Quantcast

soul cycles titan review: my first erbon ride since may!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, i was promising some people a review on the soul cycles titan. I went on my first urban ride since breaking my arm in may and it happened to be this past saturday. First off the ride was pretty laid back. My arm still hurts pretty bad sometimes but its gettin there.

The Titan is the Soul Cycles urban/dirt jump/mountain cross bike. Mine is set up with a 4 inch travel '04 dirt jumper, 2 inch rise Funn bars, 26 inch wheels front and rear, and a mechanical disc rear break. The bike also has a half cassette with spacers in the rear to drop the chain off and roll back without pedaling. I am using a thumb shifter and a shimano 105 short cage road derailleur.

my first impression riding around was that the bike has a pretty tall front end and is super stiff. The bikes geometry is similar to that of an evil imperial with a steep headtube angle, longish chainstays and a pretty short wheelbase. the bike handles very quickly. The steep head angle makes the bike very quick to respond to any input from the rider.

even with the longish chainstays, the bikes manuals very well and seems to have a very good balance point when the front wheel is up, probably due in part to the tall front end. The front end also made it seem very easy to stick the bike straight into fences and thing of that nature for "splat" type tricks. riding skinnies around town was not problem either due to the quick response of the steering. The bike bunny hops well and i cant wait to get it out to some jumps to see how it flies. The little bit of air time that i logged on the street ride was very stable and easy to whip around as well. any way, thats all for now, as soon as i am able to dirt jump i will post a dirt review.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i think if you were gonna use it in a downhill application the 5 inch would be beneficial, however i think that the bottom bracket does not feel super low but take into consideration i am not running a huge chainring and guide setup either. there is someone on here that runs a dual crown up front and does hardtail class on his titan and loves it. im gonna try to get mine out on some burly trail action soon so we will see. i will post more lately.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i have had my titan for pretty much all summer and i have to say, it rocks.

i have mine set up with a sherman jumper, 26inch wheels and a super short 35 mm stem. it is really fun to ride street on it becasue it manuels really well and it is pretty easy to spin and stuff with the super steep HA. I also race DS and i am going to race 4x on it too. it has to be the most fun bike i have ever owned.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah, ive got a 50 mil. hussefelt stem on mine. that thing brings the wheel up sooooo easy its cool. super stiff.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i'm thinkin about getting one of those, however, they're out of my size for now. they seem awesome, but i'm a bit concerned about it's dirt jump capabilities. is it too long for short techy jumps? does it pop off the lip well? how's the thing handle?

and what color should i get?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i would imagine that it dirt jumps very well, it does everything else spot on with no problem at all. i'll be jumping it some in the next week or so so i will add that to the review as well.

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
biggins said:
i would imagine that it dirt jumps very well, it does everything else spot on with no problem at all. i'll be jumping it some in the next week or so so i will add that to the review as well.

looks like a sweet ride you've got there.

where will you be jumping? swannanoa?

i haven't been out there for 7 months because no one will take me, but i have finally convinced eric (me89) to take me out to the swannanoa jumps next saterday (16th). i can't wait.