Quantcast

Spec. Stumpy 120?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm in the market for a new trail bike, my 37 pound freeride tank is overkill. I have a potential buyer so its time to start hunting around. I like the general lines and am a big fan of FSR suspension.

I live in extremely rocky and steep terrain, but the climbs are big too and I don't want a tank. I need a light bike with good travel and a somewhat slack head angle.

The head angle in 5" mode is 69deg for a SJ FSR 120. Which is a little quick maybe? The weight should be sub 30 which is ideal.

My other option is a Spec. Enduro 150mm. I'm concerned this would be too heavy (a mistake I've made too many times), and it is a good deal more expensive.

Anyone have some quality saddle time on the SJ 120? Likes, dislikes? Any feedback on the Enduro would help too. Include a terrain desc. too please ;)

I have access to Giant as well, but don't care for their offerings. Don't bother suggesting Santa Cruz, Trek, anything else. My shop doesn't carry it and will cost too much

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i did a ride today on my dads stumpy 120 expert and it was pretty good. not only am i new to the whole full squish thing, i also prefer hardtails for everything but downhilling so i guess im somewhat biased. the bike felt really fast and climbed like a goat. but i quickly found out that i am more suited to a medium frame and not a large. the only dislikes i have about it are that for full leg extension i felt really high up above the bike and yet the bb was very low to the ground and i kept smacking my pedals on everything. the terrain was the typical slow but technical new england singletrack with lots of up and downs and rocks and roots. if you are looking for a full sus trail bike then i would definately suggest this one. and if you will ride really steep terrain you may want to change out the stem for a shorter one and replace the tires as they do not grip anything but hardpack too well.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Rode a friends enduro a few times, bike is amazing and if you work at a shop its a crazy deal. You might want the new '06 with 6in of travel, but for what we were riding I think think bike might have been perfect.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The new Enudos are sweet for DH-oriented stuff when they don't have much platform, but when you start adding platform to the shock for climbing the bike feels funny and sits too high. I rode one in Mammoth for a week, and it was good for lift-accessed riding, but I wouldn't want to ride uphill on it. I think you'd find yourself riding your M1 over the Enduro because they're too similar. The old ones are no where near as good as the new ones, either. I would get the Stumpy. Lots of people in Ojai have 'em and love them. They can be built light or beefy depending on what you want to do. Another option is a HT. They can be light and strong at the same time, and they're really reliable. I love my SJ HT.

Huph

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Out on the trail
I've had my SJ 120 Expert for 6 months now and am lovin' it lots.

I don't go big on the downs, so it is built plenty strong enough for me. I'm not sure how it would handle the treatment you might be used to handing out to a 37lb FR bike.

I'm not convinced the septune shock is a keeper. The triad / RP3 would seem to me to offer more useful on the fly adjustment.

I am noticing play developing in the OEM Talas fork and have started a dialogue with my LBS about. Hopefully this will not become my problem. That aside I really rate the Talas.

:thumb:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Fox forks do tend to have a little play. My float 80 has it and the 36 I was riding on the Enduro in mammoth developed it. I didn't notice it while riding, so it wasn't a problem. It also keeps the fork stiction-free.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Good feedback guys. I'm really liking the SJ 120 from the sounds of things. I'm aware of Fox forks having a little play when sitting static on the ground, not too worried about that.

Mark, a HT is not a good option for me in Santa Barbara, its way too rocky. I know it works out well in Ojai, but its a little different here, and I'm old! ;)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It sounds like the SJ 120 is the way to go. Have you looked at any other brands, though? It's always good to try other options.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
It sounds like the SJ 120 is the way to go. Have you looked at any other brands, though? It's always good to try other options.
You know the deal. My choices are limited to Spec. Giant and Trek at the shop I work at on the weekends. The Reign is too much and the Trance ain't enough, so Giant isn't working out. Trek? No way in hell I'll give them a dime, I hate that company with a passion.

I wish we were a Santa Cruz dealer, because a Nomad would be very sweet. :love:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I didn't even know you worked at a shop on the weekends. Well, it sounds like the SJ is the way to go!

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Have you looked at the Prophet from Cannondale?
The '06 Stumpy with the brain fade is one of the most amazing if not perfect trail bikes I have ever ridden. The prophet excels at desending and is a good climber what I call a 60/40 bike. The stumpy is a balanced 50/50 bike. Like the new RUSH. Check em out and if you want the dale but can't get it...no prob. I'll hook it up. H

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Heath Sherratt said:
Have you looked at the Prophet from Cannondale?
The '06 Stumpy with the brain fade is one of the most amazing if not perfect trail bikes I have ever ridden. The prophet excels at desending and is a good climber what I call a 60/40 bike. The stumpy is a balanced 50/50 bike. Like the new RUSH. Check em out and if you want the dale but can't get it...no prob. I'll hook it up. H
I have not gotten to check out a Prophet in the flesh and my shop doesn't not carry Cannondale. As a matter of fact, no one in the area does. Cannondale has gotten a lot better and I'd consider them, but I have several hundred dollars in shop credit thats steering my purchase towards what they carry :D I wasn't looking at the model with brain fade due to the signifigant price increase and I haven't been a fan of Brain shocks in the past. What was so appealing about the Stumpy you tried?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just noticed this thread. I'm here now and I know everything so listen up.

The stumpy 120 is a really really good bike. If I were to get a new xc bike, it's probably what I'd end up with. It's really similar to my 03 enduro but about 2 lbs lighter. It's not quite as stiff in the front triangle as my enduro but it's certainly no noodle. I'm not down with the brain shock, I've never ridden one I liked so the stumpy fsr Expert would be what I would go for.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get in touch with specialized and see if you could get ahold of an older 130mm enduro frame. If not, go into the world of the stumpy120 without hesitation. It's nimble, really really light and has the angles us dh people like in an xc bike. LOW.

Edit: The only thing I would change on the expert would be the wheel setup. Specialized has a bad habit of putting litte pinner spokes on their wheels. You can fix this by switching out the 1.8 spokes for some 2.0 or 2.0/1.8 butted spokes. Some folks up here did this and it makes a difference. I just got some crossmax's for mine but that's just because I'm a glutton. For as cheap as you could EP one of those bikes, spending a litte on the wheels shouldn't kill you. Flexy wheels suck.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
The new brain fade is the easiest, most tunable shock I have ever used. I run a bike shop and spend alot of time learning about new technology and whether it is something I would spen my money on. I agree with kidwoo that the previous brain shocks have left a lot to be desired. I would NEVER have owned one. But this brain fade is really practical, very adjustable and very non-mechanic friendly. No tools, no real understanding of suspension even needed. Just softer and firmer. It rode phenomenally!! I am not event that huge a Specialized fan as I love Cannondale but comparing the brain fade to the regular stumpy, the brain fade kills it. I would own it. The regular stumpy, I would not.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Update I have $500 in shop hours now and am itching to to some big dig damage to my bank account.

Kidwoo. What did you think of the head angle on that Stumpy 120? Not too twitchy in the rocky steep DH stuff? I know that the BB is nice and low (sweet!)

Good not about the spokes, I'll consider a re-lace if I get it.

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Heath Sherratt said:
I know on paper it looks dodgy but it rides amazing. Get the brain fade man, I'm tellin' ya. You won't be disapointed. At least try it.
It's a lot more money for a shock I haven't liked on other bikes (Epic, '04 S-Works Enduro) The hesitation on the first hit is too much IMO, it just isn't a seamless transition. The Triad shock is pretty awesome. Bieng able to have pro-pedal and turn it off is enough for my needs I think.

I will try to ride one before I decide since things change. I'm friends with the rep. and I'll see what I can do in the way of a demo :thumb:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Noah, we just got the new 06 SJ pro fsr with brain fade. It's awesome: sram x0 shifters and rd, xt cranks, xt brakes, ect... You should definately check it out ,and I would guess it weights only 26 pounds. That's a very rough estimate, but it's light for a 5" bike!

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
Noah, we just got the new 06 SJ pro fsr with brain fade. It's awesome: sram x0 shifters and rd, xt cranks, xt brakes, ect... You should definately check it out ,and I would guess it weights only 26 pounds. That's a very rough estimate, but it's light for a 5" bike!
Bikes of Ojai got that? Last time I was there it was all $400 hardtails, hardly any stock. I want to take a look at that for sure. :thumb:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Zark said:
Update I have $500 in shop hours now and am itching to to some big dig damage to my bank account.

Kidwoo. What did you think of the head angle on that Stumpy 120? Not too twitchy in the rocky steep DH stuff? I know that the BB is nice and low (sweet!)

Good not about the spokes, I'll consider a re-lace if I get it.
The angles felt fine. The biggest thing I disliked in that respect was the talas kind of dives a lot making things a litte steep if you try to get it too plush. That's the same fork that came on my bike, you just have to be really nitpicky about the pressure you run. It's certainly no deal breaker though.

The thing I like about most specialized bikes is the progression rate built into all of their frames. It makes for a very intuitive ride. It's easy to lower the back end if that makes any sense. When it gets steep, just lean back and the bikes behave really predictably. You know what the terrain is like where I ride and I thought the 120 bikes felt just fine.

I did stick a maverick fork on my enduro to get the front end up but I also stuck a slightly longer rear shock on it too so the angles stayed pretty much the same. It looks like you can get the headangle at 69 deg on the version they're making now, that's what I would do.

As far as the newer brain shocks go, I have talked to a few other people that have ridden them and they say the same thing......they're way better than the old ones. Maybe that opens up your options a bit. The specialized built wheels are still going to suck though. :blah:

Git them test rides in. Just remember, it's not the rear end that's flexing. :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Zark said:
Bikes of Ojai got that? Last time I was there it was all $400 hardtails, hardly any stock. I want to take a look at that for sure. :thumb:
Yeah, we're really changing things around. While Bob's in New Zealand we're redoing the place. We've also got a really nice Enduro and a SJ Comp. We should have a SJ S-Works Carbon HT in soon! I can't wait...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt said:
So that's the flex in the rear on the standard completes from the big red s...makes sense.
Dude, those things are horrible.

I got so used to the hoop noodles that when my crossmax wheels finally came in, I crashed about 5 times on a descent I used to do about every other week during the summer. I wasn't used to my bike steering.

I do have a friend that did the spoke switch thing and it worked.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt said:
Wow. You think they would notice.
To be honest, it's not something everyone is going to notice. You, me and zarky are DH guys so I think it's going to kind of stand out more since we're more used to rock solid big bikes and most of the xc crowd doesn't necessarily have that point of reference. I can say this though, the specialized built wheels are light as hell. I put the wheels from my enduro on my girlfriend's xc bike and they're great for her. But she doesn't drift her bike through corners.:D

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Yeah, actually I think I am aware fo this phenomenon. Uber light double butted spokes that you can twist with a finger. I am remembering now. The new wheels this year so far have come properly spec'd with 14g spokes in the enduros and larger gauge in the Stumpies that I have ridden. Those tricky guys, our bikes are the lightest!! (because we gave you weak ass spokes) But smart non the less. Thanks for the heads up. H