Quantcast

Speaking of street cruisers...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Does anybody make a decent aftermarket 5" rise bar? I'd love to have something that is a little wider than what is on my current cruiser that isn't race oriented, i.e. I don't think that Al or carbon will cut it.:lighten:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
S&M.

XLT Race is awesome. 27.5" width, 5" or 5.75" rise. Still heavier than anything we'd expect in the "mtb" side of things... but not bad considering what you're getting, + the crossbar.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
i prefer taller bars on a 24" bmx cruiser -- at least as far as a freestyle/flatland setup goes.

7.25" Standard Lil Deuce bars with inverted KINK stem.
That's not a bad idea actually, I'm pretty tall. It would probably take a bit of strain off my back.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Seems like a lot of people think the cruiser bars are too short. I am waiting for Mosh Pro Cruiser bars for my 24. They are 6.5" tall, stock is 5".

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Seems like a lot of people think the cruiser bars are too short. I am waiting for Mosh Pro Cruiser bars for my 24. They are 6.5" tall, stock is 5".
How tall are you? I have Gen Lee as well (with the stock bars). I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on your new bars. When are you getting them?

JD

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
How tall are you? I have Gen Lee as well (with the stock bars). I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on your new bars. When are you getting them?

JD
I am 5'8". I like the Lee, but the bars are so low that my weight is too far forward. I have to put more air in my front tire than the rear.

I should be riding it within a week. Have bars, stem and grips coming.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I am 5'8". I like the Lee, but the bars are so low that my weight is too far forward. I have to put more air in my front tire than the rear.

I should be riding it within a week. Have bars, stem and grips coming.

Dang, I'm about 6-4. I must look like a knuckle draggin' neanderthal when I'm riding. I really should get some taller bars. Where did you order yours?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Dang, I'm about 6-4. I must look like a knuckle draggin' neanderthal when I'm riding. I really should get some taller bars. Where did you order yours?
I must look like an elf. LOL

Search for Mosh Pro Cruiser on ebay. They still had 3 sets left last I looked. $40 shipped. PM me if you can't find, I'll send you the seller ID.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
That was the most legit flatland run i have even seen on a big wheel bike .. Props
thanks man.

just pullin stuff from my Standard Shaman days.... and just got a Federal freecoaster from flatlandfuel.com ! psyched.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
He's on vacation in Mexico, but here's a pic. And for the record, he was doing a nothing... just didn't have his hands off for long...

Haha! Good save, man... Unfortunately it's a mandatory learning step, but does anything look dumber than a no footer? And you can see his hands just gettin back to the grips anyway...
Looks like the cruiser's treatin him OK.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
thanks man.

just pullin stuff from my Standard Shaman days.... and just got a Federal freecoaster from flatlandfuel.com ! psyched.
What'd the freecoaster cost ya? Also, I stated in the OTHER thread on street cruisers that I used to do flatland back in the day...I should change that: I did freestyle. I couldn't flow like that, man, and I don't even want to PRETEND I was ever that smooth! I was more the hoppity-hop type stuff...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
That guy is...scary! Yikes! Tubing looked kinda smallish on that cruiser...but if it's just a dirt rig, should be kew...
Atleats we can all see that there's DEF a demand out there for sicker, dialed cruisers. I just don't get it though...These are obviously all being seigned for riding, be it street or dirt, not racing anymore. Why the ****ty geo? Especially from knowing BMX companies? Very strange. Dirt and street=short and steep. Why is that so hard?

i rock the S&M divebar on my cruiser. it's a 7" rise but i'm sure it's nowhere near wide enough for the OP. that being said, i absolutely love big bars on my cruiser, it makes it feel like a grown mans 20"...

FWIW- the picture of my bike above is with the stock 5" shadow cruiser bar. also, that is the front end of my nothing, i can tell because by the time my hands are out off the bar, my feet are almost together and behind the bike. i am just letting go right there and in the process of swinging my feet backward. but that is no excuse for being caught in such a ridiculous pose...:busted:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I don't think so, but bars are totally personal preference, so it's hard to say. If they're too tall you can flip your stem over and drop them lower.

Fly Racing Joey Bradford handlebar features chromoly construction, and has little back or up sweep, to helps with the pull out of the gate.

i personally like a bmx bar that has a good 8-12 degrees backsweep. i don't know what they mean by "little" backsweep. upsweep is good too. check out the list of handlebars and sizes at empirebmx.com .

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, I sent James at Liquor bikes a linky to this thread, hopin he'd join us here. I'd like to hear his plans for their cruisers. He said it's not a def thing yet, but they've been tinkering with the idea, So I of course fed is brain with the idea of a true street cruiser. Light and tight, short and steep...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
i personally like a bmx bar that has a good 8-12 degrees backsweep. i don't know what they mean by "little" backsweep. upsweep is good too. check out the list of handlebars and sizes at empirebmx.com .
Fly's website says they have 7° backsweep and 2° upsweep so that's not too shy of your mark. My current MTB bars have 8° and 5° which I'm fine with. I have no idea what the stock bars on my cruiser have.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
mine is slammed at 15.25"...

it rides pretty different than a 26" setup, the leverage points are nowhere near the same. it feels just like a larger 20"....
how does it spin on flat compared to a 26"? do you think it would make a capable street ride? since you seem to like it so much it gets me interested. :busted:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
how does it spin on flat compared to a 26"? do you think it would make a capable street ride? since you seem to like it so much it gets me interested. :busted:

for how inexpensive the General Lee 24's are you might as well get one and check it out for a while. mine's a 2005 i think. it is heavy, but has a good solid feel. front and rear 14mm axles. the cranks are three piece but are the heavy ass square head/thread-on spindle type, not the spline version (like DK puts on the Xenia) like everyone is used to with Profiles. the back end definitely feels long compared to a 20", but you get use to it real fast, especially when you run taller bars, which helps with the leverage and angles. even though it's "harder" to pull up than a 20", i think you can lock into manuals just fine (maybe even better). you have something to pull against rather than just immediately looping out.

the only weird thing i noticed as far as street/skatepark riding a General Lee 24" is that if you do a 50-50 grind on coping, your bottom bracket will come VERY close to grinding as well, and one of the crank bolts does hit the coping. this is because with the geometry of a 24, the axles and bb are almost on the same horizontal line. 12", 12", 12". but with 20" bikes, axles are at 10" off the ground while the bb is at 12".

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
for how inexpensive the General Lee 24's are you might as well get one and check it out for a while. mine's a 2005 i think. it is heavy, but has a good solid feel. front and rear 14mm axles. the cranks are three piece but are the heavy ass square head/thread-on spindle type, not the spline version (like DK puts on the Xenia) like everyone is used to with Profiles. the back end definitely feels long compared to a 20", but you get use to it real fast, especially when you run taller bars, which helps with the leverage and angles. even though it's "harder" to pull up than a 20", i think you can lock into manuals just fine (maybe even better). you have something to pull against rather than just immediately looping out.

the only weird thing i noticed as far as street/skatepark riding a General Lee 24" is that if you do a 50-50 grind on coping, your bottom bracket will come VERY close to grinding as well, and one of the crank bolts does hit the coping. this is because with the geometry of a 24, the axles and bb are almost on the same horizontal line. 12", 12", 12". but with 20" bikes, axles are at 10" off the ground while the bb is at 12".
the general lee would be worth a shot if it was longer, but since it only has a 21"TT it wouldn't be any roomier then my 20". last night i was just giving the haro x24's a look. 21.7"TT which is good, but not sure how long the stays are since their measurements were all messed up. bottom line is that i'd like something right in between my 26" and 20" that is solid enough to upgrade the parts on..unfortunately i don't know if anything of the sort exists at this point. just considering the options..

oh, forgot. the one bike that i think could work is the WTP 24..the 08 looks oh so sick and has 15.25" stays..not real short but i think it'd work. there's actually an 07 model at a shop somewhat close to me unless it's been sold. mite have to check it out sometime.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the general lee would be worth a shot if it was longer, but since it only has a 21"TT it wouldn't be any roomier then my 20".
You're right that the GL could be longer in the front, but I did measure mine at 21.5"tt, center of seat tube to center of head tube.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
mine is slammed at 15.25"...

it rides pretty different than a 26" setup, the leverage points are nowhere near the same. it feels just like a larger 20"....

Dude...I haven't so much as SAT on a 20" since 1988. Swear. And they were a LOT different then.
And I was just thinking about something... I can't imagine how I got anything doneback then. Do you know what the CS was on a Skyway Street Beat??? Check it(mines the pink one on the right!):