Quantcast

Specialized Dissident Carbon DH Lid

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009
dissidentlead.jpg
Specialized rolled out their new line of full face helmets last year at Crankworx, to the delight of many. Inside you'll find some HQ photos and a review of the new lid, detailing why it may or may not be the best DH lid out there.
---

Words and Photos by David Peacock

The helmet is arguably the most important piece of downhill mountain bike equipment. Without it, our inevitable on-trail gaffs become drastically more lethal. Dramatic introduction aside, it’s imperative that one purchases the right lid. Personally, I’ve had a pair of serious concussions, one from mountain biking and the other from hockey, so my helmet is something I take seriously. If the fit isn’t right, the protection not sufficient, or the price too high it might not be the lid for you. But, make no mistake, price shouldn’t be the determining factor when selecting a helmet; you don’t want the paramedics to be wrestling a shoelace secured WalMart lid from your concussed corpse. I’ve always been a fan of the Giro Remedy from a simplicity and affordability standpoint, but there’s other factors to be considered, such as looking more badass and increasing your level of safety on the bike.

dissident1.jpg

dissident2.jpg

When I first donned the Specialized Dissident, a few things surprised me. Firstly, it’s weight, as the helmet is incredibly light. It’s ever so slightly lighter than the carbon D3 and the difference between a $150 Remedy and the Dissident is massive. It features the HelmetEJECT system which is designed to aid in helmet removal in the event of a spinal…it’s also Leatt Brace compatible, I don’t wear one, so I can’t speak to the practicality of this, but apparently if you’re so inclined you won’t feel restricted by the shape of the helmet against your brace. Helmet technology has come a long way in the last few years, but the fact remains that the innate fit of the helmet is the primary thing that riders will criticize or appreciate. My head is of average proportions; I don’t have a five-head or a mega-jaw, and my size “L” lid was immediately comfortable, though admittedly tighter than I was used to with my Remedy. At first I wasn’t sure if I had chosen the correct size, but I quickly realized that it fit as intended. The fact that it’s snug is good, it keeps your head from banging around inside and also prevents the mouth/jaw portion from ending up over your eyes (so you won’t be another joey rocking the “nose-guard” style lid). Another notable feature is how close the jaw-guard sits to your face, and how secure the padding is in that area. Having had one faceplant, I can safely (no pun intended) say that this prevents your face from slamming into the front of the helmet. Interestingly enough, I also found the Dissident to be kind of “sound proof”, which some might see as a good or bad thing. It dampens noises as a result of padding around your ears and mouth, making you quieter when speaking and often guilty of repeating “what?” when talking on the trail. That could be perhaps the most benign qualm with a helmet, but worth mentioning nonetheless.

dissident3.jpg

dissident4.jpg

The Dissident retails for $350, which is significantly cheaper than the D3. That's a very reasonable price for the safety of your brain and the comfort of wearing a quality full face. Not to mention, it looks really sweet. After the relatively unsuccessful Deviant, Specialized has a winner with the Dissident. It’s worth the price tag on comfort and safety alone, and has the aesthetics to boot. Well done, Big Red S, well done.

dissident5.jpg

[fblike]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253505&p=3826011#post3826011[/fblike]

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Do you have any side to side shots of the Dissident and D3? I'm wondering how different the helmet profiles are.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Having owned both the Dissident and the D3 I couldn't agree more with the review.
I feel that the Dissident is the superior helmet!

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Quality leaves a little to be desired. My cheek pads would come out every time I removed the helmet. Also, the foam in the "jaw guard" came detached from the body. However, both were remedied with a few dabs of glue.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Quality leaves a little to be desired. My cheek pads would come out every time I removed the helmet. Also, the foam in the "jaw guard" came detached from the body. However, both were remedied with a few dabs of glue.
I had these same issues. I had my jaw piece start to come undone and I've had my pads fall out on several occasions (scary when taking your helmet off on the lift). I took a spill on the first ride with it, breaking just the visor. I took it back to the dealer I got it from and they then put the blame on me for the quality control issues, and neglected to ever order me a visor (which I was fully willing to pay for). While I love the helmet, I remember now why I will never give Specialized, or their dealers, another dollar.

Disclaimer: I have worked for Specialized dealer in the past, and now work for a non-Specialized shop.

Last edited:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Specialized has been awesome to work for as far as warranty is concerned at the shop I work at. We sell Trek and Specialized and both sales reps and warranty reps are super easy to deal with. Sorry to hear about that.

ManChild

Chimp
Jul 25, 2012
I still think the ultimate dh lid still has to be made, all the standards from a safety point of view are for motorcycle type speeds.