Quantcast

specialized allez elite?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
im looking into getting my first road bike, and i can get an allez elite for around $750 (i work at a bike shop). is this a decent starter bike? also, should i wait for the 07s or go with an 06?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
if i worked at a Specialized dealer, which i do, and was looking at Specialized road bikes, which i am, i'd get a Tarmac. starter schmarter.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ok idiots. the tarmac is not a "starter" bike. it is $2200 minimum carbon fiber job.

fyi, many club-level euros use aluminum bikes, not carbon, so they can have a strong and reliable bike for many years. their road conditions are not as good as ours, so something than can last is important.

i think the frame is excellent on the allez elite, being columbus e5. I would man up and get a double, and eventually replace the crankset/bb from sugino to shimano/truvativ/fsa. you will probably notice some flex in the cranks if you are over 170lbs...

for the heck of it, i would also replace the brakes from the no-name's to ultegra. the wheels are not the greatest training/racing wheels either, but i don't like any wheelset which comes on a production road bike. i would build a set, 32 hole if it is a trainer....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, really the question is carbon vs alu for a starter bike. I think alu is more reliable, and the ride is not as comfortable, but very easy to get used to.

I suppose I have the entry level racer in mind, not the entry level rider.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
aggrorider said:
FYI... the the 2006 allez elite is modeled after the tarmac.
and what was the tarmac modeled after?

04 Allez Comp

06 Allez Elite

06 Tarmac

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
ok, first of all, the tarmac and the allez ride completely different. second of all, the price points are completely different. the allez model, whether its the base, or the highest model, is a good starter bike. there are lots of models to choose from, all with really good build kits for the price. the allez elite is a great starter bike, and has lots of quality components on it. and being that you can get a really good discount, i would spend the extra 250 making it a flat 1000 and try and get the Comp instead. if 750 is your cut off though, the Elite would be an awesome bike.

I picked up an Allez Elite (the full Ultegra Groupo version) about a year and half ago and couldn't be happier with it. The Ksyrium Equipes could be replaced for something lighter, but hey, they're still straight and true after 2k miles so I can't really complain. I can't see it being a bad call for your first road bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BIGHIT756 said:
ok, first of all, the tarmac and the allez ride completely different. second of all, the price points are completely different. the allez model, whether its the base, or the highest model, is a good starter bike. there are lots of models to choose from, all with really good build kits for the price. the allez elite is a great starter bike, and has lots of quality components on it. and being that you can get a really good discount, i would spend the extra 250 making it a flat 1000 and try and get the Comp instead. if 750 is your cut off though, the Elite would be an awesome bike.
:stupid:

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
i thought the tarmac and the allez have the same geo. and a carbon bike for just starting out racing is stupid, cause your more likley to crash and thrash the frame. just my 2-cents