Quantcast

Southern Hemisphere Race news - NZ Cup and Aussie nats

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Rd. 5 of the NZ nationals went down yesterday in Tauranga, Cam Cole took the win from Wyn Masters. Winner of the last round Glenn Haden had a DNF so hopefully old Glenny isn't hurt. The big news though, is American is in attendance and after he qualified in first he must have taken a digger in his race run as he brought up the rear of the field. Good outing for him on his new Evil though!

Luke Strobel
I think Jono the guy who took this pic posts here! So thanks.

RESULTS: http://www.vorb.org.nz/results-2010-cup-round-tauranga-downhill-t104516.html

Aussie National round is happening in Thredbo too, Jill does a better job explaining what happend though!

http://www.jillkintner.com/home_blog/2010/02/thredbo_aussie_national_quali.html

Awesome for her to Qualify first on such a huge course.

Last edited:

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
I am surprised Cory doesn't race WC (Jr. World Champion Vail 2001)? He seems to be on form last couple of seasons.

Thredbo results:
DH MEN
1. Ben Cory
2. Bryn Atkinson
3. Shaun O'connor
4. Chris Kovarik
5. Ameil Cavalier

Last edited:

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I think Jono the guy who took this pic posts here! So thanks.
Yup, now worries ;)

For a NZ race this one was pretty decent and had a good pit set-up which made for a better atmosphere than most DH races around the place. Having Cam & Luke plus a few more of the local elites at this round made the racing better too, hopefully it continues!

No Elite women though :(

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Honestly I thought this thread would blow up with all sorts of madness about Luke on Evil/MS for 2010, but it seems the bike geeks don't give a willys about good honest racing. Maybe the thread title should have said "What headset spacer for 2010"? Or maybe everyone else has somewhere to ride this weekend unlike me!

Oh well as you where.

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
The finals were a roll of the dice for everyone. The track was destroyed and getting a "clean" (ha) run was the objective for most. 8 minutes of masive ruts , slop , greasy goop , fog , rain etc etc. Not to take anything away from Mr Cory , he nailed it but unlike most races where 10 seconds covers a fair portion of the field , here the margins were much bigger. Just goes to show how tough it was out there.

I thought Bryns axle broke off at one end ? Either way he rode it to the bottom with only half of the swingarm taking all the load. The next day he was back in business , straightened the swingarm , fitted a new axle and der hanger (which was innocently dragged into the drama) and sat in the hot seat until Ben took the win :thumb:

Ben Cory , finals

Last edited: