Quantcast

South Seatac riders take note.

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
thanks dave. recently there discussing w/ others the impending redevelopmt. noticed new official Proposed Land Use sign @ the 200th St trailhead lot but maybe it'll start 1st off 216th. hopefully the FR/jump section will be left alone for a while!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
"It's an area that's just overgrown," Commission President Bob Edwards said. "I've heard there's coyotes within this vast area."
How dare they talk about Andy this way! :angry: ;)

This is the area that the Des Moines Cops train in, on the hill across the street from the Post Office and the born again church.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Skookum said:
How dare they talk about Andy this way! :angry: ;)

This is the area that the Des Moines Cops train in, on the hill across the street from the Post Office and the born again church.
I've been called much worse.:D

They've also done drills recently in the area adjacent to the field in the park as well.

Anywho, it's an area that has no practical use for the "suits" so why would it be allowed to remain as a public park? You can't make a profit off of something like that. That being said, I guess it's time for me to start scouting the hills in my area. I've been looking for something just a little more local anyway.:sneaky:

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Yeah, between my Blair Witch episode at SST tonight, and the redevelopement BS, I think it's time to put shovel to dirt and hammer and axe to wood down here in Puyallup...I've got a couple of ideas already...

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Reprinted from where I posted it in the "Psyco?!" thread:

It's funny that this post would be on top, because this very night I was up there riding all by my lonesome at SST. Couple of dog walkers and a XC couple packing up as I got there at about 7. So I merrily ride down to the park in full-face and leg pads and session the park alone for about 45. Beautiful evening, sunlight shining through the dust I was stirring up, dirt in perfect condition...then, on what was going to be one of my last runs down I was blazing hot from the very top, railed the center berm heading for the middle line, and got the gnarliest case of screaming heebie jeebies that I have ever had in my life. So bad that I bailed off the line and rolled the berm to the left week-kneed, passing my flavorite little jump at the bottom, tried the last little 6"er and almost fell over, then walked quickly up to the road. All of a sudden I was overcome by relentless, intense chills, and the weirdest feeling of being watched I have ever felt in my life. Needless to say, I bailed straight away down the road, feeling like this is the part in the movie where everyone in the theater is screaming "get out, get out!" Now, I'm 6'3" tall, 235 pounds, and I know my way around the practicalities of self defense from a variety of successful hands-on forced learning experiences. I have bushwacked and solo-camped in untracked parts of nearly every pass and lowland forest in this state, and in Oregon as well, and being in the woods alone doesn't bother me at all, but tonight I was as scared as I have ever been. I don't know that this lends anything useful to the discussion, but I will not be riding alone out there again (I don't think that I mentioned this: I primarily ride SST in the early morning, when no one is there or folks are just showing up, so this is no where near the first time I had the park to myself).

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
My wife went down there with me a couple of times: after the second, when I rode the jumps and she took off to run some singletrack alone, she has never wanted to go back there. After I told her this story last night (the full version, my post omits a couple of points for the purpous of expeditious typing and not making myself sound like a fruitloop in public too much) she that "that's the reason I don't want to go there, that place gives me a bad feeling!"

Anybody else have SST Blair Witch stories?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
No, I wasn't stalking you, Trace. I was at work and I have witnesses to back me up.

I was ALWAYS wary when I was unemployed and doing alot of work down there last fall. I had a shovel and usually a machete on-hand, so I wasn't overly paranoid...just very aware of things going on around me. Definitely seen my share of interesting folks in that park.
I didn't ride when nobody else was around - mostly out of fear of crashing bad and being helpless out there of all places.

After all, there's coyotes out there for all we know.:eek:

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Which could very well be what gave me the willies: if there was a pack of coyotes or feral dogs out there sizing me up for dinner that would probably do the trick!

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Thats kinda weird that you say that, i was there on sunday night with mandown and everyone that was there left, and we just kept riding. we were walking the hill back tot he top and right about the time i was saddling up i heard this crazy wierd woosh noise that sounded like something hauling ass through the jumps. But we were the only people there and standing right next to each other. I just forgot about it and kept riding, but that is f'd up that its all haunted and ****. did gary really take one of his victims there?

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Moved from the thread I deleted:

On October 15, the skeletal remains of Yvonne Antosh, who was last seen on May 31, was found near Soos Creek on Auburn-Black Diamond Road. She was one of the few victims to have had a missing person's report filed on her. Twelve days later, the partially buried skeleton of Constance Naon was found in an area south of Sea-Tac Airport.

Kelly Ware, victim

The task force investigators believed that there were probably more bodies to be found in that area, so they decided to conduct a search with the assistance of a team of teenaged Explorer Boy Scouts. On October 29, during a sweep of the empty lots surrounding the airport, one of the scouts found a skeleton covered with trash beneath some bushes. The remains were later identified as Kelly Ware, 22.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/greenriver/vu_3.html?sect=2

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
This is all so freaky. I've been away from sst for about a month, but I was heading there late mornings during the week quite often. During that time, all seemed "normal." I've run into woman walking their dogs, to men walking dogs, and joggers. All seems "safe" to me, but after hearing all this, I think I'll bring my dog as I am usually riding alone out there.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i've gone night riding by myself thru there in the chilly fog. Spoo000ooky.

A couple of night rides i've done i've heard unexplainable noises in the distance. There is a real old graveyard on the northwest side of SST, that's had a history of vandalism. Plus the area was full of houses that are now woods, now the houses are gone, but are all the former occupants?

Yes there was a Green River body found there years ago, back when he was killing women who knows if that was a spot where he killed more. It's very close to the strip.

When we were kids (i grew up on the hill on Des Moines Memorial Drive) we would try to camp out in the "Sandpits" which was the area's name before the port closed it off for years before it became the park. We would never make it, we'd always freak and go spend the night at some kids house on the hill.

Do i think the place is haunted? Yah probably, does that mean i won't ride there anymore? Nah... Big deal i'm way more afraid of the crackheads breaking into my car than getting ghosted at SST.

Anyone wanna go for a nightride there in a few months with me? :D

Oh yah and the "wooshing" sound is just a phenomenom of the air collapsing after a plane comes in for a landing. Pretty cool and funny to watch people trip out on when they don't know what it is aha.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Yeah, the wooshing is the wingtip vortices (little tornados trailing off the tips of the wings of any plane, caused by the difference in air pressure between the lift-creating low pressure area on the top of the wing and the normal pressure area underneath) that, on big planes like passenger jets, are so powerful that they can flip a small plane! There are FAA rules for how far behind you must stay and what altitude must be maintained by smaller planes following big planes in for landing and in flight patterns because of that.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
I'd be down for a night ride, that actually sounds pretty sic! just light the place up with spot lights and mob! so what exactly was sst before it was a park? and what is with the big open field in the middle? Alright, one last stupid annoying question, it looks like a dozer was in there lately, is something going in? or are they just screwing stuff up?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Motoking16 said:
I'd be down for a night ride, that actually sounds pretty sic! just light the place up with spot lights and mob! so what exactly was sst before it was a park? and what is with the big open field in the middle? Alright, one last stupid annoying question, it looks like a dozer was in there lately, is something going in? or are they just screwing stuff up?
It was a residential neighborhood. Port of Seattle bought the houses, some people tried fighting it to get a better deal for their house. Noise pollution was too great under the flight path. The sand feild used to be a small area for dirt bikes to jump around in the 70's. Then they made it into a soccer field for awhile, that was pretty dumb, you can ride thru the goal on one of the XC trails. All the while they were buying up and pulling out houses left and right. In the late eighties the last few houses were finally pulled out, right where the flow park trails start. They fenced it off after that and now it is what it is, until they run a freeway or golf course or whatever else thru it.

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
girlwhoboards said:
i'll ride with ya jockette :)...i have next week off.
You're on!! :dancing: Will be nice to finally meet you since we never hooked up during that lame snowboarding season. Depending on how tall you are, I have a trail bike you could ride. It's a small frame which fits me fine at 5'5". PM me for details and times.

By the way, nice avatar. Surfing is such fun!!