Quantcast

southeast photo thread

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Hey guys, I've seen a few pictures of a trail in the western NC area that I think is called Bent Creek, the one that has a lot of jumps on it. I can't find it in the MTB book I have so I was wondering if anyone could give some relative directions, basically if it's in Pisgah and where in Pisgah is it.

Oh and so I'm not spamming, here's a couple shots from Dirt jumping yesterday.

And the step up/down we built.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
The trail is called Green's Lick, and it's in Bent Creek Experimental Forest (which is technically in Pisgah ranger district, most people just refer to it as Bent Creek though)

From Asheville, take I-240 west to I-26 east and get off on exit 2, NC 191. Turn left, pass the Biltmore Square Mall, and head south on NC 191 for 2 miles. Turn right at the stoplight onto Bent Creek Ranch Road, following the brown signs to the Lake Powhatan Recreation Area (bear left at fork after 0.2 mi on this road). You will pass the hardtimes trail head on your left and continue on to where the road forks, go right. The paved road turns to gravel, then take your first right into a parking area.

*I won't include lengths, however if you have any question about these directions you will more than likely run across someone you can ask*
From that parking area take a right, past a gate onto a gravel road, follow it until you come to a three way intersection with picnic tables. You want to take a hard left (name??), follow that road until it starts going downhill. At that peak take a right onto a trail (name???). Follow that until you come to another three way intersection, which you will again take a hard left at. Follow this trail until you come to a four way intersection, go as strait across as you can (I believe it's called North Boundary??). Follow this for a while and the first trail on your left will be Green's Lick, there is a forest service trail marker...you can't miss it. Follow the trail down and onto the gravel road at the bottom, this gravel road will T into another rd. Take a left at this intersection, continue on until on your right there is a wooden bridge and a bulletin board. Take a right across this bridge, when this trail ends you will end up at a four way intersection, take a left. You will go past an entry/guard's gate, and continue going strait; after the entry gate take your first left onto that same dirt road you pulled in on.

These directions are correct, they are just missing trail names, if anyone would like to put those up I'll change them.

Oh yeah, a pic:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
the pisgah you are thinking about is a little bit further out. yeh its the same national forest but its huge. follow his directions to a t and you will have no probs. have fun man and enjoy the climb to the top. ohh and heres a little taste of what your gonna have.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
a pic of part of a trail system my brother and i have been working on off and on in our weekends and breaks at home from school.

Have a short DH setup ive built/raked/dug/blasted and some big log jumps in the works over spring break.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
Heres a pic of my new setup...still needs a few things (better brakes, bar, derailleur-- i ran out of cash)- but hell im up and running and its serving as my grocery getting urban commuter.

Mavic D521 Rims/Xt hub
Saint Crankset
Fox DHX 3.0
2003 Junior T
and the rest were parts we picked up around our shop to piece it together.

sorry its not an action shot..ill get some up soon.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Robbie those gaps look bigger since the last time I was out at your place???? Or is that just me being a pussy. Like I said I wanna get out on the hardtail soon, Ill keep ya posted on what we are doing this weekend. Maybe come out to your place. Or talk to that Landon kid he seems to know of some jump spots, but whatever we will figure something out.

kona-rider

Monkey
Sep 17, 2006
Chapel Hill, NC/Charleston, SC
Heres a pic of my new setup...still needs a few things (better brakes, bar, derailleur-- i ran out of cash)- but hell im up and running and its serving as my grocery getting urban commuter.

Mavic D521 Rims/Xt hub
Saint Crankset
Fox DHX 3.0
2003 Junior T
and the rest were parts we picked up around our shop to piece it together.

sorry its not an action shot..ill get some up soon.
nice bike man, i ride a kona coiler and live in mt pleasant.....where do you usually ride?

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
nice bike man, i ride a kona coiler and live in mt pleasant.....where do you usually ride?
i go to CofC, but i just brought the stinky down here from home (charlotte, nc) to finish building it.

i usually ride at marrington up at the navy base...where do you ride?

i heard the trails in summerville were "pretty good"...but being in the lowcountry really limits the good riding. marrington isnt terrible..but its not great either.

kona-rider

Monkey
Sep 17, 2006
Chapel Hill, NC/Charleston, SC
i'm a senior at Wando high, and some kids i know that ride bmx built a little pump track with some dirt jumps behind my neighborhood so i usually ride there, i've never made it out to marrignton or the sumerville trails, usually i take trips up to NC and ride at PeeWee's or Wilsons Creek or Sugar in the summer.....

is marington just xc....i've been meaning to go check it out for a while

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
got a few pics from our pisgah trip last sunday.

chillin before the decent

cory playin around on some rocks

me on the water bar section.

and vince bringin up the rear.

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
i'm a senior at Wando high, and some kids i know that ride bmx built a little pump track with some dirt jumps behind my neighborhood so i usually ride there, i've never made it out to marrignton or the sumerville trails, usually i take trips up to NC and ride at PeeWee's or Wilsons Creek or Sugar in the summer.....

is marington just xc....i've been meaning to go check it out for a while
yeah marrington is just xc...long and flat...but pretty cool bc its in the marsh and swamplands. if you wanna go just pm me and maybe we can have a heavy rig ride.

pump track and djs sound good...pm me next time your gonna ride and id love to get the stinky in the air...its been my grocery getter for the past to weeks :/

Oct 9, 2006
Here are a couple of pics from a drop near asheville. The pics are a little dark, I dont have photo shop at work. The drop is somewhere between 12-15 feet from lip to landing. It has a slightly intimidating element to the run-out.

Attachments