Quantcast

Southwest and Bikes

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Over my spring break, we are heading out to southern california for a week with literally nothing to do (grandma's house). My question is, would i be able to check my bmx in and fly with it (not carry on, a checked item)? I have searched and couldn't find any threads that were all that recent. Could i break the bike down and put it in a relatively large suitcase with towels/clothes protecting it? I dont really want to put it in an actual bike box, with fear of the box being destroyed and my pride and joy being directly damaged too.:disgust1: I am flying southwest on a direct flight if that changes the scenario.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
most shops have hard travel cases that they will rent to you for traveling. otherwise, mondo suitcase, towels should work.

what part of soCal you comin to?

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Hermosa Beach in L.A. She lives a block away from a pretty good skate park that i hope allows bikes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yo man, I used to live in hermosa. I'm in the next town south now (Redondo Beach) - about a 10 minute ride.

and unfortunately, no. that park doesn't allow bikes. crap deal if you ask me.

on the upside, the etnies park is about an hour away, same with the vans park.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
sick. I will have to check out the info on those parks. Whats the deal with riding street? How strict are the cops around that area?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I bought a Easton hockey equipment bag that I was able to put a complete bmx bike in. If I remember correctly, it was big enough that I didn't have to take off the fork/stem/headset.

Bike boxes are solid enough that if you pack them well, your bike will be fine. That's how bikes are shipped all the time.

Airlines usually charge for brining bikes ($50+ dollars)--especially if they are in obvious bike boxes. If you break it all the way down into a bag, you may not have to pay anything.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I remember seeing some video of a bmx pro just rolling his bike, unpacked, in to the checked luggage. You might try that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sick. I will have to check out the info on those parks. Whats the deal with riding street? How strict are the cops around that area?
I've never had a problem. There's tons of people on bikes in that area, especially on the strand. Just make sure you don't stick out like a sore thumb

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I remember seeing some video of a bmx pro just rolling his bike, unpacked, in to the checked luggage. You might try that.
:rofl:

honestly, that's not a bad idea. The only thing I'd be concerned with is getting a flat. i highly doubt that baggage handlers could throw a BMX bike around any worse than a rider when they're pissed.

It'd be funny if they had video frmo the plane of baggage handlers riding it around before they loaded it.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
Call them or go online to their site for specific info. Many airlines are now allowing only one checked bag per person. Extra bags are subject to a charge. Large and/or heavy bags are subject to charges. Cardboard and hard shell bike cases will most definitely be charged. Usually about $80 each way. Try to break it down and pack it in a suit case or large bag.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
I actually have a fairly large bag, that if i broke the bike down in, i could for sure fit it in there. I would then put all the components and frame into a garbage bag which then i would put in the large bag and pad it with all the clothes and other things i will need anyway. Just a thought.

Oh, and i checked, as long as the perimeter of the bike box is not to large (i forget the actual amount) and as long as it does not weigh more than 100 lbs, then you are good to go for your one checked bag. So if i do put my bike in the bag, it only ways like 23 lbs, so i should be fine with that and the weight of the clothes. I will have to go back to the TSA website and make sure it is 100lbs per bag though.

Edit: the size must be 62 inches in size (length+width+height) and weigh less than 50lbs. I do actually have a durable soft sided bag that will easily allow for the bike and all other items. Now i just have to get my parents to give me the ok.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
How nervous should i be about SWA losing my luggage? I dont want the 900 dollars i have put into this bike to go down the drain.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
I travel quite a bit and have never had a problem with anything Southwest related. If you were on US Air on the other hand....enough said.

I once took a box full of tools from Philadelphia to Oakland that weighed almost 80 lbs, and all they did was charge me the $50 oversize bag charge. Southwest is ALWAYS super accommodating.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
SW has one of the fewest occurrences of lost luggage.

I fly SW primarily because all I have to do is show up early and I'll get a good seat... however they are consistent and I have less complaints about them than any other airline.

I think you'll be good.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
So i got my bike here in one peice. I ended up just buying a cardboard box with close to the right demensions and just modifying it to get it to the 62 inch size limit. I padded all the sides and all points of contact between the different parts to keep damage to a minimum. Thanks for all your help guys, now it 9 days of some good street.