Quantcast

Sox Win, Sox Win!!!!!

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Curb Hucker said:
Hell yea, ive been waiting for this for so long :thumb: World Series in Chicago and I get to go, the White Sox kick ass :thumb:

I can say that I have waited a lifetime. I will fly to Chicago if you let me have a ticket.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The Sox had a damn good team this year and I think they deserve the win, but I think they deserve the win after another game. That call by the home base ump a few days ago, regarding the pitch that was supposedly "in the dirt", was complete B.S.

The ump called the guy out on strikes. The inning was over.

Like I said, go Sox since they had such a great team, but I feel bad for the Angels to have lost such a crucial game to such a piss-poor call.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
binary visions said:
The Sox had a damn good team this year and I think they deserve the win, but I think they deserve the win after another game. That call by the home base ump a few days ago, regarding the pitch that was supposedly "in the dirt", was complete B.S.

Like I said, go Sox since they had such a great team, but I feel bad for the Angels to have lost such a crucial game to such a piss-poor call.
Not to mention it seemed to ruin the mojo of the Angels for the rest of the series.

Idiot officials. Just like the Atlanta NO game yesterday.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:

agreed it was a bad call, but bob ryan (boston globe) had a good point. how many catchers do you see, in the regular season, tag the batter out on throw near the dirt even if they knew they caught it cleanly? it should be second nature. do you think varitek would have rolled that ball back to the mound? no way in hell. the angels catcher should take some of the blame.

and the umpire didn't then steal second. and then didn't hit a double. the angels lost that game. then they showed their soft white underbelly for the rest of the series.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
the angels catcher should take some of the blame.
While I agree that the catcher should tag on a questionable call, the fact is that the ump called him out, and it wasn't until he got called out that the catcher got up and rolled the ball back to the mound.

That's the end of the play. Since when is the ump allowed to just change his mind without letting anyone know? Total B.S. If the ump thought the pitch was in the dirt, he doesn't call the batter out until the tag. He actually called him out twice if you watch the play, once as soon as the ball was caught, and a second time after the batter turned away, all while the catcher had the ball.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm not defending the ump. clearly he F'd up. but the catcher shouldn't even be going by what the ump's doing. ball near the dirt on a swinging 3rd strike? tag him. how long has the guy been playing baseball for?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Meh. Like I said, sure he should have tagged him, but I just can't fault the catcher when he acted after the ump's call.

When a base runner is called safe, does the defensive player make a point to tag him anyway just in case the ump changes his mind afterwards? On a close call with the foul line, should the defensive guy throw to first even though it was called foul, because the ump could decide he was wrong and it was fair after all?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
binary visions said:
Meh. Like I said, sure he should have tagged him, but I just can't fault the catcher when he acted after the ump's call.

When a base runner is called safe, does the defensive player make a point to tag him anyway just in case the ump changes his mind afterwards? On a close call with the foul line, should the defensive guy throw to first even though it was called foul, because the ump could decide he was wrong and it was fair after all?

I didn't think this would come up on here but if you watch the whole game the ump's strike mechanic is the closed fist which is what he did here. He extended his hand to indicacte a swing then the fist for the strike. There was NO CALL meaning no verbal out call. Josh Paul assumed it was a strike out and didn't make the tag. He must accept some of the blame here.

Umpires are trained to not verbally tip off the defense into making a play. Paul couldn't see the umpires arm motions and he didn't hear anything because nobody said anything. In little league you are taught to tag the runner anytime your glove touches the dirt on a third strike. He forgot his fundamentals and it cost him a baserunner.

Not to mention he didn't try to throw out the pinch runner stealing second. And he called for a 0-2 over the outside corner right in Crede's sweet spot, they had no business putting a 0-2 ball there.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hawkeye said:
There was NO CALL meaning no verbal out call.
<snip>
Umpires are trained to not verbally tip off the defense into making a play.
Interesting. I didn't know that - thanks for the info.