Quantcast

Specialized Enduro for XC??

SoCal Life

Chimp
Nov 30, 2006
San Diego
I only have the cash for one bike and I do mostly XC/AM. I want a Fully cause I ride a lot of AM stuff like Noble Canyon, here in San Diego.

Is a Specialized Enduro(not the SL with the double crowned forks) a little to heavy to still lug around some XC trails? It weighs in at about 33lbs.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's fine if you are not racing. A race bike will be under 26 as an FS. That being said, a lighter set of tires for racing will bring the weight down and still allow you to have a great all mountain bike that you do not have to worry about breaking on daily rides.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yeah, that will work as a trail bike for sure but like The Joker said, you'll be at a disadvantage in an xc race.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That's what i've been using, it's been for the most part a great trail bike.
XC race bikes might be great for smooth non-technical climbing but if you like to bomb the descents it will not be near as fun.

My typical ride in the summer is an average of 20 miles and 3500' of vert. Alot of times if you naturally excel in cardio fitness, the bike you use doesn't excessively effect your ability to ride longer epics.

That being said the Enduro you're talking about comes with 2 different lower shock pivot brackets. i highly recommend running the one that raises your bottom bracket up, and steepens your head angle. The bike geometry is already set up to rip up the steepest techiest downhill sections, you don't need any more supposed stability by being lower and slacked out. In fact it will hinder your climbing ability because 4-bars are always lower to the ground and get lower into the suspension when active. That's a hassle because you are bashing pedals and have a lower clearance over rocks, logs, etc...

It's been a great bike for me, and i've been contemplating dumping money into a lightweight xc bike, but i keep dumping money into this bike.
My only current complaint is i'm looking to get rid of the DHX air and possibly getting a Roco, i really think it'll make it ride even better... just not satisfied with that shock.

TLadeau

Chimp
Oct 29, 2006
Hampton, NH
I use an enduro for xc just fine, but if you are going with 07, I would STRONGLY suggest you look into a stumpjumper. Its also a strong frame, strong components, and a lighter build. My friend has beat the living crap out of his 04 stumpy and it is still going strong. The 07 stumpies are amazing, and will be much more fun for long rides. Plus they have 5" of travel now, which they did not used to.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I have an Enduro set up with a Fox36 and have ridden xc no problem.
Now its nothing like my 20 pound race hartail but for regular xc its fine if you just keep in mind you won't be the first to the top of the climbs. But dont worry you can bomb the downhills. Being an ex downhill racer it i love it cause it feels alot like my old downhill bike.

elf 231

Chimp
Nov 24, 2006
at home
nope thatd be fine, my XC hardtail weighs a good bit more than that (and even though it handles like a lawnmower) i can handle the weight pretty well

Dec 22, 2006
Nanaimo, B.C Canada
Are you doing big drops at all? I would go with a Stumpjumper if your into all day trail riding. 5" travel, climbs like a hot damn and can be ridden hard downhill. Probably not the best for big drops ( 4 foot + ) and jumps though.

(oops, missed TLadeau's post. He is right though.)