Quantcast

southeast photo thread

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
These are some from the NORBA event hosted at sugar last month. I was looking through them and I thought I would post a few.

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Yep, got those shots walking down the Super D course….

Here are some more random images from that Saturday.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That's a great shot. I learned to ride single track there way back in the day. When a tree falls across the trail at Salem it's left there, not cut out, but left, so riders have to hop over it. That is so rare these days. Now, for me, Bent Creek is the closest place to ride. That place has been turned into a homogenized, baby butt smooth, eight foot wide, terrain diversity lacking, logged disappointment. Yeah, I guess I miss Salem.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ha...now that i live about 5 minutes from salem i'll be doing more "grooming" of the trail. i like to hop over logs too but lately there have been a lot of full sized trees that cannot be ridden over or under. i think that me and mr. chainsaw will be busy early this fall.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Nooo! The unwritten rule about that place is to use the fallen log to create an obstacle. If it's too high to hop, build up a stack of smaller logs on both sides of it. Be careful of using a chainsaw out there. The power co. that owns it freaks about gas powered tools. Also, technically, mt. bikes are illegal in the woods there. A chainsaw would most definitely draw attention. When I lived there the Sierra Club tried to get mt. bikes banned from there. Keep maintenance on the d-low.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
AngryMetalsmith said:
Nooo! The unwritten rule about that place is to use the fallen log to create an obstacle. If it's too high to hop, build up a stack of smaller logs on both sides of it. Be careful of using a chainsaw out there. The power co. that owns it freaks about gas powered tools. Also, technically, mt. bikes are illegal in the woods there. A chainsaw would most definitely draw attention. When I lived there the Sierra Club tried to get mt. bikes banned from there. Keep maintenance on the d-low.

um...how do you think most of the stuff has been built out there, you ever notice the nicely groomed chainsaw marks on a lot of the trees? it took me about an hour to saw through a 12" thick log with one of those rope saws so to hell with that. it's not as loud as you think and, in short bursts, it's hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
you obviously haven't been there in a looong time. there are trees down that don't necessitate building a stunt or "xc pyramid" over because the tree itself is about 3-4' off the ground and the trail turns directly behind it.
besides, i know a lot of the winston pd guys that patrol that area and we have a "professional understanding" :D

and since this is a photo thread
alex on the hip

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Forgive Jack...he's like me...bitter and mistrusting of "trail work". Come to Asheville and see what we mean sometime. All the roots, rocks and off camber that made Pisgah the best place to ride are being ripped out by "trail stewards".

I'm a member of the local SORBA chapter and haven't been able to help at a single trail session so I have NO ROOM to talk...but at the same time, myself and the head honcho of our chapter are both all about some roots and rocks as opposed to cart paths.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i dig logs and obstructions as much as most, it's just the completely impassable ones that need to go. what can you do with a tree that is leaning across the trail at chest height? can't go over, can't go under it.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
What, you can't hop a chest high tree on a 45 pound bike? I'm not trying to crack on you dude. I'm just saying you guys have a hidden litte gem out there. That trail has not been dumbed down by the powers that be. So enjoy all those challenging technical features. Bent Creek now makes Tsali seem tehnical.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
It rained a bunch and cooled things off nicely so we headed over to plattepuss to ride a bit. I really need it too cause I hadn't ridden my downhill bike for like a month. We hit one of the new lines and we mainly just took some pics while we were there since it was late and starting to get dark when we got there.

Me off the stepdown:

Craig off the stepdown

Craig off a rock drop on the new line

me off the same rock drop

Craig off this gap on the new line

Me on the gap

and me off some little jump/drop thats like immediately after the gap

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Unfortunately, there is no exciting story... it was just a dumb accident.
I was helping a friend move a washing machine up a flight of stairs and things kinda went wrong when the washing machine jumped off the hand truck... I was on the underside and grabbed the wrong thing when the machine started to tumble at me :ouch:. It is healing very well though.