Quantcast

spd cleats

Got a question about putting cleats on shoes.....

The cleat in Baboon's shoe came loose last week (making it difficult to get his shoe out of the pedal). I looked at my shoe (under the insole) and I have some tape over the cleat (put on by the shop who put the cleats in). He doesn't have that. Does that keep the screws from coming loose and if so, what type of tape can I use for his shoes?

THANKS!

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
No, that tape doesn't really do anything.

FYI... Be sure to grease the threads of the screw when you put it back in the shoe.

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
Take them out and grease 'em or else you're likely to run into problems when it's time to replace the cleats. You don't need a lot, a little dab will do ya.

There's not a lot you can do for chronically problem screws. If the cleats or old, try replacing them.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by MtnBikerChick
too late.

so how do I make sure they don't get loose again?
Any thing with threads should be greased, this is very improtant. With grease you can get the proper torque on the bolt without the risk of stripping it (strippage?). On SPD bolts, it also helps to grease the tapered surface just above the threads.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Yes, grease the bolts.

Then, check the bolts after a ride or 2. The pressure of the cleat will usually compress some of the mounting material on the shoe and you'll need to tighten.

Now, go get an extra set of mounting screws and drop them in your patch kit. If you lose a screw and are many miles from home, you will be very happy you have them.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Go to an auto parts store and buy a small tub of waterproof lithium grease. Should cost around $1.50 or so. Will last you a very long time and can be used for most of your bike needs.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by riderx
Yes, grease the bolts.

snip

Now, go get an extra set of mounting screws and drop them in your patch kit. If you lose a screw and are many miles from home, you will be very happy you have them.
Good dang Idea thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ok, now here is a major bummer............I DID not Grease the bolts.......so, worst case scenario.................what do you do?

I havn't tried to remove mine yet, but I have a strange feeling that I'm in for some trouble!!!!!

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
Worse case senerio is that you'll strip the bolts next time you go to replace you cleats. If this happens you'll have to drill them out. It's not that big of a deal, but it is a pain in the you know what.

A few opinions on grease... Yes you can buy big tubs of grease for dirt cheap at automotive stores, but I like to buy the grease they sell at the LBS. The reasons are:

A) The tube is usually smaller and a little more managable
B) I like supporting my LBS
C) I like trying lots of different stuff. The big tubes of grease from automotive stores last too long and I end up through most of it out

Hope this helps.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Ok, now here is a major bummer............I DID not Grease the bolts.......so, worst case scenario.................what do you do?
If you strip out your screws take a Drummel tool and make a small cut across the top of the screw, in each direction (making a cross air). This will turn the stripped out screw into a phillips head screw. Then remove the screw with a screwdriver. If this too fails, use an extractor from your local hardware store.

so what kind do you use currently?
Pedros make a great grease. I can't remember exactly what its called, but it rocks. Its available in a variety of sizes from tubes to buckets.

No, that tape doesn't really do anything.
The tape just helps to keep water out of the bottom of the shoe. It doesn't do a very good job of that either. Its pretty much useless.

Does that keep the screws from coming loose
If all else fails, thouroughly clean the cleat and plate with degreaser. Use a small dab of blue loctite. That will hold the screw in place until you want it loose. This might make getting the screw loose again difficult. If so, see above on extracting a stripped screw. Also, make very sure you have the cleat adjusted properly before you crank down on the screw. You might recruit the lbs for this adjustment. It should be free. Take your bike, shoes and feet with you when you go.:D

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
No, you don't want a dry lube. Grease is thick and goopy and will never dry up (well, it will take a verrrrry long time!). If you get your grease from your LBS, use the description I posted above, it's an all purpose type grease which they market for bikes also - Phil Wood is an example of one for bikes.

I like a small grease gun you can load w/ the grease of your choice. www.thethirdhand.com has them (and all kinds of small parts and tools) for under $10 I believe.

In response to Chunk's post:
I like to support the LBS also (if you can find a good one), but I do not like to pay 3-5 times as much for a product just because it has been marketed for bicycles. Here is a list of common products which, if you purchase the "bike" version, you are paying way to much:
-waterproof lithium Grease: see above thread
-shock oil: Get it from a motorcycle shop and get 3x the volume for the same price - Marzocchi recommends moto. oil for their forks
-Degreaser: Pedros Orange Peelz works great until you realize Simple Green or a generic Citrus cleaner does the same thing and costs as much for a gallon as a 16oz bottle of Pedros does.

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by MtnBikerChick
so what kind do you use currently?

I want a dry lube, right?
Actually I think that this is a distinction that no one ever talks about cuz they think its obvious, and so people new to mechanics get left out in the cold.

There are 2 distinct items here:
1. Lube
2. Grease

Lube is a viscous liquid that you use on chains, cables etc.

Grease is the crisco-gooey stuff that you use on bearings, threads, etc......

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
If you can't fix it, duck it.

(Duct tape works well in a pinch to patch tubless tires too.)

I carry a small role with me everywhere I ride.

LoonyOne

Chimp
Aug 19, 2001
Iowa
Grease is good, but a product similar to Zep's 'Groovy', which is an anti-seize, will work many times better on cleats, pedals, etc....stuff taht doesn't usually get taken off much. Anti-seize goop is da shiznit when it comes to removing bolts and screws.

muddywolf

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
somewhere in the desert
Originally posted by Merwin5_10
If you can't fix it, duck it.

(Duck tape works well in a pinch to patch tubless tires too.)

I carry a small role with me everywhere I ride.
duck tape- its kinda like the Force, light on one side, dark on the other, and it holds the universe together.:D

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yep the tape is to keep goop from getting in through the holes in the bottom. Locktite is excellant. Grease is less excellant because over time and many miles in mud and dust and stuff it can get washed away. Even with locktite you might be grinding the head off a rude bolt. Once a cleat starts swimming around on a shoe sole it might not be possible to get it tight by putting new bolts in if the sole is all ground away from a loose cleat. That's pretty rare though. The cleats weren't tight enough in the beginning in all likelyhood.

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
Don't use grease on threads. Use neversieze, AKA antisieze. This stuff is made specifically for threads.
A small tube will last the home mechanic literally years, even if you use it on everything. Mine's at least five years old.