Quantcast

Specialized crushes Stratos *Unconfirmed*

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I had no idea people still used shocks on their bike, what with all the complications of having to rebuild the damping confabulatrix regulation valve all the time..

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
there is a possibility that the stratos id cartridge infringed on spesh'd brain patent and they decided to throw the hammer down
OR maybe it was the other wya around, but hey, who knows. All in the past now I guess.

Stratos S8: Still one of the most fun Mr. Plow forks ever, when it wasn't leaking.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
too bad specialized had to sue them instead of Rissie because Rissie is a crappy company that needs to go under
Ok and why do you feel that way? Risse Lowering Crowns are Cheap and Kick ass. And name another Co. that used to make sneak a toke bar ends.

Or are you talking about REESE Penut Butter Cups. Because they are pretty dam good.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
those were pretty trick
Not as trick as the Stratos double chamber CNC'd bongs. Heat sinks on the bowl, couldn't spill water. That thing was bad ass.

They should have marketed that instead of lockout cartridges, might still be in business!

Stratos has been screwed up for a LONG time.
Basically it comes down to Mike, the owner, being a good engineer with bad business skills. They've lost many great employees that were making the whole thing actually work, to his stupidity. Randolph could really lay the smack down about the company.

Its kinda too bad. They had some great ideas and some industry firsts.
They had large air volume air shocks that didn't feel like poo.
They had the first lockout rear shock, even a remote for it.
The S8 was a bad ass fork. Plow anything over. Just too tall and heavy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
maybe if they got off the pipe and made forks that worked?

back to the point, I'm not saying specialized shouldn't protect their patents, but that's part of my beef...THEIR patents...the FSR link was originally the horst link, which came from AMP research. The inertia valve came from a smaller company, (i think) which was bought or used by fox, and then implemented by special ed. It's not necessarily illegal, but it just seems wrong to patent or screw over other companies using something that isn't really yours.

If they were to patent, say, a BB system that THEY developed, or a fork that THEY designed, and wanted to protect those patents, that's fine. The way they protect what they "took"with more powerful attorney's, etc., is what bothers me. Honestly, how does the ID cartridge affect specialized? They only use the "brain" shock on one bike, and that shock isn't available for any other use. How is stratos really hurting specialized's business?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I think Catherine had a lot to do with the company going down. I tried dealing with her twice, and both times she made me scared she would turn me into a newt. Evil woman with some serious attitude.

Stratos could have been good, but wasn't.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well to be fair, you can't patent something and then sue the original manufactuer of this. They can claim prior art and be exempt from it, or completely in validate your patent. There has to be SOMETHING new about the patent or it won't fly.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
back to the point, I'm not saying specialized shouldn't protect their patents, but that's part of my beef...THEIR patents...the FSR link was originally the horst link, which came from AMP research. The inertia valve came from a smaller company, (i think) which was bought or used by fox, and then implemented by special ed. It's not necessarily illegal, but it just seems wrong to patent or screw over other companies using something that isn't really yours.

If they were to patent, say, a BB system that THEY developed, or a fork that THEY designed, and wanted to protect those patents, that's fine. The way they protect what they "took"with more powerful attorney's, etc., is what bothers me.
:brow:

Please provide evidence that Specialized "took" the patents instead of buying them or having agreements with the companies that developed them that it would be Specialized's patented technology.

I don't buy the old, tired, "big bad corporation" routine. People are greedy and/or short sighted. That's how many corporations acquire patents - someone sells out for small money before the patent is put into widespread use. Or the development of it is funded by the corporation with the agreement that the result will belong to them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't mean they stole the amp patent...but they didn't create it either. I was tempted to use the word "stole" but that's not what they did. It's just that they find these neat little things that work, prevent other people from using them, and then release them in very limited quantities or for limited use or for too high a price.

If specialized hadn't blocked everybody from using the horst link, which everybody was already doing, there would be a lot of good bikes FOR CHEAP out there. If Stratos were allowed free reign with the ID cartridge, it could have become something very useful.

It's good for their business, but bad for me. And that's all I care about, me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't mean they stole the amp patent...but they didn't create it either. I was tempted to use the word "stole" but that's not what they did. It's just that they find these neat little things that work, prevent other people from using them, and then release them in very limited quantities or for limited use or for too high a price.

If specialized hadn't blocked everybody from using the horst link, which everybody was already doing, there would be a lot of good bikes FOR CHEAP out there. If Stratos were allowed free reign with the ID cartridge, it could have become something very useful.

It's good for their business, but bad for me. And that's all I care about, me.
Sweet, so someday if you patent something as good as the horst link, you'll let everyone use it for free right?

:nopity:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If specialized hadn't blocked everybody from using the horst link, which everybody was already doing, there would be a lot of good bikes FOR CHEAP out there.
So there aren't a lot of good bikes for cheap because specalized owns the patent to the horst link? You've got to be kidding me.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Sweet, so someday if you patent something as good as the horst link, you'll let everyone use it for free right?

:nopity:

edit: I am with the 'GRipper on this one, if specialized had not patented it, someone else would have sooner or later.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ The landing on that is the exposed dirt on the right, not the left one.

I'm too big of a wuss to hit that thing. I'll take pictures of people doing it though.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Well I agree the "Trixy" and "The Champ" were kind of weird. But That dosn't make the whole company crappy!

The Statos S8 was a sik fork!! It could take some serious abuse.
everything I ever used or tried out from Risse was crap! From their forks to suspension modifiers. Every item of thiers I tried, failed as did their customer service! So due to my experience with that companies products, I feel I am justified to say that Risse is crap and risse forks are really crappy. Crap, crappidity, crap, crap, crap!

L

luelling

everything I ever used or tried out from Risse was crap! From their forks to suspension modifiers. Every item of thiers I tried, failed as did their customer service! So due to my experience with that companies products, I feel I am justified to say that Risse is crap and risse forks are really crappy. Crap, crappidity, crap, crap, crap!
How can you not like this fork?? :brows: I bet you can go super fast with it!!!

Attachments

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
moutain cycle didnt innovate? they were huge innovators in their time. First monocouqe bike, single pivot, hydroformed bodies.
Take it easy on the guy, he isn't old enough to remember the tiny ads in MBA mountain cycle had back in the day. Weren't they one of the first to use a disc brake? They also had a crazy inverted suspension fork that looked like it was made from the shock absorber off of a chevy truck.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Well they shouldn't have stopped innovating in 1993 then.
Exactly...They produced the exact same bikes for 15 years. In the early 90s they were innovators, but when 2006 rolls around you may want to consider updating your stuff aside from tube shape and paint.

The Battery will never be produced, nor was it a terribly fascinating new bike, just riding a trend.

Kinesis pawned them off to Ideation cause they didn't want to put the time/money into R&D on new designs...