. It's just a matter of time.

To be fair, someone his size riding aggressively will probably break damn near anything, it's just a question of how long and under what circumstances.
Again.

I don't doubt that Yeti will take care of you WHEN you break it. ;) They are a stand-up bunch of guys/gals there.
Yes. They've taken care of me a few times.

@stoney is also cheap on 26" hoops to this day.
Cost effective. I'll get another 2-3 seasons probably. But I might have acquired a new roadie and car by then.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
Oh nos, 2 of my 3 favorite crabon bikes have press fit BBs, I'm checking the BMWs now.
I'm not too worried about the press fit BB. I think, like most things, people make a bigger deal out of it than it is. Most carbon bikes have press fit BB's to give a wider BB shell, which is good for a moose like me. If it gets shitty or squeaky I'll change it to a King or maybe one of the threaded sleeves from Wheels or Praxis. Not a big deal really. :)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm not too worried about the press fit BB. I think, like most things, people make a bigger deal out of it than it is. Most cheap-ass-brands' carbon bikes have press fit BB's to save a few bucks during the manufacturing process, which is good for a sheep like me. If it gets shitty or squeaky I'll change it to a King or maybe one of the threaded sleeves from Wheels or Praxis. Not a big deal really. :)
Good luck adjusting your chain line if you need it. Also, FTFY. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haha, wow. So much hatred. Lucky for me, my chain line doesn't need adjusting. :banana:

I am a much happier person than you are apparently. :headbang:
pretty well known that press fit was created largely to save a few pennies per frame by not having to tap the BB shell. any alleged "benefits" are purely coincidental.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
if any of you are having troubles with creaking or loosening BBs, check out that link I posted up there for the praxis works bb solution. it's a nice variation on the PF theme, easy to install, adjustable drive side and good bearings.

heavyd

Monkey
Dec 1, 2016
Not where I wanna be
if any of you are having troubles with creaking or loosening BBs, check out that link I posted up there for the praxis works bb solution. it's a nice variation on the PF theme, easy to install, adjustable drive side and good bearings.
I saw that. Wheels makes one too that's similar if I have any issues I'll jump to something like that. I don't expect that I will though.

Funny thing, the threaded BB in my old steel framed 26er creaks like a motherfucker. :rofl:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Pick a wheel size bottom bracket standard, and be a dick about it. :rolleyes:

Sick bike, glad to see you aren't letting these hacks rain on your parade.:cheers:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Austin doesn't suck. And I have to think either is a world better than NOLA.

(cue "new orleans is a dying whore" video ....)
No, it sucks. It just sucks less than the rest. I go every 3mo for work and spent an additional week riding a few weeks back. I brought my bike because I was there, it's not a place I would ever go to for riding.

One thing I've picked up during my travels is that it's far better to live somewhere that allows for easy backcountry access and outside activities (which requires mountains IME) than some place where you can live cheap like a king. Quality of life, it's inverse of what most people think. It's not about sitting around on a sofa watching football games. It's about doing shit.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So basically, the Praxis hack turns a press-fit BB into a threaded BB wannabe, with the advantage of extra parts that need maintenance, extra weight, and limiting crank options.

Sounds like a truly superior solution. :monkey:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Press fit BBs got a bad rap due to all the POS stock SRAM plastic BBs they put on bikes. My PF Wheels Mfg is the best BB I have out of my three, BB92 (seriously wtf?), standard threaded and PF30 standards. I don't think anyone has to go as far as the praxis, wheels mfg has some great metal ones.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So basically, the Praxis hack turns a press-fit BB into a threaded BB wannabe, with the advantage of extra parts that need maintenance, extra weight, and limiting crank options.

Sounds like a truly superior solution. :monkey:
:rolleyes:
it solves many common problems with PF ... if you don't have any of said problems, this isn't for you.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Press fit BBs got a bad rap due to all the POS stock SRAM plastic BBs they put on bikes. My PF Wheels Mfg is the best BB I have out of my three, BB92 (seriously wtf?), standard threaded and PF30 standards. I don't think anyone has to go as far as the praxis, wheels mfg has some great metal ones.
I have a Wheels Mfg ceramic in my road bike. It's been flawless.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
PFBB's in general are a pain to install b/c of the high precision required. if the shell itself isn't machined right, there's not a whole heck of a lot that can be done.