Quantcast

SPD Cleat play?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have some older SPD 520s on my spin bike, and when combined with my MTB shoes, I get a clicking sound when I pull up on the upstroke. It seems to be mostly on the right side, and a close inspection revealed that it's due to play between the cleat and pedal, and it would be remedied by increasing the sole depth (ie longer lugs) to brace against the pedal body, shortening the cleat height (impossible), or filling the pedal cage slightly so there's no more play.

Has anybody encountered this before? Are there any remedies I have overlooked? The pedals are older, not sure of use. The cleats are not terribly old, and I honestly don't ride that much to have worn them to the point of needing replacing. The problem doesn't seem to exist on my XT 785 pedals, only these 520s, and it seems to be lessened with a different, larger pair of shoes (with older cleats, I think). I have increased tension, which helped, but now it's very difficult to clip in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
IIRC those are a lower end pedal, did you get them second hand or have they been in your parts been? are you sure the cleats aren't worn? maybe try new(er) cleats on those shoes just to rule it out

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
IIRC those are a lower end pedal, did you get them second hand or have they been in your parts been? are you sure the cleats aren't worn? maybe try new(er) cleats on those shoes just to rule it out
Not sure. I have one set of cleats that are millions of years old, and another that is brand new. I believe I have the new ones on my MTB shoes, which are the ones that are wobbling. The older shoes have the older cleats, and there's less wobble but I can still get it to happen. My guess is that this is due to a deeper lug and not the cleat.

They are used pedals, came from @HAB. They do not look to be in bad shape at all, and clip in and out just fine.

Strip of duct tape across the tops of the pedals?
This is kind of what I'm thinking. Maybe a plastic, credit card like insert underneath the main platform, or some tape where the shoe meets the pedal body. Either that, or some SHIMZ underneath the SPD "Cage" where the cleat pulls up on it. Either that, or honestly tapping it with a hammer to push it down a bit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thanks. I'll try and snap a photo of what I'm talking about at some point. I also need to see if the problem replicates in my trail pedals. If so, it's probably the cleat or shoe. I have been thinking about getting wedges for these shoes, so maybe I just spring for the slanted cleats instead.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i've had the opposite problem before, where the shoe lugs are so tall that the cleat is too recessed and can't engage the pedal and needs to be shimmed out

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I realize you think your cleats are fine, but I'd try some new cleats just to be sure.

Also, the fact that it's mostly on one side indicates that the pedal may be damaged. SPD's are pretty indestructible but I've rendered a few of them useless over the years with hard rock strikes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I realize you think your cleats are fine, but I'd try some new cleats just to be sure.

Also, the fact that it's mostly on one side indicates that the pedal may be damaged. SPD's are pretty indestructible but I've rendered a few of them useless over the years with hard rock strikes.
It seems to continue on both sides of the pedal, which is why I didn't initially suspect the pedal. I'll take a closer look but I'm still puzzled. I can also swap over my MTB pedals and see if that alleviates it, I guess I'm just lazy. I certainly don't want to buy yet another pair of cheap spuds, but I guess I can also use my 636s

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I barely used those pedals, and mostly on a commuter. I'd be surprised if there was anything wrong with them.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Quick question, is this happening on your most powerful leg? The same thing happened to me on the gym's spinning bike, play on the clear/pedal interface, on both sides of the pedal. And it turned out to be a deformed sole/shank on my right shoe, since I ride right foot forward and land pretty heavily on it. I confirmed it after getting some calipers to the sole, after dismounting the cleats to check them. I hadn't noticed it on my MTB since I use SPD compatible pedals with an external cage, which mitigated the play.

Last edited: