Quantcast

SPD or Road pedals for commuting?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Picking out parts for the spooky commuter build. I am debating SPD two-sided pedals or Look single-sided road pedals. I have two pairs of shoes for each system. All of my road crap has look keo pedals (three different sets), while my MTB and other commuter bike has SPD. Commute will primarily be road shoulder and isn't city riding, but has some stop signs and sidewalk/road navigating. I can get either set for around $25. Thoughts?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
SPD or flats...but I don't ride road bikes, I choose life.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I like narrowish flats on my gravel/road bike. Blackspire sub420 is what I'm running. Striking a pedal on the ground at the bottom of the stroke in a turn is not very fun.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No flats. I like clips too much to run them on my commuter. This whole build is centered around building a bike that's as close to my actual road bike but costs significantly less... My commute is about 12 miles each way so it's an actual ride, and not just a shuffle into town.

I think I'll stick with SPD as I really liked being able to clip in without wrestling with the right side of the pedal, and walking into the office was way less "cloppy" than on true road shoes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No flats. I like clips too much to run them on my commuter. This whole build is centered around building a bike that's as close to my actual road bike but costs significantly less... My commute is about 12 miles each way so it's an actual ride, and not just a shuffle into town.

I think I'll stick with SPD as I really liked being able to clip in without wrestling with the right side of the pedal, and walking into the office was way less "cloppy" than on true road shoes.

I hope you plan on rolling into the office in a white skinsuit and aero helmet

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ended up ordering some "Schweek" MTB SPDs for the road bike commuter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VPWHRYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work OK- mtb spds for commuting are perfect. My MTB shoes still fit and feel great with carbon soles that don't flex, but the tread lets me walk around the office...awkwardly. Biggest problem is the "cages" for the cleat are not angled so clipping in is a bit of a chore. I'm guessing they will wear a bit and self-sand, but I am tempted to take a file and give the face a bit of a slope so it's less clunky to clip in. Otherwise pretty happy, and these ones in particular feature dual bearings rather than bearing/bushing, so they should last a bit longer. They certainly spin well, but meh