Quantcast

specialized crosstrail review 1

Jan 24, 2017
I contacted specialized regarding a safety concern with a crosstrail bike. My wife and I set out for a bike ride; she was on the as new crosstrail. It was a clear day and we were on a flat road with no other traffic in the neighborhood. Without any shifting or braking the specialized crosstrail jammed, locked up and launched my wife over the handle bars to the road surface. An engineer eyewitness at the scene noticed the jammed components on the specialized crosstrail bike. A year later my wife is healing but not fully, from her multiple injuries.

After taking care of my wife and the injuries caused by the jammed locked up specialized crosstrail, I returned the crosstrail bike to the specialized dealer and requested an observation of the condition of the bike. The specialized dealer wrote on the ticket
“Shifter in 5th gear chain jammed in frame behind 7th cog” (see attached photo of ticket)

My email letter to specialized included many clear photos of the jammed and locked up components on the crosstrail bike and a clear explanation of the injuries to my wife and our concerns as well as our full name and contact information.

Reply email from specialized> “sir, saw your note”: I continued to contact specialized regarding the safety concern while the emails came back as blocked.

Of course we would not want this to happen to anyone else.
We have not been on a bike since and have been getting the run around for a year and a half by specialized, which has cost us hundreds of dollars to deal with. Safety is a major concern and of note, not one person that I contacted at specialized ever expressed any sympathy for my injured wife.
Online research finds similar reports of like problems listed from other owners with like crosstrail bikes. Condensed list from 10 pages of research, 37 line items, 309 words is available.
A full report of the cost of ownership for the specialized crosstrail that jammed and locked up causing injuries to follow: Please see 4 attached photos of the specialized crosstrail Jammed and Locked Up safety concern:
specialized crosstrail Safety Concern.jpg
specialized crosstrail Safety Concern IV.jpg

Jan 24, 2017
/Customer service contact by phone
I took time today to call specialized on the telephone with regard to a safety concern. I was told the Director of Global Customer Service at Specialized did not have a desk and a phone that day. Left a message with my return info and was assured that I would receive a call back. No return call after a week,> from the Director of Global Customer Service at Specialized. No return call ever came from the Director of Global Customer Service at Specialized. Elapsed time for this call group over 2.5 hours
I called specialized back the next week>
>Operator sent my call to a non-descript voice message>
>I called right back, operator sent my call to another non person voice message>
>I called right back and received advice from the operator that she had received from some department that would not answer my call>
>then the specialized operator hung up on me while I was still speaking requesting information>
>I called the same phone number right back, and had to let it ring for 10 minutes>
>Same specialized operator then put me directly on hold for another half hour and then hung up on me again. This call group took over one hour elapsed time>
Elapsed time for this call group was over 2.5 hours to talk to customer service.
My contact info was again taken and I was again assured that I would be called back.
To date I have not received a single return call from specialized or a single response to 3 certified mailed envelopes and 43 regular mailed envelopes posted to specialized, with regard to a jammed and locked up crosstrail that caused injuries to my wife.
Also of note, not one person I contacted at specialized expressed any type of sympathy for my injured wife!
Safety Issue Blocked by Specialized
Mail Delivery Failure
>>> @specialized.com: 550 Rejected by header based Blocked Senders
To: "" <@specialized.com>
Sent: Subject: Specialized Crosstrail Jammed Injury (Safety Issue)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
/Customer service contact by phone
I took time today to call specialized on the telephone with regard to a safety concern. I was told the Director of Global Customer Service at Specialized did not have a desk and a phone that day. Left a message with my return info and was assured that I would receive a call back. No return call after a week,> from the Director of Global Customer Service at Specialized. No return call ever came from the Director of Global Customer Service at Specialized. Elapsed time for this call group over 2.5 hours
>Operator sent my call to a non-descript voice message>
>I called right back, operator sent my call to another non person voice message>
>I called right back and received advice from the operator that she had received from some department that would not answer my call>
>then the specialized operator hung up on me while I was still speaking requesting information>
>I called the same phone number right back, and had to let it ring for 10 minutes>
>Same specialized operator then put me directly on hold for another half hour and then hung up on me again. This call group took over one hour elapsed time>
Elapsed time for this call group was over 2.5 hours to talk to customer service.
My contact info was again taken and I was again assured that I would be called back.
To date I have not received a single return call from specialized or a single response to 3 certified mailed envelopes and 43 regular mailed envelopes posted to specialized, with regard to a jammed and locked up crosstrail that caused injuries to my wife.
Also of note, not one person I contacted at specialized expressed any type of sympathy for my injured wife!
Safety Issue Blocked by Specialized
Mail Delivery Failure
>>> @specialized.com: 550 Rejected by header based Blocked Senders
To: "" <@specialized.com>
Sent: Subject: Specialized Crosstrail Jammed Injury (Safety Issue)
View attachment 124477 View attachment 124478

Jan 24, 2017
Additionally and of note, three Certified letters (a signature required letter)and many regular post mailed letters have been sent to specialized requesting a reply with regard to the concern with the specialized crosstrail bike. To date, and after 8 months of sending letters to them, no reply or acknowledgment of receiving the letters has come from specialized. No reply from specialized ever came, with regard to the numerous letters sent, concerned about the specialized bike that jammed and caused injuries to my wife. We have been getting the run around for over a year which has cost us hundreds of dollars. Given the circumstances and the research, (see 10 pages of condensed copy from other owners with like specialized crosstrail issues) we are concerned about the specialized crosstrail that jammed up and launched my wife to the pavement below causing injuries. Of course the hope that no one else is injured in this way by a specialized crosstrail remains.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
A hybrid in the DH forum?

With more than 1 chainring?

With less than 6" of travel?

By Specialized?

He better get her an e-bike.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Where do I start?

The mechanic that assembled the bike needs to make sure it works after assembly. Not Specialized.

You lay out the perfect description of the day- Blue sky, no traffic, no one around or in the way. BOOM! She faceplants and a mechanical engineer comes running over to see what the malfunction of the bike is?

You say "the shifter said gear 5, but it was jammed in gear 7". Your pictures show a front chainring with a partially derailed chain...
A) this wouldn't have caused a wreck.
B) this wouldn't lock up a wheel.
C) this wouldn't have caused an endo.
D) after a wreck, a bike is rarely, if ever, in the same gear as the shifter says.
E) the wreck is why the chain is partially off the front ring.

Even if the chain was jammed between gear 7 and the frame (assuming this is a 21 speed bike) the rear wheel wouldn't have "locked up". The crank might not rotate, but the wheel wouldn't lock up.

There's about 5 other things to mention, but I've wasted enough time already.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...yet I still believe the OP there is human... :twitch:
....or a reasonable facsimile of one :monkey:

[QUOTE="StiHacka, post: 4182950, member: 84584"...- I don't think AI is capable of throwing as emotional tantrums just yet. :twitch:[/QUOTE]

Hey I only started and thereby facilitated the said trainwreck, but I do not believe I participated in the tantrum part. :busted: We haz perfeshunals round theez parts fer that. :panic: :D