Quantcast

'SPD' type pedal for DH, but wich one ?

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Untill now I've only used flat pedals for DH/DS, but I when I crash, it's mostly because my foot slips of the pedal.
So I decided to give 'spd' type pedals a try.
But I don't know much about this type of pedals.
What I want is :
- really easy and fast to get in & out.
- have to 'work' in mud

This is what most people around here use (and is available) :
- Time Z
- Time Z control
- Shimano - PD-M646
- Shimano - PD-M647
- Crank Brothers - Mallet C

any advice is welcome.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i have never used a spd pedal that works in mud, some work better than others but not even the supposedly best in mud, the 959 upon which the 647 seems based, is actually good in mud

i havent used any of the others so i cant say much about that but im positive shimano would not be my pick if mud performance was important.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I've had good luck with the mallets, but I mainly like them because they're the best combo pedal (that I'm familiar with) which can be used as just a flat pedal...That said, they're still not nearly as good as a dedicated platform pedal. But, I've never had problems getting in them - even in severe muddy conditions...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by SpaZwEll
I use the time z's w/ no problems. :)

enough of a platform when you need to clip out.

excellent in mud!!! :D
only they break about as easily as good scottish shortbread. Saw someone smash through a brane new pair in 1 run this weekend. This isnt the first time i have seen them explode (body cracks)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Previous to this year i had used shimano SPD, but primarly ridden Flats for DH/FR. This season our team picked up Crank Bros as a sponsor so i tried the Mallets. I can honestly say (not just because they sponsor us) that the pedals work very well, and i feel much more comfortable on them than the shimano. The shimanos felt like you were attached way above the platform. With the crank bros i feel like im riding a flat pedal. My feet dont knock around like they used to. Clipping in and out is effortless, and i feel i dont accidently pop out like SPD's. some people dont like the fact that CB's dont have any adjustment, but it doesnt bother me one bit. Also ive never unclipped as a result of hitting the pedal on rocks. Some think hitting the spring will open the grip on the other side. I think it would be pretty hard to get a direct enough hit on just the spring to do that. Mud shedding is very good with the mallets compared to the older style SPD's ive had. Ive not been on the newest versions of SPD so if there have been major improvments then some of my experience is related to just the old ones..... Also....I have yet to ride Times so i cant add anything there.

Basically, mallets = good

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I quit using Crank Brothers cause under just the right circumstances, I'd get stuck in them. Also, your foot gets kicked out of them when they hit rocks...this became a major headache for me.

I just bought a pair of Time Zs a couple months ago. I remember loving them for XC, but I don't have the same affinity when it comes to DH. They're great cause they're the most solid pedals getting in and out, but that's also they're weakness. It requires a bit of push to get into them, and they require a level of accuracy that I'm not comfortable with when I'm bombing downhill at speed. So, I just traded them for a Thomson seatpost.

I'm now back to the Shimano 646 and I love them. I've never been a fan of SPD pedals, but after trying the competition, I think they're perfect for DH. They're adjustable, you can put your foot anywhere on the pedal and clip in and they've got a lot of float.

Dos Pesos

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
Originally posted by Transcend
only they break about as easily as good scottish shortbread. Saw someone smash through a brane new pair in 1 run this weekend. This isnt the first time i have seen them explode (body cracks)
True, had a friend who tagged a rock on a run and took one of the outside corners off... :(

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
I have a pair of Mallets and love them. I do have an issue when hitting stuff hard of coming out of the pedal. None the less, I should be a better rider and be smooth. :D

I have heard good things about the Time's as well. If i were to try any other pedal, it would be the Time. I would never run Shimano again.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
646 is my pick. I have used them on every bike I have owned for the last 4 years. They work good in mud, adjustable, and clip in and out very well. I use mine on FR stunts even.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Kanter
646 is my pick. I have used them on every bike I have owned for the last 4 years. They work good in mud, adjustable, and clip in and out very well. I use mine on FR stunts even.
The 646 is too wide in my opinion. The new shimano pedal (647) has a 959 cleat/engagement system,and a heavy duty, impact resistant plastic exterior. Probably their best pedal yet.

The last 2 years i have used the smaller DH pedal with the metal cage (545) for extra clearance, only to bend the cage every 10 mins.

My only gripe with ALL shimano pedals, is that they are utter crap in mud. engagament/release is absolutely unpredictable when the weather turns to sh.it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
When I ride in mud, which is often, I just give the old foot a slam on the pedals a few times before I clip in and the mud cleans enough to clip in. I have had a few problems with the mud but not many.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I can't complain about 646's I ran the same pair for 3 years. My only compalint would be when they pack with mud. But I've beaten the holy hell out of them. They are dead now. But I don't think they owe me anything. I got them in early 2001 and I retired them last labout day weekend. So I'm down to one pair of pedals that I'm switching between my Heckler and my Yeti. and those are 545's. (which I initialy bought for the heckler).

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The Mallet's seem to be just about the best pedal out there at the moment. Work as well as Times in Mud, have a rotating pedal design ala Shimano, and have a durable enough body.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm a 424 fan. Cheap, plastic cage won't break as easy. As for mud, I reccommend moving to a drier climate;) Spray pam on the cleats before each ride and don't dab, so they stay clean:D

The 647 looks like it'll have better mud performance with the 959 guts.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dont expect the world from the "959" guts

ive been riding 959`s for over a year on my trailbike and while they are better than other shimanos, they are not what i would call a good mud pedal, it still packs up, you still have to pick mud out from the pedals and the cleat at times, its sheds mud a bit better thats all.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I really like the Time Z's.
They are holding up better than any set of 545's that I had.
I measured them and they are even a little bit more narrow
than the 545's (not the pedal boby but including the axle length and how far they actually stick out off the cranks.
This is important to me because like the great Maigi said,
"The best block is no be there!"

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I am a diehard SPD advocate so take my advice with some salt. I have been riding TIME pedals forever on xc bikes and love the feeling and mud performance. (PNW=muddy) When the Zs cam out, I bought a pair right away and I love them. They have lots of scratchs on them from tagging rocks and no problems with breaking. I also never come out accidently like I did with my shimanos. Some people like the positve feeling of TIMEs and some people think the retention is to strong. (you can adjust float but not spring tension). I have tryed the Mallets and they feel good too, especially if you unclip for corners and need to get right back on. The Mallets feel better than the times if you aren't clipped in. I never unclip intentionally and all my shoes had TIME cleats so I stuck with my TIMEs. The Mallets probably would be more durable as they have steel plates on them and they come with an extra set.

(disclaimer: Crank brothers sponsors my team)

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
Thanks for all the reply's

It looks that shimano and mud is a no go.
The mud thing is very important and I can't just move to a dryer climate :) I can buy used 646's and try them in the summer,
but I don't like to switch pedals with a different feeling after a few months and back. Or I could use my flats when it rains.
Nah .
Time-Z euhm...what Transcend said : "they break about as easily as good scottish shortbread..." Well I trust him and the rest of you :monkey:'s . I hit rocks like a champ and ride like a chimp.

The Mallet's seems perfect, the feeling is a "little like" on a flat pedal even when unclipped, clipping in and out seems effortless, good in severe muddy conditions, have a durable enough body (steel plates )....... Well that sounds like the best pedal for me.

...Unless some one comes up with a horror story :)

thx