Quantcast

SPECIALIZED coming out whith 29er EPIC

sjcX3oldtown

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
san juan capistrano old town
just the word so far - saying that the STUMPJUMPER Hard Tail And EPIC will have a 29 inche wheeled version - with the new tire the are currently selling OUT of - the Specialized Fast Trak 29er Tire( coming up at 600 grams ) - is maybe a marketing test to see if 29ers are the next step for specialized

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
this is not a test...I repeat, this is not a test. I would love to see specialized develop a 29er. they have always made some very nice production bikes in my opinion. Hell, I still have my A1 Rockhopper from like 95 and I've turned it into an urban asault bike, still holding up great after 10 years of severe abuse.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
sjcX3oldtown said:
just the word so far - saying that the STUMPJUMPER Hard Tail And EPIC will have a 29 inche wheeled version - with the new tire the are currently selling OUT of - the Specialized Fast Trak 29er Tire( coming up at 600 grams ) - is maybe a marketing test to see if 29ers are the next step for specialized

What's your source...? Because Fox would have to make a shock for it...

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Are Specialized and Fox married? Reba's do the job just fine, and are dead cheap for the performance they offer. Perhaps Specialized would like to make a little bit more affordable 29" models to kick off with?

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Educate me. Normal FS shocks also work fine with longer chainstays, why can't an existing shock be mounted on a larger Epic?

sjcX3oldtown

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
san juan capistrano old town
FOX doesnt just has to extend the shock body which isnt all that hard - plus the epic brain shock is specialized's shock , fox just produces tons of shocks for them that they dont sell(ex. Septune, Brain, Triad, ect...) - so maybe they might come out with a Specialized 29er fork ???? just cause its not included in the 07 line up doesnt mean it cant happen

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
motomike said:
no 29er for 2007...
There really has never been any doubt since day one that the big red S and other industry "leaders" will end up making something 29, but if it is later than sooner no big deal. Perhaps it will keep some of the smaller companies already involved in beer and nachos for another year? Nothing wrong with that.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Specialized folks have been talking off the record about the 29er Epic for a few weeks. It's definitely in the works. Getting the brain shock to work on a 29er Epic would be pretty easy, and could probably be solved with an altered shock mount on the frame, or a slightly longer extension from the shock to the seat tube. Minor modification for Fox at worst.

While that's great for the racer set, I'm waiting for a 29er Enduro, some 2.3 Specialized Chunder 29er tires, and a 29er Fox 36.

Saw the new Cannondale 29er hardtail this weekend. Another nice one for racers.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
jbogner said:
While that's great for the racer set, I'm waiting for a 29er Enduro, some 2.3 Specialized Chunder 29er tires, and a 29er Fox 36.
Damn straight. I'd poop my panties if they did that.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Bicyclist said:
Damn straight. I'd poop my panties if they did that.
Have a look into the Niner Bikes RIP 9 then, or mayb a Lenzsport Behemoth if you are looking for an "All Mountain" 29er.

I think you can get a Ventana 29er FS bike with 5" rockers now as well.

Pair those up with a White Brothers 5" travel 29er specific fork and you've got a pretty killer ride on your hands.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
+++CONFIRMED!+++

http://twentynineinches.com/2006/06/14/specialized-29er-confirmed/
I have a source confirming that Specialized will have a 29er coming out for the 2008 season. Their original goal was to have it in the ‘07 line but they’re running behind, hopefully taking the extra time to do it right. The bike should be available about a year from now.

I can’t get anymore details as of now but I’ll post them as I do.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=202670
Was chatting with a local Specialized dealer and found out the reps are saying there's three Specialized 29'ers coming out. There wasn't any info on which frames, and I don't know if it's three models or three frames in various models. If it's three frames, then it looks like the whole Specialized line is going to be availables as a 29'er. Don't know if they'll all come out at once, or individually like Cannondale is apparently going to do.