Quantcast

Spam.....07 Enduro Expert

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Just got to take a short spin on one of these and it feels like a rocket. Just shy of 30 lbs, 6 x 6 travel and available at Bicycle Centers in Everett and Silver Lake. You should see the color in the sun light....sweet. Check um out! I will post more pics later.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I thought that shop looked familiar.

Its where I bought my bighit last year, and pop in once in awhile for small things.

*unfortunatly converted to being a loyal Tims customer, because of experiences with bad mechanics/DH and FR knowledge*

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
wow no noir cranks i thought the would thrown those on. i would ride that i would put a dif. for and shock on that is not riped off from a company that starts w/ F and ends w/ X

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
wow no noir cranks i thought the would thrown those on. i would ride that i would put a dif. for and shock on that is not riped off from a company that starts w/ F and ends w/ X
The fork and shock are not ripped off but supposedly just designed buy the same guy that used to be employed by the other company and is now employed by Specialized. Internally the fork and shock are different enough to be unique in design to Specialized only and not a simple copy of anything else. Swapping staff around between Mfg. companies is allot more common than people realize, almost just like pro sports.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
o really, thanks for clearing that up a guy that use to work at one of those redmond shops cam in to our shop and said it was a almost exact copie of fox

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
*unfortunatly converted to being a loyal Tims customer, because of experiences with bad mechanics/DH and FR knowledge*
you have to go to the silver lake shop, everyone at the everett shop is a roadie or cross country rider. Ask for stephen, I'll take care of you.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Stephen, you work at the Silverlake store? Andy comes into Arnies at least once a week on his bike and we shoot the **** about his bikes and what not. Andy is in fact crazy as hell. Said he's ordering a Foes in the next couple weeks, said he was selling one of his S-Works frames.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Stephen, you work at the Silverlake store? Andy comes into Arnies at least once a week on his bike and we shoot the **** about his bikes and what not. Andy is in fact crazy as hell. Said he's ordering a Foes in the next couple weeks, said he was selling one of his S-Works frames.
Which Foes?

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Shock looks wierd on that bike,
why so much travel on a bike like that? looks like its mostly x/c maybe a little freeride here and there.

Jun 18, 2004
Just got to take a short spin on one of these and it feels like a rocket. Just shy of 30 lbs, 6 x 6 travel and available at Bicycle Centers in Everett and Silver Lake. You should see the color in the sun light....sweet. Check um out! I will post more pics later.

Where can I demo one of these in the dirt? I need a bike lighter than my Intense 6.6 but still fairly burly... does the travel adjust?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
...why so much travel on a bike like that?
See the post directly below yours. The new(er) "trailbike" genre of bikes is heading in that direction.
...looks like its mostly x/c maybe a little freeride here and there.
Definately not "freeride". This is a trailbike pure and simple, and light enough to use for XC. Not a competetive XC racer, but for a guy like me that values comfort over lightness I would race it.
I ride a '06 Enduro that is 150mm X 150mm (or just shy of 6" x 6"). It is my XC/fun bike. I've heard of people "freeriding" them, but i've also heard of stays breaking too.
Not a SST bike for sure. If you were light enough or more importantly smooth enough maybe some for kicks but I wouldn't buy this bike for that intended purpose.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
This bike can take some punishment but not full on DH or endless jumping sessions at SST. What it is is light enough to be fun on EPIC all mountain terrain trips with the ability to hang with more XC oriented rigs on the climbs, this bike will climb very well. What it will also be good for is those commeing Super D races, this thing will be a rocket. That's kinda what I built my FOES FXR up for but if I was looking for a bike off the shelf to compete with custom built Super D bikes I would put this up against any of them hands down! The fork and shock felt very balanced when I road it last week and the compression and rebound adjustments on both work and make a big difference full open to full closed. Added plus on the fork is that the left leg top dial is about a half turn deal that works just like the ETA on my Marz AM1 which allows the climbing of some really steep stuff. The only things I would change if I bought this for myself would be personal preference, Lock-on grips, Stans kit and I would lace a different rear hub in (I don't like shimano hubs much). This is a really nice bike and I felt it was worth putting out there with a new season comming soon this could be one of the best All Mountain Trailbikes in the PNW. One other thing that impressed me about this particular bike besides how light and comfortable it felt was how it looks in the direct sunlight....WOW! Not for XC, not for hucking or Whistler DH runs, but for Super D, Super Adventure and Super Fun. :thumb: :thumb:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Where can I demo one of these in the dirt? I need a bike lighter than my Intense 6.6 but still fairly burly... does the travel adjust?
The travel dosen't adjust with the exception of shortening the fork travel on the fly for climbing. Seriously it should be fine at 6 inches unless you are clmbing real steep stuff. The fork doesn't lock out but just allows you to compress it into a range that better suit what you are attempting to climb. As for a dirt test you would need to work that out with a shop that has one or more. I think these won't be staying in the shops long enough for riders to take them out to test in the dirt. Skookum is not allowed to have one of these by the way. It is the perfect Skookum bike and he would just ride away from everyone, every where! :disgust: You hear me TIM you cannot have one of these bikes, ok.......Tim are you listening?............. do you care?........... Ok :brow:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
you have to go to the silver lake shop, everyone at the everett shop is a roadie or cross country rider. Ask for stephen, I'll take care of you.
Well I live in Everett right by Japanese Gultch. So silver lakes a bit more of a drive.

You guys hiring though? I wouldnt mind a job when I turn 16 :-D

*Since I know Tims wont hire me...there very exculsive for workers."

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
One last (terrible pic) for those interested. While it most definately is not a DH/huck bike check out the ISCG tabs, Specialized put those there for a reason not to mention that head tube. This bike is built to take at least some amount of bashing by design. My source says about as much as last years Enduro......maybe more :shocked: :thumb:

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Looks sharp, but I would still like to have the versatility of my current Enduro. Nice being able to do some light DH and all around trails

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Well I live in Everett right by Japanese Gultch. So silver lakes a bit more of a drive.

You guys hiring though? I wouldnt mind a job when I turn 16 :-D

*Since I know Tims wont hire me...there very exculsive for workers."
we have a full lineup right now and several apps on the waiting list. you should drop by and drop off a resume if you are interested though. We will keep it on file for if we ever have an opening. I am not sure if the everett shop is hiring (but then you'd be working with roadies/xc guys)

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
we have a full lineup right now and several apps on the waiting list. you should drop by and drop off a resume if you are interested though. We will keep it on file for if we ever have an opening. I am not sure if the everett shop is hiring (but then you'd be working with roadies/xc guys)
Refer nice to the other shop please. You make it sound like they don't know anything about big bikes. Kind of makes it sound like you guys can't sell or work on road or xc bikes in the other store because you are more intune with the extreme equipment.....hhhmmmm now we both know that's not completely true. Seriously monkeys both stores can do you a good deal on the equipment in the pics and much more. Pretty good band of mechs/sales peeps and fair prices. What one store doesn't have the other probably does and the same be said about equipment knowledge.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
This bike can take some punishment but not full on DH or endless jumping sessions at SST... [snip] WOW! Not for XC, not for hucking or Whistler DH runs, but for Super D, Super Adventure and Super Fun. :thumb: :thumb:
evilbob, I like you. You know your stuff. :)

A few things I'd like to add (we just got these in at our shop last week too):
1. Front derailleur is mounted to the swing arm for completely smooth shifting even if you you are attempting to shift and bottom out at the same time :twitch:
2. 25mm thru-axle up front for one of the stiffest forks laterally that you'll find
3. With 6x6, this bike would be perfectly appropriate for sport DH courses (I raced a similar 6x6 for 2 years for moving up to expert). This bike is designed for those who like to climb to the top of the hill, while still preferring the exhilaration of bombing down the other side.

I rode the carbon Enduro S-works while at Specialized in Morgan Hill. Exerpt from my trip and ride report:
The Enduro climbed pretty well. It’s difficult to gauge though, mostly because my legs are so completely done after the past two days of chasing down the rest of the class in the group rides. I found out just how stiff the fork is when we split off into groups and my group started screaming down the rocky fire road after Swanson. Although I wasn’t third out of the gate, I was third to the top of the hill (down into the saddle and back up the other side), passing a couple of my classmates on the way. When the others joined us, one of the guys commented on my fork -- that I didn’t release the travel. My eyeballs bulged as my gaze shifted down to discover that my fork was still compressed in the reduced travel setting. This fork is so stiff with the 25mm thru axle, it experienced no lateral vibration that I noticed at all. Pretty slick.

One of the guys in the group, another downhill racer, lobbied hard for some technical terrain we could really test the bikes on. To my great delight, I was included in the small group that split off from the main group, climbing to a more technical trail, to take a few drops and feel how well the bikes carved in the berms. This is where I think the Enduro has a lower center of gravity than my own bike. As I leaned inot the berms, I felt like this bike was an extension of my body. Pretty good for the first time on one...

Hope you don't mind me jumping into your PNW forum :D

-sunny

ridetilludie

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Renton
The fork and shock are not ripped off but supposedly just designed buy the same guy that used to be employed by the other company and is now employed by Specialized. Internally the fork and shock are different enough to be unique in design to Specialized only and not a simple copy of anything else. Swapping staff around between Mfg. companies is allot more common than people realize, almost just like pro sports.
Typical specialized, take somebody's product or idea then claim it as their own.:plthumbsdown: . Bike does look good but that rear shock seems suspect.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Typical specialized, take somebody's product or idea then claim it as their own.:plthumbsdown: . Bike does look good but that rear shock seems suspect.
Umm... not quite. Not very close either.

For many years, Specialized has been going to the shock manufacturers and having custom shocks made for their bikes. As I understand, a few years ago they went to Fox and said they wanted a single-crown, 6"-travel fork with a thru axle that weighed less than 5 lbs. The Fox 36 was the result of that conversation.

On most forks and most all shocks on Specialized bikes, the internals are completely custom to the geometry and experience of the bike.

In the past, they've worked with outside manufacturers to enhance existing designs, or developed entirely new designs, so that the equipment works better with their bikes. Now they have moved to simply doing it all in-house, and Specialized is not limited by outside companies any more in what they can do.

Other manufacturers do this - look at Cannondale and the relationship they've had with Manitou...

This is not someone else's product that they "claim as their own." Specialized is all too familiar with patent and copyright infringement, as their FSR design has been copied time and again. This is Specialized proprietary suspension. If you're not familiar with it and haven't ridden it, how can you possibly disparage it?