Quantcast

South Florida vs. the rest of the country

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
So the fiance and I are driving up the beach yesterday, when the realization sinks in, once again, they we may not be cut out to continue living in South Florida. Both of us have lived in Ft. Lauderdale our entire, lives minus college. Rachael is in grad school & I am working the family business (structural engineering).

Now I realize this most likely isn't specific to only South Florda, but we can't help but wonder what else lies out there. Maybe out west somewhere. Any suggestions? Good people, good riding, good food? Figure I might let Rach bring home the bacon for a while so I can go back to school and become the rock star of geology. Ha...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
It all depends at what's important to you. I couldn't image living anywhere but in the PNW. Great riding...all types of it. With Whistler and the Shore a day trip away there's something for everyone.

I guess the weather can be a downer at times, but once you stop fighting the rain and just go with it, it's not so bad :think: Traffic sucks, but where doesn't it in a larger city?

Good luck :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You won't find much better food or culture than S.FL.

I was born in NMB and moved north over the years several times up to Boca Raton. Then I moved to here to Denver. I went into culture shock. The diversity of food, music, culture is wonderful in sFL. I love the Rocky Mountains and wouldn't move back to FL, but FL has some awesome qualities!

Man, I miss places like Coconut Grove or the Musicians Exchange or the Jamiacan club in Miami that had real reggae and real jamiacan food. Hell, Pollo Tropical is a billion times better carribean food than you'll find anywhere in Denver. (It's a fast food chain for those that don't know).

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
LordOpie said:
Man, I miss places like Coconut Grove or the Musicians Exchange or the Jamiacan club in Miami that had real reggae and real jamiacan food. Hell, Pollo Tropical is a billion times better carribean food than you'll find anywhere in Denver. (It's a fast food chain for those that don't know).
I miss Isla's and Noche Buena. Other than that you can have South Florida. :)

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
Colin said:
Figure I might let Rach bring home the bacon for a while so I can go back to school and become the rock star of geology. Ha...
i minorly alter a quote from a dilirious surgery patient when i say that you should become a "board-certified, bad-ass, five star geology professor ninja."

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
For riding and such, I would say the PNW is a good bet. The my next vote would go to colorado, and then possibly the south west.

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT move to the east coast

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I'm from central Florida. Lived there for 46 years, now I'm in Arizona. Started riding about 6 years ago back in Florida. Markham, Quiet Waters, Carter Road, The T.O.E., Red Bug and Tom Brown in Tallahassee, Hardrock, Deleon Springs, and of course Santos. Now I'm out here in the mountains west of Phoenix and have about 12 different mountain ranges/trails within 2 - 2 and 1/2 hours of the house, some awesome trails within 30 -40 minutes of the house.

Although, I am working my way to the Seattle area.....maybe!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
LordOpie said:

I was born in NMB and moved north over the years several times up to Boca Raton. Then I moved to here to Denver. I went into culture shock. The diversity of food, music, culture is wonderful in sFL. I love the Rocky Mountains and wouldn't move back to FL, but FL has some awesome qualities!

dude, i liked pollo tropical so much when i was a little child... that when we went my mom took me on vacations to the US to see mickey mouse, i always wanted to go to el pollo tropical, and whenever we came back to Lima i wondered about the wonders of the very american concept of "free soda refills"...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
LordOpie said:

You sure as hell won't.......in DENVER. ;)

I grew up in Florida and spent college years at UF, frequently stayed in Miami with friends, south beach/deco area mostly. I moved to northern California 5 years ago and have not regretted a thing. I miss Cuban food sure but there are more relevant things that other cities provide, often in more abundance. I miss diving in the keys but I don't miss crowded, flat sandy bike riding and hikes that never top a hundred feet in elevation change. Travel.........lots. That's the only way to know for sure. It made me realize I love the mountains and despise oppressive heat and humidity.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
If you end up in Denver, you can join me in the geek farm (aka Colorado School of Mines). I plan on joining the "energetic materials" club. Guess what they do for sh!tz and giggles ;)

Edit: I wonder if you have to be a chem major to be in that club?

I am also from Fort Lauderdale, I grew up off 82nd and McNabb. After moving out of there and being in Atlanta for several years now, I have realized that I will never live in south FLA ever, ever, ever again. I probably will move to the west somewhere in a few years, but........There is so much more out there.

So, here is my overwhelming wisdom, my uncanny advice and my experience in this subject.

1. Ask for your wife's, honest, untainted opinion

2. Discuss it (pros and cons)

3. And then, do exactly what she wants to do!

:thumb:

No, in all seriousness man, just follow your heart. If it is something that is important to both of you; then follow through with it, see where it takes you.

You will always wonder and never know where you would be if you would have taken that leap.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<PURA VIDA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<RIDE HARD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Colorado is cool but drivers there tend to be on the crappy side.

I liked Virginia. Close to DC.

Tennessee would have been cooler if I had stayed in one place.

North Carolina is pretty nice.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Colin.... Atlanta and Charlotte would probably be decent places to look. However you arent telling everyone the whole story now are you? The job market and YOUR roll at your current place of employment are certainly important pieces.

Not to mention both of your families are in the area arent they?

See ya at TM this Saturday?

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Colin.... Atlanta and Charlotte would probably be decent places to look. However you arent telling everyone the whole story now are you? The job market and YOUR roll at your current place of employment are certainly important pieces.
Rob is correct. But, there was never any expectation for me to continue with the family business. Might want to look into that, though. I am sad that the business may die out with my father retiring, because he has worked so hard to bring the company to where it is today. At times I hate concrete restoration, especially dealing with contractors.

The job market and housing costs are what scare me, but since I'm supporting the both of us riight now, when Rachael is done *hopefully* she can get a well-paying job and I can get my graduate degree. The University of Hawaii has a nice tectonics program...

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Not to mention both of your families are in the area arent they?
Si.

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
See ya at TM this Saturday?
Sure.