Quantcast

soul cycle titan?

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
ive got a chance to by a used 06' titan frame..........right now i have a gary fisher advance with beefed up after market stuff on it (marzzoc DJ3 fork, salas gordo rim set, BB7 disk brakes and shimano hone cranks, ect).......with buying the used frame am i gaining anything over my fisher adavance or am i just wasting $$$$$$.....this bike will be used for light down hill, single track and freeride.........

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
or am i just wasting $$$$$$.....this bike will be used for light down hill, single track and freeride.........
If you are paying anything more than $99 for the titan frame you are wasting money. I just got and email from SoulCycles saying that they are selling their raw finish titans for $99. (Damn!)

That said, I've been riding a titan since spring '05 for pretty much every thing you described, DH, trail, urban, freeride. It seems to be a great all around bike. My only complaint is that the rear tire clearance is a little on the low side. Spec'ed at 2.5 but 2.3's are tight. For $99 or less you certainly are not wasting money.

ctavel

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Athens and Decatur
just finished bulding mine, and plan on doing the same riding as you described. My brother has been beating his up for two years now with no complaints.

As for the tire clearence, I'm running 2.5's until my holy rollers come in and everything fits
(sorry for the crappy picture, literally just finished it)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I have a '04 Titan that I've been abusing over the past 2 years, I'm 6'1" and have been up to 220lbs while owning this bike.

I've ridden it DH at Big Bear, Mammoth, Northstar, Downeville, Diablo (NJ) and FR all over southern California. I rode to the top of a local mountain on it (over 4000') and I've taken it dirtjumping (which I SUCK at) and urban. Basically the bike can take some serious abuse!

Other than the tire clearance issue – I have ZERO complaints about it.

I LOVE my Titan... it's my favorite bike.

I've run a 5" Marz Z1, a 7" RS Boxxer, and now have a 6" Manitou Flick on it, the 6" travel feels perfect to me.

freerideATL

Chimp
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta
ha that must be the way to run titans with a 6" flick.
same thing i got on mine.. ive had mine for 2 years
and theres nothing bad to say about it.love it!

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
well i called soul cycle about running a 4" fork on that frame and the guy said he wouldnt recomend it, but he said the lokie (sp?) would be a better choice of fram for what i want to do and they have them bare metal for $99.............what do you guys think about that frame?

ctavel

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Athens and Decatur
Its a 6" V.1 Sport, Hayes 9's, X.9 build, Hussafelt Cranks, and Azonic outlaw wheels.

Took it out for a spin and either a front derailleur or a chain guide is in my future.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
well i called soul cycle about running a 4" fork on that frame and the guy said he wouldnt recomend it, but he said the lokie (sp?) would be a better choice of fram for what i want to do and they have them bare metal for $99.............what do you guys think about that frame?
Had one for a couple months - got rid of it. Maybe it was the fork (4" to 5.5" Nixxon) that I had, which I also got rid of, but it just never felt right to me. I rode it about 5 times on all sorts of different terrain and just prefered my Titan.

It didn't climb very well, even with the fork cranked down to it's lowest setting. It was fun on nice twisty DH(ish) single track, but the pedal out sucked.

Maybe I just didn't ge the right size for me - but I ordered my Titan based on the geometery and it's been great.

I also have the Sluggo, chad suggested the medium when I talked to him and it's worked out great!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Actually was not that bad...

That's my buddy - I can't manual worth sh*t.

The weight wasn't really an issue, but now that you mention it - probably one of he reasons why I loved the Flick so much when I got it.

I actually used to ride everything with that boxxer on there; climbs, FR stunt stuff and of course drops.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Yup - and with the Flick I spaced the stem up about 3/4". My torso is longer so I like to stretch out a bit...

ctavel

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Athens and Decatur
off topic, but it relates the Titans so I'm putting it here.

what chainguides are yall running on yours. The external BB (Howitzer) makes running a front derailleur pointless so I'm looking at the e.13 STS and light guide. My biggest question is if the ISCG tabs on it are the new 05 ISCG specs. Its a 2006 frame so I'd assume they are but am not sure.

any thoughts would be great

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
off topic, but it relates the Titans so I'm putting it here.

what chainguides are yall running on yours. The external BB (Howitzer) makes running a front derailleur pointless so I'm looking at the e.13 STS and light guide. My biggest question is if the ISCG tabs on it are the new 05 ISCG specs. Its a 2006 frame so I'd assume they are but am not sure.

any thoughts would be great
Mine's an '04 and doesn't have the tabs - but I know the new ones have them. Not sure of the year for the spec - but call them and they will help you out.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'm running an E.13 DRS. The '05 frames use the old standard. I doubt they changed to the new standard. Email Chad to be sure.

jayv

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Oregon
Spam...check out the ad in the classifieds...BEST OFFER

Cheaper than the $99 special and this one has custom paint!

PM or email jayvaughan at gmail dot com

ctavel

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Athens and Decatur
Got an email back from the SoulCycle guys and they said that while its not the 05 specs the e.13 guides are backwards compatible since they allow for adjustment. Just letting you know even though you probably already do.