Quantcast

southeast photo thread

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Couple of Sugar Mtn shots.

Just to warn people, someone attempted to reroute the Donovan's Dungeon entrance AND the entrance berm into Lizards Lane. This part has two large boulders placed directly in the middle of the trail, me and Hunter were pretty close to hitting these on our run. The step down under the ski lift is also a death booter right now, so don't even consider trying to hit it.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Seriously if you ride sugar be very careful everywhere, we knew that changes had been going on in donovans so we checked it out before trying to ride the best part of sugar...but if you dropped in right now you would end up in the ER. Who knows what other "awesome" changes will start to occur so make sure your first run is super chill. Sugar Brad if you see this please send me a PM.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Both, but the updates are trying to dumb down classic sugar mountain gnar. I wouldn't take the trip for a little while, we're going to get a crew out to clean up soon.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I am sure a few of you are worried about us (Sugar trail crew) turning the trails into beginner runs or whatever so here are some pics of much needed trail attention. This winter was super hard on the trails. The combination of thunderstorms, snow melting, and years of neglect had taken its toll on the trails. The worst part was under the lift and the entrance to Lizard's lane. There was a giant trench from the step down jump all the way to the creek crossing at Lizard's. At its deepest it was waist high when I stood in the middle of it. It was like a monsoon hit every week this winter. I assure you nothing is being "dumbed down" or changed to "fit my riding ability" so that I can ride with my training wheels mounted. Enough talk pics:
right retaining wall
[/IMG]
left retaining wall
[/IMG]
Run into lizard's

Looking up with multiple water bars and drainage

Berm with drain pipe at lowest point

Berm entry and exit

Berm approach (still working on section uphill from berm

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Yeah that might work. That section is really fast though, not sure how you would brake, then go off the top of it. The catch berm is needed to control your speed and set you up for lizards. Long term goal is to incorporate large rocks so that there's not so much smooth dirt and to help with erosion. Lots of rock would be needed but there is a virtually unlimited supply.They would be securely and tightly arranged and be flat on top to maintain a constant grade and allow enough speed to make the uphill. I would like to do that all the way up to where the trash drop is under the lift. I also plan on removing both retaining walls in favor of pavers with geo grid every layer.

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
That looks awesome, 100% different from the stupid S berm garbage and pile of death rocks that we encountered. Nice work. If that sketchyness that I saw wasn't your work I apologize, this looks legit and won't injure anyone/ruin the section under the lift.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
All good man, as stated before the work in the dungeon wasn't mine and the s berm was temporary because I wasn't sure if I could get off of my other job in time to open the trails. I moved about 100 or so medium to large size rocks today after work and will be armoring in the tiers leading into lizards first, followed by the catch berm and above that all of the way up the lift line. I should have taken before and after pics so you guys could have seen how bad the erosion was.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
So here is what we are going for. Trying to make it not look like a patio so letting it kind of sag in places. We started with this tier in the middle because we figured it would take a lot of abuse. It definitely won't rut out now lol. I got the top tier done tonight after work. Kristian Jackson is going to try to swing by Tuesday and give us some pointers on what direction to go with the section leading up to the berm. Here are a couple pics to give you an idea.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Anytime, trails are open. Everything is good to go. A couple of the berms need to be polished but other than that the DH trail is running good. I will be continuing rock work for a while and adding a drain to the berm after the gap jump.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So here is what we are going for. Trying to make it not look like a patio so letting it kind of sag in places. We started with this tier in the middle because we figured it would take a lot of abuse. It definitely won't rut out now lol. I got the top tier done tonight after work. Kristian Jackson is going to try to swing by Tuesday and give us some pointers on what direction to go with the section leading up to the berm. Here are a couple pics to give you an idea.
[/IMG]
For the creeks, I'd recommend diverting the creeks into a single flow or doing something similar to the bottom of Greens Lick. Elevate the dirt/rock in between to two flows so that they can't bleed out growing wider and only run in narrow channels. Add extra large, flat rocks to each edge of the stream bed to encourage them to stay narrow.
c