Quantcast

Speaking of "wow"...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I decided to stop by Collonade Park on my way to work the other day and I experienced what can only be described as "shock and awe" when I ventured towards the south end of the park. To say they're doing a good job down there would be a huge understatement.
:thumb:

It's not quite finished, but that section is definitely off to a great start!:cool:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Um... wow! thanks for sharing that! I'll have to head over there sometime soon and reap the benefits of other people's work :thumb: (I'll try to get some hours in this summer, I swear).

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
holy cow! are those dirt jumps? with what look like somewhat real lips, not rollers!!!??? amazing.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Those are the DJ's and everyone will be allowed on them (they are built by a couple BMX'ers. The pump track will be seperate and is basically where the camera man is standing.

Fromet

Monkey
May 26, 2006
Seattle
I have very little faith in the Colonnade Park as it is built with dirt comparable to the moon, very dusty and dry. It is going to be extremely difficult to keep dirt jumps from simply crumbling apart and blowing away. This is due to its gigantic roof called the I-5 directly over it. I don’t believe this small plot of land has seen precipitation in over 40 years.
Unless the builders go to some great lengths and generate creative new ways to build dirt jumps (concrete) this park will not stand up to any wear and tear.

Neal

Chimp
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
I have little faith in little faith. Know what I mean?

It's going to be a monster throw down with TONS of one handers and bar spins and head injuries.

Collonade also has a nice dog park. My dog did a one hander there too. It was a massive throw down.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Fromet said:
I have very little faith in the Colonnade Park as it is built with dirt comparable to the moon, very dusty and dry. It is going to be extremely difficult to keep dirt jumps from simply crumbling apart and blowing away. This is due to its gigantic roof called the I-5 directly over it. I don’t believe this small plot of land has seen precipitation in over 40 years.
Unless the builders go to some great lengths and generate creative new ways to build dirt jumps (concrete) this park will not stand up to any wear and tear.
I hate to be negative but i agree with you.. I built the first kicker into the first hippy thing. (well the start of it) and the dirt is just ****. I went back a day later, tried riding it, crashed from sinking into sand both times. Helped build part of the next section on my way home and kinda gave up. I have no skills in sand and don't see myself jumping in sand onto sand in the near future. If they can get some watering system there the dirt gets good, (hence why they started under the gap of the freeway but even thats not enough) Its a shame. Without dirt the sand jumps will not last.

Although I cant wait to see the pump track. I guess FluidRide is getting it put in sometime soon thanks to some dozer time someone donated. Can't wait!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
maybe wood lips? box jump rythem section... dunno. but yes, the only liquid that dirt has seen in years is bum pee.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
well sh*t sh*t you guys. why had no one thought of that earlier? the very first press releases for this place talked of dirt jumps.

us northwesters are normally all about the scientific approach to life.

derrr drit no gooodd derrrr

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Fast&Smooth said:
well sh*t sh*t you guys. why had no one thought of that earlier? the very first press releases for this place talked of dirt jumps.

us northwesters are normally all about the scientific approach to life.

derrr drit no gooodd derrrr
Word around the campfire is that if Collanade is mostly a success, the city is looking to give away more land around the freeway to bikers. Areas like "The Jungle", places with perhaps more needles and bum piss, but with better soil and better gravity....

There are alot of cool things on the horizon, just takes time.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Skookum said:
Word around the campfire is that if Collanade is mostly a success, the city is looking to give away more land around the freeway to bikers. Areas like "The Jungle", places with perhaps more needles and bum piss, but with better soil and better gravity....

There are alot of cool things on the horizon, just takes time.
Yes and thats awsome. I hope noone takes what I was saying earlier as a negative to the park or project. I really want it to work and I think that it is. I hear from people in my neighborhood (live close to the park) about how nice it is to have the dog park and think its a great use of space for bikes. People really like it and its going to be great. Time will tell what aspect of the park really comes to be the major attraction so to speak XC, Trials, Pump track, or Dirt jumps.

And I don't think that any work on jumps even if crappy dirt is bad, its just progress. Either the dirt will end up working or someone will bring in a few truckloads of better dirt to go over the surface once the foundation is laid?? Maybe the right person will be made aware of the difficulty and have a solution (hose/water/dirt)

Or maybe I need to get better at riding sandy jumps.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Ya that dirt is no good. Watering it might help, I think lots of ladders would be the way to go in that area. I have seen cement lips before too. It will be cool, just gonna take some time. Bret you should go to a after work session and talk those guys about some of your ideas to make the colanade better, you live a block away. A system of ladders and skinnys would be great to practice on.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Be patient guys, there are cool things in the works. Everything id done by volunter work (after work, days off) so it takes some time. However the pump track area has been graded and something should start coming out of the ground in the next few weeks.

silversurfer

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
wet hole
Look at the top of this picture. :rolleyes: The problem may end up being the opposite of what you think. The jumps are right under a seperation between two sections of freeway. They will see LOTS of water. In fact, I went and looked at them on sunday, and one of the lips was suffering from the rain, and the bottoms were puddles, (though a little drainage could fix the puddles without messing the run).

I'd say get someone to donate a pallet of clay cat litter as a soil additive, strips of carpet to protect the lips (looks ghetto, but works), buy some water from the fire dept (how pools get filled) to set them up while working. Also, old abandoned fridges and and other large appliances make great fill inside the jump. Structure added, plus less dirt.

brian

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
silversurfer said:
Look at the top of this picture. :rolleyes: The problem may end up being the opposite of what you think. The jumps are right under a seperation between two sections of freeway. They will see LOTS of water.
Thats nicknamed the "RAINLINE" and this is where the sand problem I am talking about has happened.

On a positive note... I am working at a jobsite not on capitol hill restoring an old building and building a new building. They were pulling out truckloads of REALLY nice wet clay/dirt and other stuff that would be AMAZING to build jumps with. Talked with the site boss and he said yah I should get in contact with the dirt contractor about having them dump some at the site. Main problem is worrying that the contractor will get in trouble for dumping the dirt.

SOOOOO..... Who do I contact to get the OK to have dirt that is awsome dumped at a location? Someone from BBTC? I am in the construction industry and its BOOMING this summer. Lots of fill dirt that is quality stuff being pulled out of lots of job sites. IM sure a contractor would love to save money and only drive a few miles to dump the load from downtown/cap hill area.

WHO DO I TALK TOOO???

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
...has anyone actually tried to jump these as they look almost ready to be ridden. i even see tire marks in andy's post.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
WHO DO I TALK TOOO???[/QUOTE]

Contact either Justin, RM("Juice") or Jon, RM("BBTCJON") at the BBTC and they'll be able to help you.
Bottom of the front page. www.bbtc.org