Quantcast

Specialied Clutch tires - real world opinions

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Maxxis has gotten to the point of being ludicrously expensive, and while I love the casings on them and the reasonable weight and low rolling resistance, I am considering other options. Gotta not weigh a total ton and have GOOD sidewalls. I don't flat (fresh) Maxxis 2plys, so I haven't been running anything but.

I got some short amount of trail time on the Clutch tires and they had a pretty good feel to them. Didn't really get any sliding action going on, but they didn't seem to suck. Any feedback from users on the casing durability vs. a Maxxis? Comments on specific rubber compounds that are available?

My experience with Specialized tires in the past has been generally positive. I ran the Chunder intermediate compounds (when they still made it) with good results, although I did flat it a few times. This was probably 1.5-2 years ago though? I don't even remember any details about the casing other than that it was a 2ply.

My other issue was that the sideknobs were so stiff on them that they would sometimes "stand up" on hardpacked stuff, and get somewhat squirmy as a result - they could benefit from slightly more pliable sideknobs, but their bite in loose stuff was superb. The partial siping on the Clutch looks appealing, as do the sipes in the middle knobs.

Long story short, looking for alternatives to Maxxis. Specialized has some cool options. Open to other legitimate DH tires as well (no Kenda, no Schwalble, no Intense folding-bead). Discuss.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I liked the Clutch SX tires I ran on my SX Trail. I had good luck as far as flats, and I thought they were pretty predictable as far as their mannerisms. I never really compared them back-to-back with Minions though so it's hard to say. Sideknobs seemed good to me as well. I didn't run them for all that long, and didn't get a ton of time on them, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Overall they were just a decent tire I think...nothing remarkable, but they didn't do anything wrong.

I've had some time on the Clutch tires - have really like them so far. I feel like the front sticks better then the Minions. Work well in dry, loose over hardpack, and loamy conditions but pack when it gets muddy. I'm running a 2.5 front (umma gumma) and 2.3 rear and have not had any flat problems. PSI is 25-27 front and 35-36 rear and I'm tipping the scales at a svelt 200. Running maxxis 2.3 DH tube in the rear and a welterweight up front.

I was skeptical at first use of the Specialized tires, but several sets were given to me and I have been really impressed by them. I'm trying the chunders now, but haven't had enough time on them to make up my mind yet. They seem to work well in all but really wet sloppy conditions so far and the side knobs flex more then you described with your set.

Hope that helps - I think you'll be happy with them.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
The Clutch is a killer tire. The first rendition had the side knobs siped all the way, and they would squirm a bit when pushed.

Now w/ the half sipe and "gummy bear" side knob compound they don't squirm and hook up like nobody's business in most everything but wet. I was trying to get them to break loose on a fast fireroad last week and all they did was throw up all sorts of roost on the guys behind me. Very stable.

I am running the SX sidewall w/ Stan's and 28/30 psi front/rear. I think tire weight is right around 1000grams for the 2.3.

Roll a little slow for the rear if you have to pedal a bunch. If it is all down run 'em front and rear.

It has been nicknamed the "cheater tire".

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If anyone knows these tires it's ProFro. Here's what he had to say when I asked him about them:

...it seems to do better when its loose and dusty... the new Clutch is grippy. Actually that is my only complaint is that it is too grippy. I am more used to tires that drift in a predictable manner. Which the DHF does well. The Clutch just holds too well.
Here's what he had to say about the Chunder:
The Chunder sideknobs are STIFF. Way stiffer than the Maxxis knobs. That said, they cut amazing through sandy/silty crap, but they tend to "stand up" on hardpack since the knobs don't modulate at all.
So if you like to drift - the Clutch may take some adjustments/acclimation. If you like to rail - then they sound like a good bet.

Seems you were spot on about the Chunders. Sounds like you have a good "feel" for tire performance!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I've been running Chunder 2.3's (Enduro casing) for a long time, including a few pre-release models of those tires. Never had a problem over 10 days of riding at Northstar last summer. BUT... one day at Pacifica I did flat twice in a row (about 30 seconds apart). So I chock that up to there being something in the rim/tire that popped my tubes.

I ran a Clutch 2.3 in the front, and a Chunder 2.3 in the rear for my Sea Otter race. Considering the super sandy conditions, and soft dirt, the Clutch tire hooked up amazingly. It rolls reasonably fast for having such blocked-knobs, but man... the traction was amazing!

I saw go for a Clutch in the front, but as a rear tire it might hook up too much.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Any opinion from the East coasters? how do they perform on the (sometimes) slippery rocks and roots we have out here (say for example Bromont or Whiteface)

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
I ran a pair of the 2.3's for a few months in Western NC which is roots, rocks, and all things slick and they are a great tire. Unless it's really wet, they work great...when it's wet, they still work better than most tires. As mentioned above, they don't like to break free. I would recommend giving them a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Hm this sounds like a pretty sweet front tire. I can't imagine it rolling super fast and I like my back end to be pretty loose just about all the time, so I might run something else there. I've been feeling the front "push" a little bit too much more than the rear recently with a dual 3C High Roller setup.

Yeah ProFro seems to be dead on about the Chunder. I liked that tire a lot at Mammoth on the super deep crap like on Follow Me and Chainsmoke. On anything more hardpack than that, it would do the "standing up" thing, and have a very abrupt give-away. If he's as keen about tire nuances as I am then that review of the Clutch sounds pretty much perfect. Thanks for digging that one up!

I don't really ride in the mud or slick roots, so that's not much of a factor for me at least. Southern California here.

I think it was Decline that had an article on snipping some of the Specialized tires recently. A good modification for the Chunders was to put a full sipe through every other sideknob all Minion style, but I don't think that one was mentioned in the article. They had some other interesting cuts though.

How is the sizing on the 2.3/2.5 Clutch compared to a Maxxis 2.5? The older Chunders I had ridden were exactly the same between the 2.3/2.5 sizes.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
My only complaint with Specialized tires in generally is that the sidewall dies rather quickly. The Chunders that came stock on my Demo 8 II were sweet for a while, but then the sidewall started getting flimsy and soft and i was getting pinch flats all over the place, got some DHFs and they lasted MUCH longer.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I ran through two sets of chunders along with sets DHF/DHR and am now running the Clutch. I have no complaints evnthough I havnot ran em in the mud. I actualy think they break lose predictably. I saw some one said they are running the 2.5. The 2.5 is not out yet and I havent seen it spect on a bike. I am an aquantice of a fella who develpodped and does R&D for alot of the specialized line. He has been wating for them also. If for some reason you happend to get ahold of a proto or something please give more detail. I think im going to pick up the 2.5 as soon as its available.

Interesting side note. I have seen a proto from specialized that looks similar to a DHF. The clutch rolls prety fast for what it is, but the proto looks like it might roll a little faster.

Get em you wont be disopointed.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
My only complaint with Specialized tires in generally is that the sidewall dies rather quickly. The Chunders that came stock on my Demo 8 II were sweet for a while, but then the sidewall started getting flimsy and soft and i was getting pinch flats all over the place, got some DHFs and they lasted MUCH longer.
99.9% sure stock Demo bikes come with the SX single ply casing. My 07 Demo 7 did. The Sworks version of the Chunders were a pretty decent dual ply DH tire.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Two tires in this thread that have taken me away from Maxxis.

The CLutch SX
The Chunder SX

I was sceptical of the Speccy tire at first, started with a standard Chunder 2.5 60 D tire. Its still in my garage, still in good shape, was very predictable.

SHortly after that, got myself a 2.3 clutch sx Dual compound for the rear....I instantly fell in love with the dual compound, outlasted the maxxis by a long shot as far as tread wear, I found it to be faster rolling and more predictable than the maxxis in the rear. Never ran the Clutch as a front tire, but I would imagine it would work great.

Now I am running a set of CHunder 2.5 SX's Dual compound I just picked up about a month ago. Damn what a difference from the 60 D that I had on teh front. Nice fast rolling tire, very predictable, and after four hard rides, the wear is still better than maxxis ever was.

I think that the Speccy tires just might be taking the cake these coming few years for DH.

Couple linky's

All tires for 2.3-2.5 speccy
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipTires26_2.2&eid=355

Clutch sx
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=41799

Chunder SX

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42211

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Alright so what is the "SX" casing exactly? 1py? 2ply? Wannabe 2ply?

Let's just say that I use the flat protection of the Maxxis 2ply's to its full potential, so I'm going to need something with a similar carcass.

Dynamatt

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
Slimy Valley
Chunder SX is by FAR the best tire i have run to date..
First set of tires were a DHF and High Roller combo. The front was nice in softer conditions and high roller had nice brake bite.. Other than that, they run small, they dont stick in hard pack, and are heavy/ overpriced.

Next tire, Intense 909ex lite's- This tire is the closest thing i have found to the SX, but it's heavier and doesn't grab on the side knobs as well as the chunder.

Kenda Neve's- Won't run them again, weak sidewalls, pinch flat CITY!!!!

Special Ed Chunder SX- Predictable, grips in loose, hard pack, mud they get an honorable mention.. But by FAR the smoothest, natural feeling tire i have had

I have plans to put a Clutch 2.5 SX on the front of my bike and keep a chunder sx on the back. Front will stick like glue, and back will allow that slight drift i have grown to love

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hacktastic:
How is the sizing on the 2.3/2.5 Clutch compared to a Maxxis 2.5? The older Chunders I had ridden were exactly the same between the 2.3/2.5 sizes.
The 2.3's I've seen are pretty beefy - as in having a large volume. I'd say it has a bit more volume than a Maxxis 2.5"

As others have said - the 2.5" Chunders and Clutch tires aren't available yet so - nothing to report.

If you have a tendency to pinch-flat and need the full potential of a 2-Ply / Butyl insert type carcass like what Maxxis has to offer - I'd go with the Chunder DH or the Clutch DH. Like Mike said - the SX is an awesome tire that is lightweight, BUT it is a single-ply tire which may not stand up to your level of abuse.

The SX series tires from Spesh have the same 60tpi count as the DH models but they only have 1 ply (OK - 1.5 ply if you count the cap).

The DH series tires have a 2-ply casing with Butyl stiffened sidewalls which is very similar (if not the same thing) to the Maxxis 2-Ply casing with Butyl inserts.

The weight difference between the SX series and DH series is approx 300g - so you know the DH series tires have a lot more protection than the SX series.

For your expressed concerns - try a set of the DH series, and if you're feeling saucy - get 1 SX tire and experiment.

:biggrin:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So apparently these are like $5 cheaper than Maxxis at cost....whoop de friggin do.

Gonna give it a whirl anyway, at least for the front right now. Suck it slow, Maxxis!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
LoL - yeah, I was gonna say - they ain't THAT cheap... but thought you had some kind of unknown hook-up or something.

Let us know what you think of them after some saddle-time!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm not paying retail thank god, but I didn't realize they were that close to the Maxxis in price. Oh well.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Hm, I'm coming up with a 13 dollar differential at cost per tire, either you have a good maxxis source I don't or a sh1tty specialized source!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
First- I have been riding single ply casing chunder tires and I really like them. Great tire, light and predictable. I am a huge minion dhf fan also, and running them side by side on different bikes, I think that specialized has a pretty awesome tire. Both pack up in mud, so that's a wash.
Second- and I could be wrong- I have always been under the impression (from a reliable source) that Kenda makes specialized tires... Can anyone confirm or deny this with any certainty?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Kenda DOES indeed make tires for Spesh, but as far as I know - that is only limited to road tires (700c) and tubes.

I'm pretty sure Maxxis is the silent partner that makes Spesh MTB DH tires, but I could be wrong on that.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Tires are the one place it just doesn't make sense to shop by price IMO.
It's like buying $50 car tires. You might save $200 now, but you'll pay 10x that in body damage.
One wet ride on a $20 Kenda and I've learned my lesson.