Quantcast

Specialized 2011 Demo 8 Sizing

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So, I've ridden a large D7 and now 2009 D8. Looks like I'll be getting a 2011 D8 for next season (BTW, anyone interested my 2009 frame, PM me. Used 1 summer because of a bad injury this season :D).

I've kind of been wondering if I should give the medium a go. Specialized seems to have had this aggressive larger geometry thing down for quite some time now (see Sam Hill going from essentially what was a custom large Sunday to a small D8) and Brendog on a medium D8. Also take a look at the stack and reach numbers of the Demo bikes compared to other manufacturers and you'll notice that the medium Demo tends to be roomier and longer than many other large frames.

I'm 6'3" with long arms and legs so I normally tend to ride the larger frames. Any people out there mess around on both medium and large 2010 Demo's which are supposed to be the same geometry? Just curious as to what your thoughts are.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Brendan rode a large at windham and worlds (the yellow bike) and loved it. It was LONG. He rode a medium the rest of the year and went to a large to try it on the faster tracks.

It'd go for a large if I were you, at 6'3".

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I'm 6'1" and this thought occurred to me too. I am going with a large, I have fairly long arms and don't want to feel cramped on the bike.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
So, I've ridden a large D7 and now 2009 D8. Looks like I'll be getting a 2011 D8 for next season (BTW, anyone interested my 2009 frame, PM me. Used 1 summer because of a bad injury this season :D).

I've kind of been wondering if I should give the medium a go. Specialized seems to have had this aggressive larger geometry thing down for quite some time now (see Sam Hill going from essentially what was a custom large Sunday to a small D8) and Brendog on a medium D8. Also take a look at the stack and reach numbers of the Demo bikes compared to other manufacturers and you'll notice that the medium Demo tends to be roomier and longer than many other large frames.

I'm 6'3" with long arms and legs so I normally tend to ride the larger frames. Any people out there mess around on both medium and large 2010 Demo's which are supposed to be the same geometry? Just curious as to what your thoughts are.
I'm in the same boat as you, injured and missed most of this season. I'm 6'2" 220lbs, but I like my bikes small. I sat on my friends medium 2010 sxt last week and it felt like the right size for me. I think I'm going for a medium.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'm 6'1" and this thought occurred to me too. I am going with a large, I have fairly long arms and don't want to feel cramped on the bike.
Just a heads up that the large Demos are LARGE. At 6'1" I wouldn't be so certain about the large. I know it's in style to be on the larger bikes for better high speed stability, but I think this rule of thumb pertains more so to the other manufacturers.

Just check out the DH geometry spreadsheet. The Specialized bikes are sized much larger and more aggressively with regards to stack, reach, and overall geometry IMO.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Just a heads up that the large Demos are LARGE. At 6'1" I wouldn't be so certain about the large. I know it's in style to be on the larger bikes for better high speed stability, but I think this rule of thumb pertains more so to the other manufacturers.
I'm 6'1" but my arm span is 6'5" so I'm confident on the large. I run an XL on my 2 XC bikes and they are comfy.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Im 6'1 and sat on a Medium at Worlds and it felt just about right. I was also recommended a Medium. Ordered a Med. today.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Now you guys have me double guessing myself a wee bit (too late really since I ordered a large).

I rode a friend's 2008 (large) and it felt good but maybe a bit long. However I noticed the sizes have come down, same chainstay but shorter wheel base (1220 to 1208mm) so the reach has come down 12mm.

*Also, I rode a 2008 Medium around a parking lot and it felt a ok. If I had to choose between the large and medium from that year I'd take the large.

So again that's why I went with the large, its between the L/M from 2008.

Last edited:

Huck_Finn

Chimp
Jul 4, 2009
I'm also looking at getting a new Demo and figuring out what size to get is torturing me. From what I can tell, the Demo reach measurement is a bit misleading taken by itself. The chainstays on that bike are super short and it seems to handle a lot snappier then you'd expect by looking at the reach measurement.

I'm 5'8" and after comparing the Demo geo numbers with other bikes, I figured I should be on a Small. After riding a Small and a Medium Demo, my head hurts because I think I like the Medium better. That doesn't seem to jive with what I thought I'd like by just looking at the geometry numbers. Sitting on the bike, the Medium didn't feel nearly as long as I expected after looking at that monster reach measurement. It was super stable at speed, which makes sense, but it really didn't seem to give up much on the tight twisty stuff in the woods. I'd chalk that up to the short chainstays. The Small also handled great, but felt a bit "small" to me. I could ride either, but I'm leaning towards the Medium at the moment. That being said, I only have a few runs on those bikes and neither was setup for me, so it was hard to really get a feel for the frame size. I'll probably change my mind 3 more times before I order a frame. :rant:

Inclag, I thought I read that Sam Hill was riding a Medium Demo in some interview and he's about 5'9". Is he really riding a Small?

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sam is on a small, but it's a pretty big small. I'm 5'5" and it was too big for me. They developed the XS for someone my size under Troy. Brendan was on a medium, and went up to the large at the end of the season.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
6'1", Medium (2010) Demo 8. It's been a great fit, though I had an opportunity to sit on a large recently, and I would prefer the length on faster, open courses, I think.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
It's all personal preference. I'm 6'2" and loved the large 2010 I was on in Whistler.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
I'm 6 ft and am very happy with my medium 2011, at 6'1 you could still probably go either way depending on preference, but for someone 6'3, i'd definitely go with a Large.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
not to mention what kind of tracks you spend most of your time on.
Exactly.

All factors considered you would still probably need to spend a month on both sizes to work out the advantages/disadvantages. Either way it's one hell of a sweet bike so enjoy it when it arrives.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
yeah I am on the short side 5'3", I currently ride a 2010 xs Glory but find it a tad too short. I am thinking of going back to a Demo but am stuck between an xs and sm

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
yeah I am on the short side 5'3", I currently ride a 2010 xs Glory but find it a tad too short. I am thinking of going back to a Demo but am stuck between an xs and sm
XS for sure IMO. Significantly larger than the equivalent Giant.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2007
I'm also currently confused. I'm 5' 6'' with no shoes on. The reach number on this bike seems huge and everyone seems to say that reach is the best number we have to judge fitment on DH bikes.

What size would you guys recommend? S or M? I use to ride a M 2006 SX before.

One shop told me the S is super small and that I would be crazy to buy an S, but then again, maybe that is because they only had an M in stock. The M reach did feel just a tad long. Is this how this bike suppose to feel? I was only able to ride it up and down the aisle at the shop.

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
The sizing is a bit confusing on the new Demos. Just looking at reach numbers, I was sure I'd love the small, at 5'11", but after having a sit down on a friend's bike, it felt a bit cramped. Standing and pedaling, my knees were almost at the bars.

cjm102

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Aus
I ride a small 2010 demo and at about 5'8" I find the reach spot on, however I do like a small bike but I just couldn't fit on a medium. I feel like I'm in-between sizes with the 2011 as a see they have shortened the top tube measurement, I did get a ride a Medium 2011 over the weekend (car park test) and I think I could adjust to the extra room, but I don't think I could go any smaller and get another small 2011.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I ride a small 2010 demo and at about 5'8" I find the reach spot on, however I do like a small bike but I just couldn't fit on a medium. I feel like I'm in-between sizes with the 2011 as a see they have shortened the top tube measurement, I did get a ride a Medium 2011 over the weekend (car park test) and I think I could adjust to the extra room, but I don't think I could go any smaller and get another small 2011.
Eh? The reach is the same small 2010/2011.

Huck_Finn

Chimp
Jul 4, 2009
Just an update... I'm also 5' 8" and got a small 2011 Demo. Glad I got the small and not the medium. While I probably could ride a Medium, I believe it would feel a bit big on the tight/technical stuff I usually ride.

Last edited:

cjm102

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Aus
Eh? The reach is the same small 2010/2011.
As I said I feel like I'm inbetween sizes and I didn't mention anything about reach, the reach is obviously the same on the two bikes but they have gone from a 587mm horozontal TT to a 560mm (Small frame), you should be able to feel 27mm yeah?.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I didn't know the TT length was different, but really, when are you going to sit down on the thing?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
As I said I feel like I'm inbetween sizes and I didn't mention anything about reach, the reach is obviously the same on the two bikes but they have gone from a 587mm horozontal TT to a 560mm (Small frame), you should be able to feel 27mm yeah?.
You can definitely feel 27mm. The difference between small and X small is 20mm and is very noticeable.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
I am 6'0 with a very slightly larger wingspan.. the medium is PERFECT for me. i've ridden a large too and would be able to manage okay on it, but the medium is dialed.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Bike finally came in. To answer my own question, (at 6'3") I think I could have gone with either a medium or large. It's been about a year since I last sat on a downhill bike, but fit-wise neither my large nor the medium I sat on felt too long or too cramped in the cockpit. Of course the devils in the details as far as handling, stability, & riding style, which are all personal preferences. I guess the general rule of thumb is that the Demo's tend to be a little longer than similarly frame sized counterparts so sizing may not be as cut and dry as other brands of bikes.

guiepinto

Chimp
Nov 17, 2009
Brazil
I'm 6 ft and am very happy with my medium 2011, at 6'1 you could still probably go either way depending on preference, but for someone 6'3, i'd definitely go with a Large.
Exactly my opinion... I'm 6-ft and ride a medium...
I've had a 2009 large and it felt a bit long for me...
But if I were taller, I'd definetely go with a large one...

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Hey I was just googling around for sizes on demos
Im thinking of trying a second hand demo for a while... did anyone here go from a 2009 to a 2011 Im just trying to get a guage on the size difference if any, all these sizes are weird... eg....
I just don't trust the sizing on geo charts on any bikes really so would love some feedback...

2009 demo 8 Large s m l
Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 550mm 575mm 592mm
Top Tube Length (Actual) 520mm 540mm 554mm

2010 Demo 8 Large
Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 587mm 607mm 624mm
Top Tube Length (Actual) 523mm 532mm 545mm
Reach 409mm 429mm 446mm

2011 DEMO 8 large
Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 540mm 560mm 580mm 597mm
Top Tube Length (Actual) 485mm 504mm 517mm 530mm
Reach 390mm 410mm 430mm 447mm