Quantcast

Specialized Demo w/Deemax compatability (offset issues)

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
I'm looking at putting a set of of Mavic Deemax's on my 2008 Specialized Demo 8 but I'm not sure about the compatability because the rear wheel requires offset. I've heard that the deemax's don't fair well with the offset, can anyone confirm this? Also anyone with deemax's on your demo I'd appreciate your feedback, thanks.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I am pretty sure if it's anything like other specialized bikes that "use" the 135mm offset the wheel has to be a "dishless" type. Meaning the rim is centered in the hub flanges and not the axles. I thought that's what a 150mm rear end got away from, to build a stronger wheel.

I know it doesn't take much to shift the rim over the few mm's if that to do so. Get someone who is good at wheel building and have them re-center the rim in the rear end. Problem solved.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
On my '06 Demo 8, the hub is offset 6mm toward the drive side (this could also be explained as the rim being offset 6mm toward the non-drive side). This obviously requires an adjustment in spoke length, and when dishing the wheel you will need to put 12mm of spacers on the non-drive side to make sure the rim will sit in alignment with the rear triangle. (An extra 12mm of axle length, split equally between 2 sides of the wheel = 6mm of hub offset relative to the rim.)

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
The real question is why the hell are you staining a good bike like a demo with what is possibly the worst wheel in existance?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i am not sure if it matters but i got deemaxxs for my bighit SPEC and i had to dish the rim over half an inch to the left. (i did it by eye)and its pretty close to true. ive ridden it and its holding up so you can definitly dish it. *or at least its dishable*

ceng.dog

Chimp
Sep 23, 2007
The real question is why the hell are you staining a good bike like a demo with what is possibly the worst wheel in existance?
Says you....

I had Deemax on my 07 Demo 8, they were re-tensioned to allow for the dishing, and I had no problems with this, or their strength.
Most people that bash Deemax have never really ridden them

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Says you....

I had Deemax on my 07 Demo 8, they were re-tensioned to allow for the dishing, and I had no problems with this, or their strength.
I had em on my Sunday and I think they suck dogs balls.

Sorry to derail, can't help with the demo.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
I had a spec big hit and was going to upgrade to a demo frame, its this single reason (offset dish) that I didn't buy the demo frame. Small reason but I would probably be riding a demo now rather than an intense if specialized had a standard dish.

Also I dont get the 150 rear wheel and 73mm BB of the demo.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Says you....

Cenga?

I have not owned them, but I've seen the results of their pawl failures a few times. They are also bloody heavy and expensive.