Quantcast

Spacing disk rotors out to match other wheel's caliper possition

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
Here's a silly question:

Has anyone tried or heard anything bad about adding thin (1.5 or 2 mil) stainless steel flat washers between your rotors and disk hub to space the rotor out slightly?... why?, I'd like to swap wheelsets between two bikes, and of all my (Mavic) wheelsets, three line up almost perfectly, and one with Hope hubs requires that I realign both disc calipers when swapping. Not enough adjustment of the shoes within the caliper to compensite. This is a pain. The surface that the rotor contacts on the hub is no larger than the surface of the correct size washer, and the bolts are plenty long enough. Can't move/adjust the axle over in these hubs.

Thoughts?

Dave

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
Originally posted by SebringMGB
id shim out the caliper if it was me. unless you gotta go out far
Maybe I didn't explain the PITA I'm dealing with here well enough: The reason I don't want to realign brake calipers each time I swap out that one wheelset, is that three of my four wheelset's rotors fit in the calipers and line up just fine when I pop the wheels on the bikes, the fourth set's hubs has the rotors set about 2mm more inboard, so as long as I don't use that one wheelset, I never have to loosten any calipers and readjust and retorque calipers each time that I swap wheels. So swapping wheels becomes a PITA with the Hope hub wheelset, and I'd like to eliminate screwing with my calipers at all, anytime.

That was the problem I'm trying to eliminate, not just to line up rotors one time on one bike. If I was gonna keep that wheelset on one bike all the time, then I'd realign the calipers just for that wheelset (like at the moment), then no problem.

So it would be cool to find some 6-bolt disk rotor shims, but I had thought of using 6 washers if I can't.

Cheers,

Dave

I went through this with my late great Julies and it works if you use hardened washers. My LBS tried it with aluminum washers, which deformed and warped the rotor. Magura makes a caliper shim washer kit and those are just fine for spacing out a disk.

The practical problem you get into is when you start stacking them and it becomes a pain in the ass to get six times whatever number of washers you need under each hole lined up and in place. Finickey pain in the ass, it is.

One other consideration - the washers will reduce transmission of braking heat into the body of the hub, which could be either a good or a bad thing.

J

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Those Syntace shims look like a good product.

I went through this back when I ran Magura Louise and Julies brakes, and had to space the rotors out on one wheelset. I just used a single stainless steel washer that was 1mm thick, which was just enough to let the rotor make it into the caliper. But I would experience squeal from those rotors, and the front one would overheat and that rotors turned all dark and blueish.

Now I use Avids so it's no problem to realign the calipers.

RICHORBILL

Chimp
Sep 26, 2003
England
hope do them as well, dont know of any prices but if you ring them up they are usually pretty good, may even get some free if you mention they are for your hope hubs!

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
Originally posted by RICHORBILL
hope do them as well, dont know of any prices but if you ring them up they are usually pretty good, may even get some free if you mention they are for your hope hubs!
Thanks! $3.00 each, I just got mine from Hope, got the 1 mil, fit and work great. They were temporarily out of the 1.5 mil which would be a better fit here, but the 1 mil thick got me going again with those wheels on the bike.

Cheers,

Dave