Quantcast

Southern California bike park?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Ok, here it goes.

been working on this for a while now, it has taken a lot longer then i thought it would...been trying to keep it on the down low, but the owner has asked me to post this to see what the response is...i already know. but fire away please.

there are a lot of things that will need to be done before this is a reality but things are moving in that direction.

In no way am i saying that there IS a bike park open.

The Location is Vail Lake resort http://www.vaillakeresort.com/index.php?p=2_4_Photo-Tour

Just out side of Temecula....they have 9000 acre's, no that is not a typo. the facility also has 450 camp sites a 1200 acre lake, miniture golf , water slides, horse back riding and a newly finished RC car track.

The first phase would be a hill that has 500 ft of elevation...
there would be between 4 and 6 runs off this hill, 2 of the existing Super D type trails will be modified and have jump features added,
this is all shuttle access.
we have 2 other peaks that are the same elevation drop that will be used for phase 2 depending on success of the park and if it continues to grow, there is a canyon that can be used that has 700 feet of elevation on one side and 1200 feet on the other....we also would love to build dirt jumps/ 4x and DS courses but first we want DH stuff to be the focus.

events already are taking place out here, along with a big network of trails...x terra and 24 hours of Temecula as well as a couple of local XC series....but there is no gravity yet.
Ultimately it is going to be a decision by the property owner to pull the trigger, i have explained to him how hungry our area is for a lift accessed DH park, and presented him with spread sheets and data to show him the potential....he is on the fence about it but leaning towards going for it.

i say don't be afraid to call them and ask when the bike park will be open.

thoughts?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thoughts are that you or the land owner should contact northstar, mammoth, and bootleg canyon and find out just how big a market southern california dh is and just how bad the populace wants it......indicated by their willingness to regularly travel to these places.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
So cal DH'rs are driving some stupid long distances to get to a chairlift or dedicated terrain. Name a price and most of us will pay it.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Ahem... clear you pm box EC.

Ok, here it goes.

been working on this for a while now, it has taken a lot longer then i thought it would...been trying to keep it on the down low, but the owner has asked me to post this to see what the response is...i already know. but fire away please.

there are a lot of things that will need to be done before this is a reality but things are moving in that direction.

In no way am i saying that there IS a bike park open.

The Location is Vail Lake resort http://www.vaillakeresort.com/index.php?p=2_4_Photo-Tour

Just out side of Temecula....they have 9000 acre's, no that is not a typo. the facility also has 450 camp sites a 1200 acre lake, miniture golf , water slides, horse back riding and a newly finished RC car track.

The first phase would be a hill that has 500 ft of elevation...
there would be between 4 and 6 runs off this hill, 2 of the existing Super D type trails will be modified and have jump features added,
this is all shuttle access.
we have 2 other peaks that are the same elevation drop that will be used for phase 2 depending on success of the park and if it continues to grow, there is a canyon that can be used that has 700 feet of elevation on one side and 1200 feet on the other....we also would love to build dirt jumps/ 4x and DS courses but first we want DH stuff to be the focus.

events already are taking place out here, along with a big network of trails...x terra and 24 hours of Temecula as well as a couple of local XC series....but there is no gravity yet.
Ultimately it is going to be a decision by the property owner to pull the trigger, i have explained to him how hungry our area is for a lift accessed DH park, and presented him with spread sheets and data to show him the potential....he is on the fence about it but leaning towards going for it.

i say don't be afraid to call them and ask when the bike park will be open.

thoughts?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If you had an a-line or better, a dirt merchant like trail, that would attract lots of people. :drool:

If there's a lift, it doesn't cost too much, and well built fun trails, I'd be going there with friends all the time. :rofl:

Alloy

Monkey
Aug 13, 2004
thousand oaks, ca
That would pretty sweet... I would be in for sure and I know most others that ride around my area would be as well.

you should try to get Donny's email list, He has to have at least 500 So cal DHers all hungry for trails. Send out a mass email with your name in the sender field and you'll get a huge response. Who's not going to open an email from Eric Carter? Use the same headline "New So Cal Bike Park" ...give people a link to this thread, and a message they can cut and paste. Make it quick and easy to resond and many more people will.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Looks great! What can I do to help??? This looks like the most promising chance for DH in Southern California with an ambassador like EC doing some of the leg work for it.

Any recommendations??? Email them?

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
I live in Mission Viejo and would gladly drive out there and even camp and spend time in the other areas of the park. A good Dual Slalom course would be ideal for me. Sign me up!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
EC, good to see some of you guys stepping up to help out with getting the Land owners to open up to us DHers. We are trying to do the same here in the South East. Hope to see something happen here soon. Props to all involved!!!!:clapping:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I don't live in socal anymore, but I will move back probably within two years. I will also be down there quite a bit in the time between visiting friends. A temecula bike park would be awesome since it could be open almost year round. If it was available, I would definitely buy a season pass. If not, I would definitely pay to ride each time. Socal has plenty of demand and its nice to see someone finally interesting in making some money by filling it.

I would also volunteer to work on a trail crew out there if there were work days when I'm down.

How would the shuttle access part work out? Would there be a park run shuttle, or would it be on people to shuttle themselves? I would be down for either, however it seems like it could get a little out of hand with all the bro-brahs in their flat bills and wannabe prerunners thinking they're practicing for baja while shuttling.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I don't live in socal anymore, but I will move back probably within two years. I will also be down there quite a bit in the time between visiting friends. A temecula bike park would be awesome since it could be open almost year round. If it was available, I would definitely buy a season pass. If not, I would definitely pay to ride each time. Socal has plenty of demand and its nice to see someone finally interesting in making some money by filling it.

I would also volunteer to work on a trail crew out there if there were work days when I'm down.

How would the shuttle access part work out? Would there be a park run shuttle, or would it be on people to shuttle themselves? I would be down for either, however it seems like it could get a little out of hand with all the bro-brahs in their flat bills and wannabe prerunners thinking they're practicing for baja while shuttling.
It would be a park provided shuttle service......the owner is about 95% complete on getting the road shuttle worthy over the last 2 months

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I think Vail Lake would be a perfect spot for a bike park. It's easy to get to, has pretty much everything you need in one place. Nice thing about it, is you can camp ride, and there is also other stuff to do in the same place. Plus it's close to town.

Shade would be good. I got fried like an egg out there a couple years ago racing the XTERRA race, the heat and sun can be brutal even at 10 in the morning as you know.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
oh! build one of those wooden canopy things and put water misters around it ala Wild Animal Park :D
there is a 1200 acre lake! and 2 swimming pools and a water slide.

misters require power and water....maybe but i don't see it on opening day.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i roll with a crew of 6 that would be there every other weekend.

the nice thing about this location, is it would be year round. winter's would be tacky and cool.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
there is a 1200 acre lake! and 2 swimming pools and a water slide.

misters require power and water....maybe but i don't see it on opening day.
Don't water slides require water and power? ;)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ haha, good catch.

They could just have a bunch of those orange gatorade things full of gatorade/water until it gets big. Then they might want a refrigerated water tap thing.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Im down, Ill pay to play.
EC-
If you need hands let me know Im always down to lend some help. Heat doesnt bother me either (roofed in Phoenix during the summers years ago :D)
Keep me posted if you need help!
It would make for a great training ground in the off season and a great way to play during the winter.
Im in Elsinore so it would be that much better of a drive for me! :D

There is such a long list of individuals that arent even on the forums that I know (local to temec.) that would be down as well, ontop of that the local shops can offer demo days and promo it for there sales as a local spot for the customers.
:thumb:

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
is there a go-kart track that is lit up at night?

if so, is it possible to just live there???

sounds like the place has a lot of potential. i assume it's all private land?

as in, you don't have to deal with the red tape and hoop jumping of the forest service?

CA_Descender

Chimp
Nov 18, 2007
Simi, CA
Sounds like a plan. Close (45min from my place) and could even make it a weekend camp 'N ride trip for the family since the little ones are not quite ready for the "self sufficient" camping and the drive is not that far.

As for only 500ft of elevation . . . I knew of a few riders (years ago) that drove just as far to ride the 550ft of elevation change just down the block from my place. The big difference, this park would be legal. :busted:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I can't believe this is even a question...

ANY shuttle/lift access in SoCal is 100% the sellers market. Name a price, and it will be paid. The SoCal population is where people are THE most hungry to ride and the most deprived (since we once had some pretty amazing local access).

As it was said before, look at the logistics of Mammoth, Northstar, and Bootleg. Look at where more than half of the riding population for each of those places comes from (well, maybe not N*, but it's still a BIG chunk). If you cut the traveling time down and just provide SOMETHING, you will have people paying MORE and MORE OFTEN for the convenience.

Again, that seems like a financial slam dunk to me if there's no red-tape, despite high insurance costs....

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I can't believe this is even a question...

ANY shuttle/lift access in SoCal is 100% the sellers market. Name a price, and it will be paid. The SoCal population is where people are THE most hungry to ride and the most deprived (since we once had some pretty amazing local access).

As it was said before, look at the logistics of Mammoth, Northstar, and Bootleg. Look at where more than half of the riding population for each of those places comes from (well, maybe not N*, but it's still a BIG chunk). If you cut the traveling time down and just provide SOMETHING, you will have people paying MORE and MORE OFTEN for the convenience.

Again, that seems like a financial slam dunk to me if there's no red-tape, despite high insurance costs....
it's exactly what i have been explaining to the owner.....

problem for him is he knows nothing about gravity MTB so he is a bit cautious on the whole topic....

it is going to cost a fair bit up front for all that needs to be done and as any business man he wants to be sure it makes sense.....

property is private property....there are some plant and butterfly issues but they are not in the area we will be building and riding.

good stuff everyone.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
yes..... but they are not in the same place that the shuttle pick up would be.
Ah HA! Make the last part of the dh run ON THE WATERSLIDE ITSELF! It'll be crazy! You'll have people arguing for days which tires are the best water slide tires and what helmet and jersey combo dry the fastest.

And for the DJ crowd, throw in a pool jump! :lighten:

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
I know a ton of us guys in SD would be up there multiple times per month.

This would be amazing!