Quantcast

SPDs: Hiking boot style or more racey shoe

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
On my new bike I will be reverting to SPD pedals. I will use this bike mostly for trail rides and XC. Last pair of SPD compatible shoes I had were the Axo Vipers, a very race oriented shoe. What do you guys find works best for trail riding and cross country? Would I be better off with a narrow, very stiff soled more racey style shoe, or one of the shoes that is styled more like a hiking boot? Or perhaps a skate style shoe?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Polandspring88 said:
On my new bike I will be reverting to SPD pedals. I will use this bike mostly for trail rides and XC. Last pair of SPD compatible shoes I had were the Axo Vipers, a very race oriented shoe. What do you guys find works best for trail riding and cross country? Would I be better off with a narrow, very stiff soled more racey style shoe, or one of the shoes that is styled more like a hiking boot?

Around here you want a stiff shoe with cleats, like a shimano 180 or 225, for off road. The places you ahve to walk are loose and rocky. Shimano also make a Tr-92 shoe that's a "sport touring" shoe looks like black uppers, on a rubber sole with a recessed cleat. I'm getting that doe commuting on the road bike.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Depends on how much hike-a-biking you plan on doing in them. I've got Diadora Geckos - cheap, but a good shoe for me. Comfy, fairly stiff, good walkers. If you don't plan on walking much, get the stiffest sole you can find. If you do plan on walking, look for something slightly more flexible with good tread/cleats.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I Personally like the racer shoes better, they are lighter, stiffer and you can still do some walking in them. If your in an area where your spending a lot of time walking you may want to consider the Hiking boot style. Plus the racers are usually easier to put on and off if you like the ones with the 3 velcros. best bet?? try a few on and see whats comfortable

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Like others have said it depends on how much walking you plan on doing. Also, if you have a pedal with much of a platform on it then you would be alright getting something more of a hiking boot style but if there isn't any platform or a very small one besides the clipin points you might want to get more racer style ones for stiffness. I personally use PearlIzumi something or anothers that are more hiking boots, and have them with my CrankBros MalletCs (Dh and XC) and it seems stiff enough yet flexy enough that it works fine for me. :)

J

JRB

If you want something that is kind of hikey, but has a fairly stiff sole, the Cannondale C800 or c500, or whatever is pretty good.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Get a race style shoe. I've never been impressed much by any hiking type shoe I've seen or worn. If you get a quality race show with a good sole, it can walk pretty well. I have a few pairs of spd shoes and the ones with the best soles are my Nike Ligures. They are really stiff (carbon) but have a nice rubber sole. Only issue is that after about 2yrs of use they are wearing more than my other shoes have. You might have to shop around to find something good. Most high end shoes have really hard soles that are bad for walking anywhere. Example: Sidi Dom's.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
My preference is a good racey leather shoe with velcro over laces. Needs to have cleats and good traction (rubber not plastic). I like a stiff sole from the ball of the foot back but flexy in the toes. I'm still riding some old butt-ugly orange TIME shoes (circa 2000). I just cant seem to wear them out.

Nathan Cloud

Chimp
Jun 27, 2005
Burlington, CT
loco said:
If you want something that is kind of hikey, but has a fairly stiff sole, the Cannondale C800 or c500, or whatever is pretty good.
Being a fellow Northeasterner (Connecticut), the combination of my poor physical fitness, lack of balance, and the overall terrain around here often prevents me from riding everything - so I prefer something along the lines of hike-a-bike shoes.

I rode cannondales for a while and this year I switched over to a pair of specialized taho's - which are falling apart quite nicely :mad:. The Cannondales i had managed to survive a season and were comfy. I can mostly recommend them.

I am planning to pick up a pair myself - Sierra Trading Post has the C900s for $60
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.65610/dept_id.L1~4287/qx/product.htm

And the C610's for $50
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.65607/dept_id./qx/product.htm

Not too shabby.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I had a pair of specialized shoes from like 5 or 6 years back, and those f'in things held up like none other. Rode them hard for at least 4 years and they were still in awesome condition, I guess things have changed since then.

Being on a budget I ended up getting these.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SH602B01-Sixsixone+Attack+Shoe+05.aspx

I had a great experience with Axo/SixSixOne products before, so I will give them another shot and see how things go.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Polandspring88 said:
I had a pair of specialized shoes from like 5 or 6 years back, and those f'in things held up like none other. Rode them hard for at least 4 years and they were still in awesome condition, I guess things have changed since then.

I had a great experience with Axo/SixSixOne products before, so I will give them another shot and see how things go.

I have a pair of AXO's that have lasted several years, and a pair of (cheap) 661's that fell apart on the first ride.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Polandspring88 said:

I have a pair of those, They seem to hold up well, and I hike a bike alot

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Polandspring88 said:
Wonderful. Guess I just gotta hope I bought a semi-decent pair.

It was a design/manufacturing flaw in the old 661's. They had this strap loop you had the thread the shoe strings through on top. The ones you bought won't have that problem. I wouldn't worry.