Quantcast

SOS to all riders: Jonny Dorey - Missing Kiwi rider in Richmond Virginia...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
From DIRTmag:

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/missing-person-jonny-dorey.html

Ok listen up people, this is very serious. A good mountain bike friend of mine from back home has gone missing in America. His name is Jonny Dorey.

Jonny is 5′11″, about 182lbs, and was last seen wearing a WHITE AND BLUE PLAID JACKET, NAVY BLUE BACKPACK, DARK JEANS and BLACK SNEAKERS. It is also likely that he has his black mountain bike with him. He may be wearing glasses and also has a very strong english accent. Jonny’s been missing since March 2nd and the lack of news on his whereabouts is beginning to become unsettling. He is an exchange student at VCU in Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A. He lives in the GRC dorms and his bike is missing. He hasn’t been to classes, his phone’s been off for days, he hasn’t used any of his banks cards nor logged in to e-mail accounts or Facebook.
www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=350577843749&ref=ts

Whilst this is mainly targeted at an American audience, if anyone – anywhere, recognises him or thinks they might know something, please either post something on the FB group page or get in touch with the feds. His parents have flown to the states and his brother has had to cut his NZ trip short to go and be with his family in America.

This is Jonny’s bike. It is a black mountain bike and is not at his house, so he probably has it with him. If you see it locked up anywhere, please let us know. It should also be noted that there is a red strip on the seat.

Jimmy Carling
Please help if you can - if you are around the Richmond area and see this bike OR Jonny Dorey contact police investigators immediately: (804) 828 6409

Last edited:

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
This is a friend of my brothers from university, if anyone has any information, contact them straight away,he is very missed!

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
This is unbeleivable.

Someone on here falls off a bike and breaks an arm and there is a hundred posts saying 'healing vibes dude' and when someonce actually goes missing the post slips down the ranks.

Just last week I was reading BV's post about this place being a community. What a dissapointment.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I would guess that most don't really know what to say- I know I don't.
I hope he's found soon and that he's ok!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Are there local trails.....?......some trails can get pretty remote....anyone search those areas....?......did anyone check to see if his riding gear was gone besides his bike...?.....

Riding accident might fall in-line with the no phone, no credit card....i'm sure someone's thought of this already though....

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Good to see this has worked its way onto the sky news headlines! anything that could be useful, get it to where it needs to go!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
His family must be completely freaking out. It's a horrendous thing to have to deal with especially if your loved one is halfway around the planet. I haven't heard any more info on this but I'll check back over at DIRT to see if there are any new developments.

Thoughts and prayers with his family.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Here's to hoping he's out on a long solo adventure in the woods. Scary that even in the 21st century someone can just disappear; best of wishes to him, his family, and his friends.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is unbeleivable.

Someone on here falls off a bike and breaks an arm and there is a hundred posts saying 'healing vibes dude' and when someonce actually goes missing the post slips down the ranks.

Just last week I was reading BV's post about this place being a community. What a dissapointment.
It's probably more out of the fact that none of us really have anything productive to add, and we're trying to keep the typical jackassery away.

FWIW I saw the original info posted in the Virgina regional forum, and I cross posted it in the lounge.

Hope the guy turns up unharmed.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
It's probably more out of the fact that none of us really have anything productive to add, and we're trying to keep the typical jackassery away.

FWIW I saw the original info posted in the Virgina regional forum, and I cross posted it in the lounge.

Hope the guy turns up unharmed.
A fair point but I'd rather jackassery to it dissapearing.

I found it frustrating at how quickly this was dropping down the forum.

And thanks for the x-post and thanks all.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Do you know if law enforcement has tried to trace his phone to it's last point of triangulation? That usually narrows things down a bit.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Hope the poor guy is found and is safe.

I've red this over 3 times in 3 different days,no idea wat to say.