Quantcast

South Fork Skokomish FYI

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
We rode this trail today, a repeat of a ride I did with Skookum last May. Conditions have not changed, just dry and dusty.

We started at the trailhead as opposed to the horse camp. The trail head is where the outhouse sits. We pedalled and sometimes pushed to as far as you could bike and then some. That was a hair over 9.5 miles. Elevation at the high point was only 350 feet higher than where we began but the total ride of just under 20 miles saw an accumulated elevation gain of 2200 feet. Lots of up and downs and quite a few pushes. We saw no bikes but lots of hikers and few dead fish.

Yeah. :blah:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
sweet, that trail is good. Definately cool to know about the drastic difference in cumulative to gained elevation on that ride. We skimped out on a bit on our ride and i still felt worked.

So would you recommend starting from the proper trailhead and how was the singletrack up beyond where we decided to stop last time?

BTW did a river ride today Cooper River/Pete Lake in Salmon La Sac today, man it was awesome!!!! The trail continues on but stops for mt. bikes because of stupid wilderness....

but 14 miles of sweet out and back goodness.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Welp... the additional 2 1/2 miles of trail are nothing special. I don't like hike-a-bike and there is plenty after about 3/4 of a mile past where we stopped last time - it is worth it for about another 1/4 mile.

The first 3/4" of a mile involve a 240 ft push climb which is a drag to start but cool to finish on.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Serial Midget said:
Welp... the additional 2 1/2 miles of trail are nothing special. I don't like hike-a-bike and there is plenty after about 3/4 of a mile past where we stopped last time - it is worth it for about another 1/4 mile.

The first 3/4" of a mile involve a 240 ft push climb which is a drag to start but cool to finish on.
Cool, much as i suspected. It's a great little trail, i'm stoked that i was able to turn you on to it, being how it's fairly close to ya.
You should try Lower Big Quilcene someday, it's a very similiar out and back river ride, but much shorter with a descent that's real easy smooth flowy and fast.
When Snacks get's healed i was gonna lead a "Snacks is healed" ride or something like that, you should watch for it and tag along.