Quantcast

Sovereign/Imperial comparison photos

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
For those of you intrested, I did the best I could to give an idea what the difference between the two frames is with a similar setup. Chainstays are as close as possible, wheelbase is almost the same.

The first shot is the rear dropouts lined up, then the BB, then a overall ht shot.

questions?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
man, camera perspective makes the Imperial look a lot smaller!

Can you try one with the Imperial in front?

Dave

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by dw
man, camera perspective makes the Imperial look a lot smaller!

Can you try one with the Imperial in front?

Dave
My biggest problem is not having enough room to take the picture, I need to find a place with better lighting too. I'll see what I can come up with.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by buildyourown
Where to I send the check?
I am sooooooooooo right with you on that! How 'bout it DW? I've got a bunch of $ for ya, tell me I can send it!

is the D.O.C a modified Sovereign? and if so, am I better off ordering the D.O.C. instead, if I'm going to set it up single-speed and use it for dirt jumping & maybe some urban?

and will the DOC be available at the same time as the Sovereign? (which is when? ;-)

and while I have you in the hotseat, I just killed my third pair of Atomlab pedal bearings (and still can't get ahold of those guys! way to go on customer service Atomlabs!), and bought some Weyless pedals as temps - I need some E-13's!!!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
what's so special about the blue bolts holding the dropout to the frame? I don't imagine they are annodized turquoise aluminum fasteners because that would be plain stupid. Still I am not familiar with any heat treating that turns the material blue with the exception of blue tempered spring steel, which I've never seen in a bolt. Care to enlighten me?

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
i know stainless steel turns blue if it gets burnt so i imagine that the bolts are heat treated stainless steel.

anybody got any predictions on the cost of the sovereign?

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by Kornphlake
aahh well then it must be turquoise nail polish he dabbled on there after he got done with his toenails. :)
Ok, before this go's any further and any rumors start.... :D

I have no idea what coating is on the bolts, probably just a anti-rust coating. But knowing Dave and his tendency to engineer the **** out of stuff, down to the last little detail. It's probably some crazy super steel that even a nuclear winter couldn't damage. :D ;)

Most of the new hardware for the guides has the same stuff. I'm sure DW knows and will chime in soon.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
They are anti-corrosion coated grade 12.9 bolts. They are almost twice as strong as stainless bolts, stronger than 10.9 bolts that rust to hell, and the coating process doesnt leave the fastener succeptible to hydrogen embrittlement like other types of coatings.

dw

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by dw
They are anti-corrosion coated grade 12.9 bolts. They are almost twice as strong as stainless bolts, stronger than 10.9 bolts that rust to hell, and the coating process doesnt leave the fastener succeptible to hydrogen embrittlement like other types of coatings.

dw
hydrogen embrittlement is such a drag.;)