Quantcast

South FL vacation/anniversary

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
We had a great time. We got to spend some time with my parents & also got to enjoy some time away from my parents in Key West. (they live in Ft. Lauderdale, so we had a good home base).

for our anniversary my parents rented us a convertible for the drive to the Keys. It rocked the party that rocked the party. we rode all 4 hours with the top down & got quite a sunburn.

KW was the bomb. we ate some of the best seafood we have ever had, drank non-stop, laid by the pool (clothing optional ;) ), explored the island on beach cruisers, went to the Hemingway house & ate & drank some more.

southernmost point in the US.

southernmost house in the US.

Peeping La.

Ernest Hemingway's house.

there are descendants of his pet cats living on the estate. they all have an extra paw/claw thingie & if they dont, they are not from the same bloodline of his actual pet cats. They were mean as piss too.

flora.

after a few days in Key West we headed back to my parents to hang out & continue the trend of eating & drinking too much. We went to bet on some Jai Alai one night & won $26. We went to Miami & Little Havana, did some paddling, swimming & laying out on the beach. It was a great 1st anniversary & all of the stress melted from our souls as soon as we stepped off the plane.

I have more pics I will post later when I have more time.

J

JRB

My bro lives in Miami and always gets pissed that I don't come out. I always think the mountains would be better, but this sounds pretty cool. Glad you had fun, and no sharks got you.

edit - happy anniversary.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ug, i hated miami. we only went for a day. that place is HUGE. little havana was fun but i'll take key west any day. we want to go back down and hit up some of the state parks through the keys. we didnt get enough time down there.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Well, I'll be...just smack my ass & call me Suzie. :D

Yeah, it was a great time. South Florida is crazy.

...and thanks too!
(miami pics will be up soon)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Little Havana in the heart of Miami was awesome. We had some great Cafe Cubano which was some of the best coffee/espresso I have ever had & MAN WAS IT HIGH OCTANE! One sip & my scalp started to tingle & then it WAS ON!

drinking our 1st Cafe Cubano.

local enjoying some grub & cafe.

We ate at this place called Versailles that was sooooo gooood. we all had cuban sandwiches & just sat back watched the people.

We also stopped in a cuban bakery for some pasteles.
mmmmm.....meat pastry.

Calle Ocho is the main drag through Little Havana.

Maximo Gomez Park. This is where the local old men go to play dominoes, smoke their cigars, sip cafe cubano & talk politics.

Maximo Gomez.

We didnt make it to South Beach so I guess we have to back. :D

It was great time in all, but we really enjoyed the culture of Little Havana. It really felt like being in another country.

The rest of the trip we just bummed around the beach, my parents pool & did some paddling.

We also went to the Jai Alai Fronton hoping to win some big queso. It was a blast, we won $26 on the first game we bet on, which funded the rest of the nights betting & beer. Jai Alai is a blast & yelling at the players when they loose your money was almost as much fun as winning. :D

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
TN said:
We had some great Cafe Cubano which was some of the best coffee/espresso I have ever had & MAN WAS IT HIGH OCTANE! One sip & my scalp started to tingle & then it WAS ON!
Nice pics...

First time I drank a cuban coffee my eyes almost jumped out of my skull... my wife and inlaws (Cuabn Americans) almost fell out of their chairs they were laughing so hard!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Happy Anniversary...

Glad you guys had fun at all the places that I try to avoid like the plague.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
BillT said:
I'd have to ditto Rob's remarks, however, Versailles is nice place to go late at night for snack.
understandable. the traffic from Miami to Coral Springs (& everywhere else for that matter) was INSANE & damn I thought people couldn't drive here....boy was I wrong. Even the drive to PBI on Sunday morning at 8am was terrible. :mumble: It's no wonder everyone down there is always pissed off.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
TN said:
It's no wonder everyone down there is always pissed off.
Who? ME?!?!?! I'm never angry, am I Rob? :mumble: :D

There is a lot of interesting stuff down here, but like a hot, stupid chick, it's nice to look at every now and then, but gets old fast if you have to deal with it every day.

At least somebody built some nice mtb trails... :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Slugman said:
Nice pics...

First time I drank a cuban coffee my eyes almost jumped out of my skull... my wife and inlaws (Cuabn Americans) almost fell out of their chairs they were laughing so hard!

i couldn't get enough of it. i think i drank so much that it made me sick, and i'm no light weight when it comes to coffee.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Happy Anniversary...

Glad you guys had fun at all the places that I try to avoid like the plague.

we didnt even get to see some of the stuff in miami that i wanted to see but i don't care enough to ever go back. f that. i don't think i have ever seen so much traffic in the middle of a weekday in my life. i'll take a good night of jai-alai in dania any time.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
laura said:
we didnt even get to see some of the stuff in miami that i wanted to see but i don't care enough to ever go back. f that. i don't think i have ever seen so much traffic in the middle of a weekday in my life. i'll take a good night of jai-alai in dania any time.

You guys should come down during the winter so you can bring your bikes and get some riding in.

Depending on what you want to do I can help you avoid the nastiness of South Florida traffic. Little Havanna is one of the WORST areas, it is land locked by everything, over crowded and lacking traffic planning. Actually I try to avoid Miami-Dade county except for..

Driving through it to get to the Keys
Driving to Oleta River State Park (where there are trails)
and thats about it...