Quantcast

Specialized Demo 8 Carbon

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
"Also spotted on Hill's bike were a new RockShox Boxxer fork with DLC-coated stanchions for smoother operation"

where have they been for the last 3 years?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hopefully that paint job wont make it to production. i see that shiny part looking like sh!t real fast.

more sweet reporting
The new carbon fiber front triangle of Sam Hill's Monster Energy-Specialized Demo Carbon is expected to be both lighter and more rigid than the current aluminum version.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
hopefully that paint job wont make it to production. i see that shiny part looking like sh!t real fast.
It looks in line with other Specialized 'Project Black' paint schemes, much like aluminum proto that he raced in '10. likely more for recognition as such than anything else.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I won't comment on the accuracy of his statements, but come one, you debut a new bike at a public event, and then get angry when people take pics of it while it sits out in the open?! that's just funny.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It looks in line with other Specialized 'Project Black' paint schemes, much like aluminum proto that he raced in '09. likely more for recognition as such than anything else.
i figured they would tone down the paint scheme for this particular bike but as a production color, it would suck. or is project black a actual production color?

The bikes were not visible from the public area and were not "in the open."
this isnt "in the open?"

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
meh, it's a carbon bike, which everyone expected (last year even)...I still don't think it's really that big a deal...but then again, I think the bike industry is generally pretty funny, or lame, your choice! :)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i figured they would tone down the paint scheme for this particular bike but as a production color, it would suck. or is project black a actual production color?
From what I understand it's basically the new name for what S-Works used to be, think "Black Box." I know some of the road bikes have come to market in this color but Specialized surely understands the power of vanity so I doubt there won't be other colors.

The first aluminum incarnation of this frame was the same color, check page 1.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Why the secrecy really? Its not like their competitors are gonna rush out and make their own carbon demo.

The secret squirrel stuff in the MTB industry is just about making people think this is a high stakes business.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Why the secrecy really? Its not like their competitors are gonna rush out and make their own carbon demo.

The secret squirrel stuff in the MTB industry is just about making people think this is a high stakes business.
This. Hell, I would get it if they were breaking new ground, and putting carbon in DH bikes when it had never been done before, but there were literally three teams that successfully raced carbon bikes that were either already full production or soon to be, last year alone. And hell, its not exactly as if the tech is new, they were doing it in the 90s. Yes, tech has gotten more sophisticated, and its actually a genuine improvement over the old stuff,

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you show people something too far in advance of it's actualy release to the public, it takes away from the impulse to purchase it.

Keep it under wraps. Time your marketing. Unveil. Buy. Buy. Oh, dear heavens...BUY! BUY NOW!!!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you show people something too far in advance of it's actualy release to the public, it takes away from the impulse to purchase it.

Keep it under wraps. Time your marketing. Unveil. Buy. Buy. Oh, dear heavens...BUY! BUY NOW!!!
actually, it takes away from the impulse to buy what's currently in your warehouse/in production.