Quantcast

SPD skate type shoes

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Anyone using the 661 launch or Shimano MP66 SPD compatiable shoes? I'm interested in them, but wondering if the soles are as soft/flimsy as a regular skate shoe or more like a stiff cycling specific shoe. Does the sole allow your foot to conform around the pedal like a skate shoe on a flat pedal or is it fairly firm? Any positive or negative things to say would be greatly appreciated. I did a search and nothing came up on the Shimano's......very little came up on the 661's, where people only mentioned they were getting them.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I had a pair of the Launchs. The sole is not soft like regular skate shoes, but its no where as stiff as regular cycling shoes. I hadn't worn clipless shoes in about 5 years, so I wanted to give it a try. I tried them for about a month and decided to get rid of them. I traded the Launchs to a friend for some tires.

It really depends on what you want. I found that I really roll my feet on the pedals when cornering (flats) and I found that being clipped in I couldn't do that anymore. Even though I could "float" and pivot my foot (rotate my heel side to side) I couldn't roate my foot to the inside and outside of the pedal. I don't think this had anything to do with the shoe, but was because of pedals and cleats.

But my buddy says he likes them much better because its easier on his feet during big landings.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
hulk...I'll chime in and I guarantee JeremyR will shortly.
The 661 is a GREAT shoe. It's got the soft, comfy lining and sole of a skate shoe and is grippy like one too.

The sole is a perfect middle ground between skate and SPD...it's firm eough to not fold over the pedal and hurt your arches, but not so stiff you deflect off the pedals like XC shoes(I feel like I'm wearing a piece of PVC when I ride in XC shoes.

The strap on top is not for snugging anything down..it's just there as a great leash for your laces and does just that...keeps them from flapping or coming untied.

It's a must have....especially for where you ride(jealousy in my voice):devil:

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Sounds like a good middle ground then. I'm not 100% certain that I wanted a full blown cycling shoe, but I know that I don't want a soft as real skate shoe feel. I used to ride clipless all the time, but went to flats when I started riding more and more bmx back in college. I can now see where clipless would be a bit better in my riding style for dh, just going to have to get used to them again. I'm going to have to give them a try and the skate looking shoe seems like that good middle ground.

I noticed the 661's mounting area is a big off-center, as in closer to the inside of the shoe. Does this feel weird or is it one of those things that just "right"?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Originally posted by Hulkamaniac
Sounds like a good middle ground then. I'm not 100% certain that I wanted a full blown cycling shoe, but I know that I don't want a soft as real skate shoe feel. I used to ride clipless all the time, but went to flats when I started riding more and more bmx back in college. I can now see where clipless would be a bit better in my riding style for dh, just going to have to get used to them again. I'm going to have to give them a try and the skate looking shoe seems like that good middle ground.

I noticed the 661's mounting area is a big off-center, as in closer to the inside of the shoe. Does this feel weird or is it one of those things that just "right"?
It just looks that way....you have to take into consideration that the footbed of a skate type shoe is way wider than an XC type shoe...it doesn't feel weird to me. I run my cleats semi-loose and I run the Shimano DH shoes and a set of Adidas XC shoes and switch between the 3 pretty easily....except that the hard cleated sole of the XC shoes is really tough to just ride out a section of trail on if you're not clipped in...you just bounce around on teh pedal (like wearing a piece of PVC)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, I like 'em because they are real comfortable.
They feel like skate shoes when you are off the bike.
The sole is stiff enough to where I don't feel any flex
while pedaling. Earlier this year, I was DHing in straight up
XC shoes with a cement sole. ;)
I could ride fine with them, but every time I had push up a hill or get off the bike for any reason, they suck.
Another cool thing about the Launch shoes is that if you do come out of the pedal, they grip my Times like I was on flats. I accidently hit up the steeps at Windrock with my foot unclipped and my underpants did not turn brown. How is that for a review.:D

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I have a pair of Launch's. I'm not sure I like them. I've having a hard time breaking them in. I had some AXO filter 2's that were really comfy but I beat them into the ground. So I replaced them with the Launch. They seem narrower. After a few hours my "sixth toe" (ski boot fitting lingo) starts to hurt. They seem too narrow for my feet.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by MMike
I have a pair of Launch's. I'm not sure I like them. I've having a hard time breaking them in. I had some AXO filter 2's that were really comfy but I beat them into the ground. So I replaced them with the Launch. They seem narrower. After a few hours my "sixth toe" (ski boot fitting lingo) starts to hurt. They seem too narrow for my feet.
Now that you mention it, I had a similar problem with my Van's. I had to get them soaking wet and ride in them like 5 times to stretch that area.

Do you have Lange feet?
(very wide forefoot and very narrow heel)

If so, you may want to try on a pair of Hematoma's. I have Lange feet and they fit me really well.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I am in the same boat. looking at the MP66 or Hematoma's.

Anyone know an online store that carries Hematoma's? I like my old Answers but when its wet they are like ice on the pedals until clipped in.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Yeah, I was really into the Hematoma's earlier, but Go-Ride is sold out of my size. They have ordered more, but they aren't sure when the will come in. Definitely email them though, they may have the size you need.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I have the original Shimano BMX shoe (tan, laces, 1 velcro strap) and the things are ideal for use w/ platform spd style pedals. They are too stiff to use with regular flats, but much flexier than any other non-beginner clipless shoe I have used. The smooth sole makes clipping in/out MUCH easier since there are no lugs to get caught. The flexier sole means that your weight is supperted my the cage, not just the clipless part. Because so much of my weight is on the cage, I run the release tension almost all the way loose. Clipping out in emergency situations is never a problem, and there is enough traction between the cage and shoe that I rarelt clip out accidently. I give the BMX shoe/cage SPD combo an A+.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Originally posted by Supa8
I am in the same boat. looking at the MP66 or Hematoma's.

Anyone know an online store that carries Hematoma's? I like my old Answers but when its wet they are like ice on the pedals until clipped in.
http://www.stripe3.com/ and tell him Bizutch from Ridemonkey refered you...he'll sell them to you for 79.99 (hematomas):thumb:

his name is Frank 800-345-7951
email customer_relations@stripe3.com